What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

The WS-13 will need three years to mature but in the RD-93 will (the recent rumours of a sanction are, as a matter of fact, just rumours) do nicely for the time being.

As for the WS-10A, keep in mind that unlike J-10 and J-10A (which are often used interchangeably) the WS-10A is an improved version of the earlier WS-10. I admit that there are still problems with quality control but the WS-10A has already solved many of the problems on the original prototype (increasing the thrust and enhancing engine life time). Keep in mind that dependence on foreign engines has plagued the PLAAF for the past few decades and therefore is a priority that will be sorted out ASAP.

Sir,
I think you have to read this one

Chinese AVIC Top Head admits the Poor Quality of Jet Engine
Posted on 02 April 2009

Apr.2 (China Defense Mashup Reporting by Johnathan Weng) -- Mr. Lin Zuoming (林左鸣), the top head of ACIC (Aviation Industry Corporation of China), has to admit that China's "Taihang" WS-10 Turbofan engine is still unsatisfactory in its quality.

In one of his opening letter, he says that the military aircraft engine production has been the "chronic illness" in Chinese aviation industry and he urges that the solving of "Taihang" WS-10 Turbofan engine is the key step to reinforce the Quality Control Procedure in AVIC.

Now PLA Air Force has install some WS-10 engine on its J-11B dual-engine heavy fighters for evaluation. But the result is not positive. Some resources report that the quality of WS-10 engine is terrible and PLA Air Force has begun to lose patiency of purchasing more WS-10 engine.

In early March 2009, One Chinese PLA Air Force Pilot sucessfully made a forced landing of one J-10 fighter due to the air shut-down of AL-31F engine. As one kind of single engine fighter, J-10 is very dangerous when power system in trouble.

As a result, PLA Air Force has been knowing the stability of Russian engines and just imported AL-31F engines before the finish of WS-10 development. But the fact shows that the WS-10 engine just looks advanced but has no real advantages to AL-31F.

The forced landing accident warns PLA Air Force that the aviation engines has been the killing shortages of its J-10 and J-11 fleets. No combat aircraft after all can fight without reliable engines.

Chinese AVIC Top Head admits the Poor Quality of Jet Engine|China Military Power Mashup

Sir,
I think you have to read this one

Chinese AVIC Top Head admits the Poor Quality of Jet Engine
Posted on 02 April 2009

Apr.2 (China Defense Mashup Reporting by Johnathan Weng) -- Mr. Lin Zuoming (林左鸣), the top head of ACIC (Aviation Industry Corporation of China), has to admit that China's "Taihang" WS-10 Turbofan engine is still unsatisfactory in its quality.

In one of his opening letter, he says that the military aircraft engine production has been the "chronic illness" in Chinese aviation industry and he urges that the solving of "Taihang" WS-10 Turbofan engine is the key step to reinforce the Quality Control Procedure in AVIC.

Now PLA Air Force has install some WS-10 engine on its J-11B dual-engine heavy fighters for evaluation. But the result is not positive. Some resources report that the quality of WS-10 engine is terrible and PLA Air Force has begun to lose patiency of purchasing more WS-10 engine.

In early March 2009, One Chinese PLA Air Force Pilot sucessfully made a forced landing of one J-10 fighter due to the air shut-down of AL-31F engine. As one kind of single engine fighter, J-10 is very dangerous when power system in trouble.

As a result, PLA Air Force has been knowing the stability of Russian engines and just imported AL-31F engines before the finish of WS-10 development. But the fact shows that the WS-10 engine just looks advanced but has no real advantages to AL-31F.

The forced landing accident warns PLA Air Force that the aviation engines has been the killing shortages of its J-10 and J-11 fleets. No combat aircraft after all can fight without reliable engines.

Chinese AVIC Top Head admits the Poor Quality of Jet Engine|China Military Power Mashup

You have to read this one more carefully. It says "WS-10", the older version of the engine. This lineage's later evolution is the WS-10A that is now being installed on J-11B.

the engine production is not a child's play. Apart from US, Russia and Few European countries, no one is in the business yet. Why? because its not that simple...Look at China, its been decades of development behind WS-10 and yet its not perfected. The same is with Kaveri.....so dont expect WS-10 to be coming out flawless in the first place. But having designed one, now China will be able to look forward for bug fixing rather than painful development....so still a good achievement for China IMHO...

