What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Says who ?... You.. what are your qualifications ??

On whats grounds can you prove it as an AESA ?.. 120 IQ ?

Ever studied about radar engineering...

Answer one correctly I would show you the Indian X-band AESA FCR... along with Transistor chips...

Because i have the direct proof.

J-11 with AESA

10cromh.jpg

J-10B with PESA, but it was the early prototype.

dg2jag.jpg

So it is better to STFU if you have nothing to contribute except trolling. :coffee:

Stealth comes with a cost. Extreme levels of stealth drastically increases the cost per aircraft. The ultra-stealthy skin on an F-22 takes 30 hours of maintenance effort to sustain 1 hour of flight time. If the J-20 is shooting for F-22 levels of stealth, I suspect that similar problems would be encountered.
You need to stop believing that crap from Rachel Maddow. The F-22 has far less absorber than the F-117 does. The reason why extra care must be taken in maintenance is not because of the material itself but because of minute surface imperfections that may raise the aircraft's RCS above a certain threshold...

surface_discont_diffract.jpg

radar_groove_wave_reflect.jpg

Surface wave behaviors can occur at unpredictable moments, especially during maneuvers, so the problem for maintainers is to reduce surface imperfections that can create diffractions as illustrated above. That does not mean the F-22 is completely free of tiny nicks, divots, or gouges. Flying through the atmosphere inevitably will give any aircrafts such. It is that as long as those tiny nicks, divots, and gouges do not make the aircraft's RCS rise above a certain threshold, the aircraft is considered fit for combat. Each aircraft is periodically measured after X amount of flight hours and if any RCS is measured to be above a certain threshold, and that figure is secret, then the aircraft is removed from the list to be 'reconditioned' to get it below that threshold.

The point here is that in a real shooting war, stealth is not the only factor to consider.
But for now, low radar observability is the highest. The F-22 may be costly, but losing a war or publicly capitulate because your air force has been shredded is much more expensive. Your choice.

Look Carefully.....B2 FLAT is it ?

B2 uses a triangle frontally and a serrated trailing edge however it uses continuos curvature, it has been smoothed to a degree it becomes aerodynamically efficient, contrary to the Older Generation Stealth Design Like F-117 with its anti-aerodynamic multi faceted fuselage and airfoils, the continous curvature adds aerodynamic efficiency and scatters radar waves away at different directions but following the leading edge swept of the flying wing. Flattened things have small cross sections, the B-2 Stealth Bomber have been minimized to a degree the amount of radar reflections is decreased as the aerodynamically cross section has.
You need to stop believing that 'continuous curvature' crap. That phrasing does not exist in low radar observable engineering literature. At least not in the reputable kind.

You need to stop believing that crap from Rachel Maddow. The F-22 has far less absorber than the F-117 does. The reason why extra care must be taken in maintenance is not because of the material itself but because of minute surface imperfections that may raise the aircraft's RCS above a certain threshold...

Didn't the new RAM "zip strips" reduce the RCS maint time?

Thanks Wet-Shirt Context and Gambit your post are very informative, i'll ask more questions later 1st let me absorb this.
from where you guys get this info ?
Speaking for myself: Ten years active USAF and almost ten more years in civilian aviation in the same avionics field. I used to design field tests involving radars and targets, air- and water-borne, off the Florida coast.

Didn't the new RAM "zip strips" reduce the RCS maint time?
Not for RCS maintenance but for panels that are designed for maintenance purposes. Those panels have gaps that will raise certain areas above a certain threshold and those gaps cannot be helped IF the aircraft is to be field maintainable. So the 'zip strips' are used to cover up those gaps.

You need to stop believing that 'continuous curvature' crap. That phrasing does not exist in low radar observable engineering literature. At least not in the reputable kind.

I Guess Even F-22 uses a combination of different ways (including Continuous curves ) to keep radar waves from bouncing back to their origin ?

st_anim_edges-curves.gif

B‐2 
outer 
has 
a 
variable 
radius, continuous
curve 
that 
deflects 
RADAR
 waves
 at 
any 
angle
 (non‐tangential 
surface)......
reducing 
RCS.
..?

I Guess Even F-22 uses a combination of different ways (including Continuous curves ) to keep radar waves from bouncing back to their origin ?

st_anim_edges-curves.gif

B‐2 
outer 
has 
a 
variable 
radius, continuous
curve 
that 
deflects 
RADAR
 waves
 at 
any 
angle
 (non‐tangential 
surface)......
reducing 
RCS.
..?
Give me a credible source for that 'continuous curvature' phrasing. I want to see its proper context.

I know where you lifted that image. I want to see a credible technical source.

Give me a credible source for that 'continuous curvature' phrasing. I want to see its proper context.

Gambit Google is Not My friend :-)
That the best i can try for now
___________________________________________________________________________________

Stealth
 Part
http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/B2Spr09.pdf

___________________________________________________________________________________
F22 Continuous curves Part
:: F-22 Raptor Stealthfighter ::

FYI I Read some Few Interesting Documents on CC Need To find them....
Regards

Not for RCS maintenance but for panels that are designed for maintenance purposes. Those panels have gaps that will raise certain areas above a certain threshold and those gaps cannot be helped IF the aircraft is to be field maintainable. So the 'zip strips' are used to cover up those gaps.

So the RCS coating for the aircraft as a whole is maintained with a different technique?
Is it the same putty used on the F-117?if I recall correctly that was a tedious task..

Gambit Google is Not My friend :-)
That the best i can try for now

Stealth
 Part
http://www.dept.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/B2Spr09.pdf

F22 Continuous curves Part
:: F-22 Raptor Stealthfighter ::

FYI I Read some Few Interesting Documents on CC Need To find them....
Regards
The idea behind that phrasing is 'surface discontinuities' and it is a more accurate and precise descriptor on how these post F-117 aircrafts are designed. Surface discontinuities can be large or small and even structural, as where two or more structures meet and because of aerodynamic demands, a curvature must be interrupted. The one thing I consistently try to do here is introduce the correct terminologies used in the field.

So the RCS coating for the aircraft as a whole is maintained with a different technique?
Is it the same putty used on the F-117?if I recall correctly that was a tedious task..
Yes. Try to differentiate between material formula versus structure. Ferrite particles embedded below the surface is material. Gouges, nicks, and dings from flight or rocks stuck on underside of boots are structural, meaning they do not affect the ferrite particles at all. A gouge is a structural defect.

The idea behind that phrasing is 'surface discontinuities' and it is a more accurate and precise descriptor on how these post F-117 aircrafts are designed. Surface discontinuities can be large or small and even structural, as where two or more structures meet and because of aerodynamic demands, a curvature must be interrupted. The one thing I consistently try to do here is introduce the correct terminologies used in the field.

I don't Think So, I can't Upload paper docs on pdf....maybe this can help (lil info on Cc)
Inside the Stealth Bomber - Bill Sweetman - Google Books

Yes. Try to differentiate between material formula versus structure. Ferrite particles embedded below the surface is material. Gouges, nicks, and dings from flight or rocks stuck on underside of boots are structural, meaning they do not affect the ferrite particles at all. A gouge is a structural defect.

I do believe when the F-22 is maintained special cotten socks or something of that sort is worn? is it not?
which brings another question.. do RAM coatings cover the entire aircraft? or just these irregularities such as maint panels, bay doors edges.. etc.

I do believe when the F-22 is maintained special cotten socks or something of that sort is worn? is it not?
They are called 'booties'. Once I was assigned to work on a 'special' F-16 that required 'booties' to go over the combat boots. Either that or remove the combat boots completely prior to climbing on the aircraft. Other guys did not know why this F-16 was 'special' but I did. People have no idea how much the F-16 was the test bed for so many 'stealth' principles that became applications. The F-16 will have a very honored place in aviation history in more ways than believe.

which brings another question.. do RAM coatings cover the entire aircraft? or just these irregularities such as maint panels, bay doors edges.. etc.
For the F-22, absorbers are strategically placed at leading edges such as flight control surfaces and intake lips. Much are said about composites relating to 'stealth' but the truth is that composites on the F-22 and F-35 are more for weight saving measures than for RCS control. Composites does not automatically equal to 'stealth'. Concrete and plywood are composites -- gross. Stainless steel is a composite -- molecular. When shaping is enough to lower RCS to below a certain level, absorber that will increase maintenance complexity and manufacturing costs while are of negligible benefits is no benefit at all.

Back
Top Bottom