What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

i was just going through some pics hear u or any other may know the answer but fc20 hear have a smaller nose cone then j10b i mean its not final but it does show absence of AESA or im wrong plz speculate
john&

FC-20 hasn't been finalized yet and I don't think pictures have leaked out just yet. Also your picture isn't showing.

I hope it is going to be the J-10B. J-10A, while a capable plane right now, may be a bit outdated when Pakistan purchases it in 2014 when a recent influx of stealth fighters (F-35/PAK-FA) ruins the regional air-power balance. Later along the roads (2020ish) I am hoping that China will produce stealth variants of the J-10. A dedicated stealth air superiority fighter is going to be very expensive, as demonstrated by the F-22 and PAK-FA, so a "converted" Fourth Gen Fighter similar to the Silent Eagle may be a more economical solution.

indeed......well I dont see somthing like F-22 coming out in Asia and Europe....all outputs will remain near JSF standards....even PAK-FA will be a LO instead of all aspect stealth lyk Raptor same can be expected from JXX as well....even with PAK-FA having its tail exposed, would be vulnerable to IRSTs and heat seeking missile ( not to mention the "hoard" of radars put on it in hope of finding F-22) which means that PAK-FA will have greater radar emissions as compared to even JSF...so IMHO a good maneuverable fighter with potent radar system will be able to track PAK-FA at reasonable distance

indeed......well I dont see somthing like F-22 coming out in Asia and Europe....all outputs will remain near JSF standards....even PAK-FA will be a LO instead of all aspect stealth lyk Raptor same can be expected from JXX as well....even with PAK-FA having its tail exposed, would be vulnerable to IRSTs and heat seeking missile ( not to mention the "hoard" of radars put on it in hope of finding F-22) which means that PAK-FA will have greater radar emissions as compared to even JSF...so IMHO a good maneuverable fighter with potent radar system will be able to track PAK-FA at reasonable distance

If it is vulnerable to heat seeking missiles, it can't be called a fifth generation aircraft, merely 4th generation.

Do not underestimate Russians, you think Russians took so much time even to design PAK-FA to make it as 4th generation?

If it is vulnerable to heat seeking missiles, it can't be called a fifth generation aircraft, merely 4th generation.
actually IR stealth is not a requirement of 5th gen, the JSF didn't have very good engine masking too and it is call 5th gen as well... engine masking double the cost of maintenance as it requires the engine to be embedded deep inside and harder to extract engine out. cost of servicing the F22 is 4 times that of eurofighter...

i don't see it as a major issue, if you are close enough to get a IR missile on your tail, you are probably close enough to be detected each other on the radar anyway.
:flame:

actually IR stealth is not a requirement of 5th gen, the JSF didn't have very good engine masking too and it is call 5th gen as well... engine masking double the cost of maintenance as it requires the engine to be embedded deep inside and harder to extract engine out. cost of servicing the F22 is 4 times that of eurofighter...

i don't see it as a major issue, if you are close enough to get a IR missile on your tail, you are probably close enough to be detected each other on the radar anyway.
:flame:

Point noted.

So you are saying F-22's engine is masked enough that it is not prone to heat seeking missiles?

If IR stealth is not a requirement for 5th gen, can't enemy fighters monitor it thru their radars by the heat signatures?

No jet has complete stealth from all aspects. Even the Raptor can be tracked by a reasonably modern infra-red seeking missile at a certain range. The Raptors skin has radar-absorbing structures and paint. The heat-signatures have been concealed to a limited extent. But common-sense says as long as there is an after-burner flame emmiting from the engine, there will be heat-enough for a missile to get a lock on it. Here is a view of the heat-signature of an F-22 Raptor:
20fs0pf.jpg

This picture of J-10 shows two different types of the aircraft. One is J-10a, the other one is either J10b or FC-20.

24c5og3.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair to Raptor That picture is taken at very close distance.Put Raptor 20KM away and infrared wont be able detect it even at 10KM i doubt it will be able to detect it considering the fact that FA18 Pilot could not lock onto F22 even though he could see the pilot of f22 through canopy.I doubt any F22 Pilot would let enemy jets anywhere near 50KM much less 3-5 KM.

To be fair to Raptor That picture is taken at very close distance.Put Raptor 20KM away and infrared wont be able detect it even at 10KM i doubt it will be able to detect it considering the fact that FA18 Pilot could not lock onto F22 even though he could see the pilot of f22 through canopy.I doubt any F22 Pilot would let enemy jets anywhere near 50KM much less 3-5 KM.

r u suggesting that the F-22 is vulnerable at WVR!

Back
Top Bottom