What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Can anyone tell me PAF to get that fighter.

They already are. In 2014 I think the PAF is going to start purchasing J-10Bs.

Only the basic shape is copied.

Most other subsystems in J-11B, radar, avionics, materials, RCS etc is superior to MKK2.

That's right. The Su-27 airframe is superb so it makes a great testbed for indigenous radars and avionics. I still think that the primary reason the PLA risked confrontations with the Russians to develop the J-11 is that the PLA must end its dependency on Russian munitions/engines. Just look at what happened to Argentina during the Falkland Wars when the French stopped selling the Exocets!

I read somewhere that in PLAAF combat exercises, the basic J-10A was able to defeat Su-27 and MKK, so J-10A is good enough - some say that it's comparable to F-16C/D blk 52.

The results of the exercise came as a great shock to the PLA. The J-10As were on the "Blue", or the "enemy", side of the Red-Blue Exercise since their stats/attributes closesly matched those of the F-16. This is also one of the reasons (the other being the introduction of J-11B) why PLAAF stopped importing the Su-30s, at least for now.

International Assessment and Strategy Center > Research > China’s Aviation Sector: Building Toward World Class Capabilities

Some reports also suggest that the J-10B is primarily intended to meet a requirement from Pakistan. These modifications point to the J-10 having evolved rapidly toward a 4+ generation level of capability.

Mark,

Good find---good article---shows how difficult is it to make a turbofan---.

A realistic article----the writer wished he new more about the chinese program.

Only the basic shape is copied.

Most other subsystems in J-11B, radar, avionics, materials, RCS etc is superior to MKK2.

Agree, I think the engine being used still from Russia only as their experiment for new engine encountered technical snags.

The only difference is that being a medium fighter it just lacks the range and payload of a heavyweight fighter.

The range and play load really matters in modern air combat as you need to run away from the enemy Air to Air long range to missiles in order to evade it and come back to the combat range again to engage. So the more range you have, more you can sustain.

and about play load, the kill probability increases if you fire 2 missiles to one enemy target. More missiles & weapons is always an advantage.

Suppose the cost of the F-16 Block 52 C/Ds and J10 is the same and both are available to PAF by US and China, which one PAF select?

Cost of F-16E/F US$26.9 million (2005) - Wikipedia

Cost of J-10 - (27.84 million USD; 2010 - Wikipedia

Suppose the cost of the F-16 Block 52 C/Ds and J10 is the same and both are available to PAF by US and China, which one PAF select?

Dear,

The 2006 Price at which Pakistan Ordered F16 Bl52+ was almost 65 Mil USD, coming up to little less than 80 Mil USD (with spares) per unit. The figure you have quoted is quite old.

Also, the J10B estimated induction cost in 2014~2015 is around 40~45 Mil USD (with spares) per unit.

Regards,
Sapper

Sorry, but I just simply cannot believe that the very latest E/F variant would only cost $27mil.

Even if J-10 and F-16 were priced the same, PAF should go for both.
Although F-16 might be better in some areas it comes with strings attached.
You don't want all your top end fighters being grounded by sanctions do you?!

Last edited:
If the J-10B has, as widely speculated, AESA capabilities then it should be in the same league as the latest block F-16s. Three F-2s, with phased array radars and high end electronics, still got locked on by two J-10s during an encounter at Senkaku Island. I believe J-10 has a lot of untapped potentials.

If the J-10B has, as widely speculated, AESA capabilities then it should be in the same league as the latest block F-16s. Three F-2s, with phased array radars and high end electronics, still got locked on by two J-10s during an encounter at Senkaku Island. I believe J-10 has a lot of untapped potentials.

Sir,
I think all major components of j10b is still under development include engine, radar, aviation so how can you compare a aircraft under development with one the the worlds best aircraft ???

Sir,
I think all major components of j10b is still under development include engine, radar, aviation so how can you compare a aircraft under development with one the the worlds best aircraft ???

sorry can't stop my self

the same way the Indian compare their TEJAS with TYPHON

:)

i think you missed to read this part
he is enlightening you with practical example :hitwall::hitwall:

on my note

thanks bro great news for me :victory::victory:
:china::pakistan:

Sir,

If something as basic as the engine were still under development you wouldn't see all those J-10bs running around in the airfields my friend. The Chinese government has the annoying tendency (for military fans, anyways) to guard any newly developed tech closesly. The J-10A, for example, wasn't formally announced until 2006, when several squadrons of the said plane was already in service in the PLAAF.

As for what I said about the J-10b being in the same league as the F-16E it is only my personal opinion. No one can no for certain just how good the J-10b is since the stats have not been leaked. I'm making a bit of a jump by upscaling the J-10A's performance. Only time will tell if I am right or not.

J10 B would be better then F16E/F...PAF is not waiting to get something equal to block 52 F16C/D...if J10B were equal to Block 52 they would hve got more F16 rather then waiting for 5 years for J10B. i hope you get my point...china is working quietly regardless of wat ppl think and comment abt its technological advancement..China will rise high very soon in Fighter jet Industry.:china:

sorry can't stop my self

the same way the Indian compare their TEJAS with TYPHON

I think you never agreed with me but Chinese made engine are highly doubtful.

They are still testing engine for jf17 and that take minimum 3 years to be mature and here we are talking about 4.5 gen fighters.

Well lets wait and watch but till then comparing with others is just prediction

I think you never agreed with me but Chinese made engine are highly doubtful.

They are still testing engine for jf17 and that take minimum 3 years to be mature and here we are talking about 4.5 gen fighters.

Well lets wait and watch but till then comparing with others is just prediction

The WS-13 used by the JF-17 has been successfully tested in flight recently. The WS-10A that will eventually replace the AL-31s have been successfully tested as well and will exclusively equip future J-10s and J-11Bs.

I never said that the J-10B comparison with F-16E WASN'T just my prediction.

The WS-13 used by the JF-17 has been successfully tested in flight recently. The WS-10A that will eventually replace the AL-31s have been successfully tested as well and will exclusively equip future J-10s and J-11Bs.

I never said that the J-10B comparison with F-16E WASN'T just my prediction.

WS-13 tested first time so it need almost 3 years i think you also cant deny that

And about engine of j10 found out some thing about it on wikipedia

The AL-31FN was initially expected to be replaced by a domestic powerplant developed and manufactured in China, the WS-10A (WoShan-10A) Taihang turbofan, giving a thrust of 129 kN (13,200 kgf or 29,101 lbf). However, given the poor quality of the engine and other development difficulties[36][37], the PLAAF is reluctant to integrate the WS-10 onto the aircraft.[38][39]

WS-13 tested first time so it need almost 3 years i think you also cant deny that

And about engine of j10 found out some thing about it on wikipedia

The AL-31FN was initially expected to be replaced by a domestic powerplant developed and manufactured in China, the WS-10A (WoShan-10A) Taihang turbofan, giving a thrust of 129 kN (13,200 kgf or 29,101 lbf). However, given the poor quality of the engine and other development difficulties[36][37], the PLAAF is reluctant to integrate the WS-10 onto the aircraft.[38][39]

The WS-13 will need three years to mature but in the RD-93 will (the recent rumours of a sanction are, as a matter of fact, just rumours) do nicely for the time being.

As for the WS-10A, keep in mind that unlike J-10 and J-10A (which are often used interchangeably) the WS-10A is an improved version of the earlier WS-10. I admit that there are still problems with quality control but the WS-10A has already solved many of the problems on the original prototype (increasing the thrust and enhancing engine life time). Keep in mind that dependence on foreign engines has plagued the PLAAF for the past few decades and therefore is a priority that will be sorted out ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom