What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

"I don't need to prove that J-20 is using Al-31FM2."

You need to prove Al-31FM2 actually exists and has sold and delivered to China. I am saying there is no proof that this engine exists beyond the announcement made by the Russian in 2012.

"its oustanding maneuverability at supersonic speed is achieved via afterburner.'

This is so silly. I have explained that outstanding maneuverability at supersonic speed, requires a powerful engine to replenish lost energy, to stay above the transonic region, which is very draggy, and requires much time and fuel, to pass beyond it. And if this engine, requires AB constantly, it will burn up its fuel rapidly, and have to go home, early.

This is no "outstanding maneuverability at supersonic speed".

It's just lame.

I have to have to say that insisting the AL-31F is even more nonsense than the steam catapult for the Type 002.

At least the steam catapult was the original design for the Type 002, but later got abandoned for the EMALS.

Meanwhile, the AL-31FM2 was never intended for the J-20. The engine of some earlier prototype bearing some resemblance to the AL-31F family members doesn't mean anything. Even the WS-13E bears a lot of resemblance to the RD-93, yet these are two completely diffrent engines.

Even With WS10b J20 can make limited supercruise, the possibility of Russian engine on J20 had been ruled out long time ago.

And we can't exclude the possibility WS15 had entered into service. Who damn knows?

This is what I thought, but when the J-20 pilot referred that the J-20 can super cruise like a beast, the WS-15 is also quite likely, since China always loves to keep in low profile.

Even if this engine is still not the definitive version of the WS-15, then this temporary substitute has also to be at least on par with the F119.

Last edited:
I have to have to say that insisting the AL-31F is even more nonsense than the steam catapult for the Type 002.

At least the steam catapult was the original design for the Type 002, but later got abandoned for the EMALS.

Meanwhile, the AL-31FM2 was never intended for the J-20. The engine of some earlier prototype bearing some resemblance to the AL-31F family members doesn't anything. Even the WS-13E bears a lot of resemblance to the RD-93, yet these are two completely diffrent engines.

This is what I thought, but when the J-20 pilot referred that the J-20 can super cruise like a beast, the WS-15 is also quite likely, since China always loves to keep in low profile.

Even if this engine is still not the definitive version of the WS-15, then this temporary substitute has also to be at least on par with the F119.

J-20's engine is much more powerful than F119. J-20 can perform sustained vertical climb w/o AB. Not even F-22 can do that, and J-20 is obviously much larger (3.5m longer) and heavier than F-22.

"Meanwhile, the AL-31FM2 was never intended for the J-20. The engine of some earlier prototype bearing some resemblance to the AL-31F family members doesn't anything."

There was never any reports of negotiations, sales and delivery of AL-31FM2 to China. If there was such sales, it is wholly unlike the previous arms sale between Russia and China, which are all registered with the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute SIPRI.

And superficial resemblance nozzle doesn't mean anything. No one has seen the whole picture of J-20's engine. So to conclude J-20 is using AL-31FM2 based on the superficial resemblance nozzle is groundless.

Last edited:
J-20's engine is much more powerful than F119. J-20 can perform sustained vertical climb w/o AB. Not even F-22 can do that, and J-20 is obviously much larger (3.5m longer) and heavier than F-22.

According to Deino, you cannot see the J-20 is using the AB or not while performing the 90 degree vertical climbing.

According to Gambit, the F-22 doesn't use the AB at all but pretending to use the AB. This is the comedy gold of the year.

Meanwhile, the AL-31FM2 was never intended for the J-20. The engine of some earlier prototype bearing some resemblance to the AL-31F family members doesn't anything. Even the WS-13E bears a lot of resemblance to the RD-93, yet these are two completely diffrent engines.

This is not mental masturbation, it's reasonable deduction. WS15 might have been in place, still remember how shocked the entire world was when J20 prototype made its debut in year 2011?

But I still think it's highly likely still WS10x, and IEP version customized for J20.

This is not mental mastication, it's reasonable deduction. WS15 might have been in place, still remember how shocked the entire world was when J20 prototype made its debut in year 2011?

In fact, most of us are rationally conservative guys when it comes to China's capability, yet we have been labelled as "fanboys" just for pointing out the reality.

Last edited:
According to Deino, you cannot see the J-20 is using the AB or not while performing the 90 degree vertical climbing.

According to Gambit, the F-22 doesn't use the AB at all but pretending to use the AB. This is the comedy gold of the year.

"According to Deino, you cannot see the J-20 is using the AB or not while performing the 90 degree vertical climbing."

He can't tell, huhh? It seems I can.

upload_2017-7-30_3-47-50.png
upload_2017-7-30_3-48-27.png

upload_2017-7-30_3-49-0.png

I will believe my own eyes (and Mr. Dieno can believe his). If I see the telltale sign of the red hot flame shooting out of the nozzles, I say it is using the AB.

"According to Gambit, the F-22 doesn't use the AB at all but pretending to use the AB. This is the comedy gold of the year."

This is very funny. It's golden. F-22 is just pretending to use AB, but its not using it at all.

In fact, most of us are rational conservative guys when it comes to China's capability, yet we have been labelled as "fanboys" just for pointing out the reality.
I don't mind other calling me fan boy , it only makes me feel even more proud.

"According to Deino, you cannot see the J-20 is using the AB or not while performing the 90 degree vertical climbing."

He can't tell, huhh? It seems I can.

View attachment 415048View attachment 415049

View attachment 415050

I will believe my own eyes (and Mr. Dieno can believe his). If I see the telltale sign of the red hot flame shooting out of the nozzles, I say it is using the AB.

"According to Gambit, the F-22 doesn't use the AB at all but pretending to use the AB. This is the comedy gold of the year."

This is very funny. It's golden. F-22 is just pretending to use AB, but its not using it at all.
Pretend to use AB? :rofl:

I said nothing of the kind. This is just one out of many technical issues that escaped you no matter how many attempts.

I said nothing of the kind. This is just one out of many technical issues that escaped you no matter how many attempts.

You can say whatever you want, it doesn't bother me at all.

Just like those anti-China trolls keep babbling about how the J-20 is still using the AL-31F, and I won't even bother to reply them anymore.

Because for them, a lie repeating in thousand times can become the truth, while for me, a lie repeating in thousand times is still a lie.

Guys, J-20 is using either WS-10X( more likely) or
WS-15(less likely).
These Russian AL-31 derivative speculation is totally silly.

What an absolute beast the J-20 is it seems. After the report from the pilots, I am convinced J-20 is
on par with F-22.

Guys, J-20 is using either WX-10X( more likely) or
WS-15(less likely).

What an absolute beast the J-20 is it seems. After the report from the pilots, I am convinced J-20 is
on par with F-22.

Totally agree, even the J-20 is still currently using an inferior temporary substitute of the WS-15, but this particular engine is still extremely powerful, and it does look on par with the F119.

Guys, J-20 is using either WX-10X( more likely) or
WS-15(less likely).

on par with F-22.

Well it's not. It could be close, but that's it.

Totally agree, even the J-20 is still using an inferior temporary substitute of the WS-15, but this particular engine is still extremely powerful, and it does look on par with the F119.

I think Chinese stealth fighters are going to be popular exports for countries who want a cheaper 5th gen fighter or just don't like the US.

China has a good opportunity to make some big bucks.

I think Chinese stealth fighters are going to be popular exports for countries who want a cheaper 5th gen fighter or just don't like the US.

China has a good opportunity to make some big bucks.

China is planning to export the J-31.

Back
Top Bottom