What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

February 4, 2009 Wednesday

Russia to supply over 100 fighter plane engines to China - Rosoboronexport

Text of report by Russian state news agency ITAR-TASS

Moscow , 4 February: Russia has signed its first contract in 2009 with China on the supply of over 100 aircraft engines for J-10 planes, Rosoboronexport Director-General Anatoliy Isaykin has said.

"The world's leading analysts think that the People's Republic of China will continue to buy military transport aircraft, including strategic refuelling tankers, long-range radar surveillance and carrier-borne aircraft, as well as aircraft engines. By the way, our first contract in 2009 was signed with China on the supply of over 100 aircraft engines for J-10 planes," Isaykin said in an interview with Nezavisimaya Gazeta published today.

"That country is also showing keen interest in air defence equipment. Our partners pay great attention to upgrading their navy through imports as well," he added.

At the same time, the Rosoboronexport head noted that the expanding geography and increasing volumes of Russian military exports "logically lead to the reduction of China 's share in our arms exports."

"It is quite likely that it may drop from 40 per cent to 10 per cent. We are not concerned about that because the volume of sales remains high," Isaykin predicted.

Source: ITAR-TASS news agency, Moscow , in Russian 0810 gmt 4 Feb 09

it is being claimed that the FC20 will be flying in pakistan by 2009-2010, right?

but where are they, no news of FC20 being in production, no news of its specs,,,, can anyone help us??

i guess it may turn out to be a surprise item just as the J10 did s there is no option as if they are to enter PAF in 2009 they must be well under production!!

i also have a small problem or query with the FC20

they are said to be massive upgrade of the J10 that will be able to counter any of its counter-part, but the point is that i dont think we have given enough time to J10 to become fully known and they perform some improvement,

dont you people think so that the J10 plane being new itself, how can it be MASSIVELY improved to become FC20!!

thanks

One of the things that irks me about this news, is that although ACM has made his intentions well known, regarding FC20s, we have not heard officially about a contract being signed for the same. Is this usual in Sino PAk relations?
If the contract has not been signed, how can we expect PAF to have these planes by 20009/10. The circumstances may well change if the clouds over our skies darkened, but unless they do, i expect, a contract in 09/10 and arrival of planes in 3 yrs.
WaSalam
Araz

PAF FC-20s will be using Russian engines...

Pakistan to introduce 36 China-made fighter planes | Pakistan Daily

Pakstan's air force picked the FC-20 from dozens of candidates as it adapted Russian engines with the most advanced thrust vectoring technology, the general said.
I am still sceptical of Russian engines, why would PAF want the infamous AL-31 in their latest greatest jets? It is my opinion that they will wait for the WS-10A to be cleared for use on J-10, if it isn't already.

I have read an article somewhere saying that China has shown their own TVC nozzle for WS-10A in development (might be finished now), it was shown deflecting 15 degrees horizontally and vertically under full afterburner. But I don't see why J-10 needs TVC anyway. Typhoon, Rafale and Gripen don't, so why does J-10?

Last edited:
Well according to the article i posted , and assuming its true, the Chinese have ordered 100 new russian engines in 2009 so it clearly shows the WS-10A isn't ready yet.

Well according to the article i posted , and assuming its true, the Chinese have ordered 100 new russian engines in 2009 so it clearly shows the WS-10A isn't ready yet.
Wrong, it is in use on the J-11B from what I have read.:) According to people on Chinese forums, new orders are because China can't produce enough WS-10A yet, so they are having to order more AL-31 to keep all the current and new J-10/J-11 flying.

Last edited:
hi everyone. this is my first time posting, so i hope i do this right.
what variant of the j-10 is paf intending to procure? there's a j-10a and a j-10b, which one is coming our way? also, how many is paf going to get . i know the current order is for 36, but i heard a rumour for 100. is that true? finally, when will these aircraft be inducted into the paf? thanks.:pakistan:

This is the best quality video of the J-10 I have seen till date. I hope it has not been posted here before.

To answer the above questions, nobody is sure which variant of the J-10 exactly will chosen as Pakistan's FC-20 (most people here lean towards the J-10B which is still under development). We are not even sure whether or not the first FC-20s will be customized for Pakistani use or not. However, I my knowledge is limited and someone else could end up coming up with a credible source to answer the questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everyone. this is my first time posting, so i hope i do this right.
what variant of the j-10 is paf intending to procure? there's a j-10a and a j-10b, which one is coming our way? also, how many is paf going to get . i know the current order is for 36, but i heard a rumour for 100. is that true? finally, when will these aircraft be inducted into the paf? thanks.:pakistan:

read through the thread as all the information you asked is there.

In short, nobody knows which variant PAF will get. They are looking for western avionics and radar so its probably going to be something a bit different from what the PLAF has. Its also going to be called the FC-20. J10b isn't out yet so nobody knows what's in it. Rumors have it that there is TVC and DSI and probably a more powerful radar.

PAF ACM said in Sept 2008, that a deal would be signed for 36 FC-20s within the next 12 months. So you can estimate the time yourself of the deliveries. More FC-20 could be procured after we get the first ones and are satisfied with it and/or there is some problem with the F-16 blk 52s that we are getting.

Hope that helps but I suggest you go through the thread for more details

In short, nobody knows which variant PAF will get. They are looking for western avionics and radar so its probably going to be something a bit different from what the PLAF has. Its also going to be called the FC-20. J10b isn't out yet so nobody knows what's in it. Rumors have it that there is TVC and DSI and probably a more powerful radar.

PAF ACM said in Sept 2008, that a deal would be signed for 36 FC-20s within the next 12 months. So you can estimate the time yourself of the deliveries. More FC-20 could be procured after we get the first ones and are satisfied with it and/or there is some problem with the F-16 blk 52s that we are getting.
This interview is an excellent insight into PAF procurements:
Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said:
...150 JF-17 Thunders and 36 F-10A aircraft will also be joining PAF, and more F-10s can be expected. Most probably we will also purchase FC-20 fighter aircraft from China.
There you go. The first 36 J-10 will likely be A models (F-10A), but upgraded variant (FC-20, seems to be J-10B) will likely be procured - probably depending on economic situation.

Also, we know little about J-10B. The only source on it that I know of is this:
China working on 'Super-10' advanced fighter - Jane's Air Forces News

This article indicates an aircraft designated Super-10 will be a J-10 upgraded with passive phased array (PESA) radar and 3D TVC being the notable new features. This is according to Russian sources. Many believe this is referring to J-10B. But it is important to remember that Janes Defence don't know anything about secret Chinese stuff, this is basically just Russian rumours - probably the same Russians who claim "J-10 is a LAVI but modified by Russia, not China." Also note that this article is from 2006, it is 3 years old.

It is important to bear in mind, everything about J-10B/Super-10 that we know is basically just rumours, so we shouldn't go around telling people stupid crap like "YES PAF WILL HAVE 150 J-10B UPGRADED WITH WESTERN RADAR AND AVIONICS AND MISSILES, blah blah blah."

PAFACe thanks for posting the vid. Can anybody tell me what the white smoke being blown out backwards from the J-10 at 0:50 is? Looks like it is being blown out of the engine.
Interesting points of the video:
1:17 the J-10 starts the take-off run
1:34 the J-10 lifts off the ground
1:35 the J-10 goes vertical
All this is done with NO afterburner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom