CHASHMA 3 GETS ITS DOME

Pakistanisage

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Chashma 3 gets its dome

22 March 2013

The first of two reactors being constructed in the Punjab region of Pakistan by Chinese companies has passed a significant milestone with the emplacement of its dome.

The dome is installed on the containment building of Chashma 3

The operation to fit the dome was completed on 6 March, China's State Nuclear Power Technology Company (SNPTC) reported. Two 340 MWe pressurised water reactors (PWRs) are under construction at the site, which has China Zhongyuan Engineering as the general contractor and China Nuclear Industry No.5 Construction Company as installer. The reactor design was provided by the Shanghai Nuclear Engineering and Research Design Institute.

Chashma 3 and Chashma 4 are expected to begin commercial operation in 2016 and 2017 respectively, although SNPTC said that the unit 3 dome lift was carried out ahead of schedule. The new units will add to the generation already provided by Chashma 1 and 2 - 300 MWe PWRs also supplied by China. Only one other power reactor operates in the country, a 125 MWe pressurised heavy water reactor at Karachi (Kanupp). All units are owned and operated by the state-owned Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission.

Pakistan is not a party to the non-proliferation treaty and therefore is not generally permitted to purchase nuclear technologies and materials. The reactors being built are subject to specific International Atomic Energy Agency safeguard arrangements.

Researched and written
by World Nuclear News

Chashma 3 gets its dome

guys i have a question why don't we have a solar powered or wind farms for electricty i am sure they can provide almost as much electrcity of 125 MW that this reactor will give us......and how much of an earthquake can they withstand?

thermal power & solar power are cheaper then importing heavy water for these reactors to be operated.

guys i have a question why don't we have a solar powered or wind farms for electricty i am sure they can provide almost as much electrcity of 125 MW that this reactor will give us......and how much of an earthquake can they withstand?

thermal power & solar power are cheaper then importing heavy water for these reactors to be operated.

Solar and wind are not as cost effective but there is big push on wind power in Pakistan as we speak with about 300 mw in the pipeline. A 50mw wind farm being set up by fauji foundation is about to go online.

Also Pakistan does not import heavy water or fuel for its nuclear reactors.

Solar and wind are not as cost effective but there is big push on wind power in Pakistan as we speak with about 300 mw in the pipeline. A 50mw wind farm being set up by fauji foundation is about to go online.

I'm sorry but i have to disagree... but my disagreement does not mean i'm against nuclear energy.

First of all, Pakistan have huge huge hydro power, solar power and wind power potential.

At the same time, Pakistan is at risk of flash floods and draught in comming years... therefore available state resources shall be spent only in water conservation and storage.
Clearly priorty of investment direction, is forced upon us by nature! and all violations will be against public and state's interest!

Now comparing solar with any thing else... i have explained many times... savings in cost of transmission infrastructure alone, compensate the independent solar systems... and in developed world govt. pay subsidy to promote it, for very same reason.
I have discussed the comparison, in detail few years ago... after that we have seen huge $2billion donation from clinton foundation for infamous Indian state Gujrat.
India despite.. having having no political hinderence in building hydal power is in favour of solar power... point is surely they are convinced on comparative cost issues.

Solar power require state partnership in terms of subsidies, otherwise it gets unfair.
We clearly see, in Pakistan solar power importers are not given any rebate by govt. despite the fact it helps saving huge state costs.

Investing in nuclear, power makes sense because we need to keep building the knowledge of technology and we see no shortage of raw material, in any case.. distribution of energy shall be improved and it can also save us many megwats, which unfortunately is controlled by politicians.. hence wasting billions of public funds.. for keeping the fake democracy afloat.

Unfortunately, non of political part other than Musharraf have any efficient policy towards energy. e.g. Pakistan's first energy policy 2002.

We need all four sources ( Wind, Solar, Hydro and Nuclear ) for our Energy crises because it is huge. By 2030 we will need 6 to 8 times of electricity as we would produce. Keep in mind some of our Hydro plants like Mangla and Tarbela would have outlived their life span so we will lose those.

Pakistan should explore Solar, Wind, Hydro and definitely Nuclear Power Plants to meet our growing and exploding Energy needs.

The statusquo is deadly because we are losing our Textile base to Bangladesh as some of our Industrialist are setting up shops over there due to frustrations with the lack of Electricity.

20130315171647481.jpg

10:20 AM local time on March 6, Chashma Unit 3 (C-3) dome lifting the successful completion of the engineering construction of the C-3 unit installed peak has laid a solid foundation for civil peak of the steering. This node is three months earlier than originally planned.

site at the C-3 dome lifting ceremony. PNRA President Anwar Habib Pakistani officials participated in the ceremony, the PAEC nuclear Commissioner, Mr. Saeed Alam Siddiqi, C-3/C-4 general manager, Mr. Syed Yusuf Raza; ceremony was attended by Chinese officials Nuclear Group assistant general manager Li Xiaoming Zhongyuan Engineering Company general manager Yang Zhaodong. Shanghai Nuclear Engineering Associate Dean Xiazhi given his party took part in the ceremony.

Perhaps we should focus on the creation of Pakistani designed and manufactured reactors - they don't have to be gigawatt reactors, but sometimes big things can have small beginnings.

I think PAEC is already working on that project. But I think building these plants is much like building aircrafts. We can design and build the aircraft but we still have to buy the engine and avionics from elsewhere. Right now, PAEC designs all of our Plants but buys the Reactors from more advanced countries.

BTW, most people are familiar with Chashma 1, 2, 3, and 4 ( 1 and 2 are 300 Magawatts and 3 and 4 are 340 Megawatts capacity ). But China and Pakistan just signed a contract for CHASHMA 5 which is 1000 Megawatt capacity reactor.

Also, the KANUPP 2 and KANUPP 3 are 1000 Megawatt capacity each.

That is 3000 Megawatt capacity being added in which should be operational by 2020.

Solar is a big failure and extremely expensive to maintain..there are cell burn outs due to concentrated heat and then the manpower and clean water requirements to regularly wash them.

Back
Top Bottom