If the J-10B has, as widely speculated, AESA capabilities then it should be in the same league as the latest block F-16s. Three F-2s, with phased array radars and high end electronics, still got locked on by two J-10s during an encounter at Senkaku Island. I believe J-10 has a lot of untapped potentials.

Thats what I was looking for from quite some time. I think this event is about a year older yrt?....can you please provide me with a link for further details of this event? TIA:tup:

Suppose the cost of the F-16 Block 52 C/Ds and J10 is the same and both are available to PAF by US and China, which one PAF select?

Cost of F-16E/F US$26.9 million (2005) - Wikipedia

Cost of J-10 - (27.84 million USD; 2010 - Wikipedia

you forgot to look at the years.....now F-16 Costs around 60 Mio and J-10 about 40 Mio

The range and play load really matters in modern air combat as you need to run away from the enemy Air to Air long range to missiles in order to evade it and come back to the combat range again to engage. So the more range you have, more you can sustain.

and about play load, the kill probability increases if you fire 2 missiles to one enemy target. More missiles & weapons is always an advantage.

aaah...I think you have been playing a simulation lately....but hay, there is a good military medicine for this problem by the name of Air Launched Standoff missiles and Glide Bombs

You have to read this one more carefully. It says "WS-10", the older version of the engine. This lineage's later evolution is the WS-10A that is now being installed on J-11B.

Buddy i am already read it first look the date of the news and if you miss this part so read it again

If they are still importing Russian engine then how can you claim that their new version is ready and already installed in their aircraft .

aaah...I think you have been playing a simulation lately....but hay, there is a good military medicine for this problem by the name of Air Launched Standoff missiles and Glide Bombs

1) Only Simulation can be possible today plus various air force exercise results to analyze aircraft capabilities as i mentioned earlier only once air combat happened where both sides have advanced aircrafts with BVR capabilities.(Ethiopia-Eritrea War, 1999) else are simulations/interpretations.

2) Cant understand how Air Launched Standoff missiles and Glide Bombs can substitute range weapon play load. Pls explain.

Cheers..

If the J-10B has, as widely speculated, AESA capabilities then it should be in the same league as the latest block F-16s. Three F-2s, with phased array radars and high end electronics, still got locked on by two J-10s during an encounter at Senkaku Island. I believe J-10 has a lot of untapped potentials.

Can you provide the link pls?

1) Only Simulation can be possible today plus various air force exercise results to analyze aircraft capabilities as i mentioned earlier only once air combat happened where both sides have advanced aircrafts with BVR capabilities.(Ethiopia-Eritrea War, 1999) else are simulations/interpretations.

2) Cant understand how Air Launched Standoff missiles and Glide Bombs can substitute range weapon play load. Pls explain.

Cheers..

the main purpose of stand off missiles and glide bombs is to take out the target without entering into the range of enemy air defence.....now such weapons are available from range of 60 KM to 500 or 1000KM as well

the main purpose of stand off missiles and glide bombs is to take out the target without entering into the range of enemy air defence.....now such weapons are available from range of 60 KM to 500 or 1000KM as well

Those weapons are made against land or sea based target, not for Air to Air roles

Those weapons are made against land or sea based target, not for Air to Air roles

plz clarify you context of earlier posts as range is most cruicial for strike missions. you dont go deep in enemy territory just to engage their aircrafts....:lol: I am amazed

plz clarify you context of earlier posts as range is most cruicial for strike missions. you dont go deep in enemy territory just to engage their aircrafts....:lol: I am amazed

Just to clarify, I talked about only Air to Air roles not for strike missions..!!

Pls read my earlier posts, I wrote heavy fighter can carry more weapons & longer range, this machine can stay in the combat area more time, can run away to escape from incoming missiles and enter again come back and re engage.

Back
Top Bottom