What's new

China to build 2,200 MW N-power facility for Pakistan

So have I! :D

I've been impressed with them since I was a kid.... love those dirty smelly people...... :P

I know... I have seen nuclear reactor in France from outside. France is the capital of nuclear energy... Lol

There is also two 1100 Plants ( total 2200 MW ) Planned to be built near Karachi ( KANUPP II & III ).

Pakistan is prone to Earthquakes, so any coastal Nuclear Installation in a country like Pakistan, where there is no crisis management, is a big No No.

Maybe Punjab and Interior Sindh would be a better option to build Nuclear powerplants.

Dude, all modern plants are designed to withstand anything that nature can throw at them... I mean EVERYTHING...... Fukushima were relatively old plants.....

Pakistan is prone to Earthquakes, so any coastal Nuclear Installation in a country like Pakistan, where there is no crisis management, is a big No No.

Maybe Punjab and Interior Sindh would be a better option to build Nuclear powerplants.

Dude, all modern plants are designed to withstand anything that nature can throw at them... I mean EVERYTHING...... Fukushima were relatively old plants.....

Not really.

You can design the structure to withstand an Earthquake on a 9.0 Richter scale, which the Fukushima did very well. It is what happened when the wave hit.

And that was Japan, where people are used to dealing with Tsunami/Typhoons and Earthquakes.

@Donatello, Huge progress has been made in Reactor Technology in terms of Safety and Nuclear Fuel Efficiency.

The new Third Generation Nuclear Reactors are much safer than the Second Generation Fukoshima Plant. All Future Nuclear Reactors being built in Pakistan will be Third Generation Nuclear Plants.

Here is some more Info:

Advanced Nuclear Power Reactors | Generation III+ Nuclear Reactors

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate, Fukushima was a different case, not a bad design, and nothing to do with the Tsunami. In Fukushima the generators responsible for circulating the primary coolant loop were compromised.... which eventually gave up... resulting in the disaster...... In all PWR reactors you always make sure that never happens...

You by any chance a mechanical or structural engineer, as I can hunt for few schematics.... ?

Not really.

You can design the structure to withstand an Earthquake on a 9.0 Richter scale, which the Fukushima did very well. It is what happened when the wave hit.

And that was Japan, where people are used to dealing with Tsunami/Typhoons and Earthquakes.

Why the fu*k they don't consider an 8000MW hydro power plant whose study was just completed and be serious on Kala BaghbDam by creating a commision who would answer all obkections technically and by shariyah and even afyer that if someone says Kala Bagh hamari lashon per banney ga then put them on kala bagh construction site……
The people will agree if we get media support with logics…:enjoy:
Give ANP two seats in KPK PPP in sindh and allow MQM to take bhata in Karachi and noone would object Kala Bagh……:lol:
And should give subsity on purchase of solar pannels for home use and take an oath from all MNAs not to steal thermal kerosine oil and things would inprove simultaniously……
I am not with Nuclear energy and really hate thermal so 1st ends thermal and give subsity on non conventional ways like wind power & solar power and energy from tides also to commercial and industrial sector and
if even middle class can purchase UPS for Rs/40000 then he too can afford 50-60000 rupees solar cell with neon battery enough atleast for fans & lights of 2 rooms with a TV or Computer.I bleive half of punjab wpuld be generating its own eleectricity but the fact is GOP don't wanna loose their commision and MNAs corruption……∴:coffee:

Mate, Fukushima was a different case, not a bad design, and nothing to do with the Tsunami. In Fukushima the generators responsible for circulating the primary coolant loop were compromised.... which eventually gave up... resulting in the disaster...... In all PWR reactors you always make sure that never happens...

You by any chance a mechanical or structural engineer, as I can hunt for few schematics.... ?

I never said that Fukushima was a bad design. I clearly said that the plant was designed to handle a earthquake of 9.0 Magnitude, considering the earthquake that hit, was 9.0 Magnitude and just 70 Km away.

You are saying it was nothing to do with Tsunami? Did you read the report?

It clearly states that the backup generators were knocked out by the Tsunami water as they were low-lying. The nuclear reactors all performed as designed, they automatically shut down. But to keep their fuel from melting due to decay heat, they needed generators to pump cooling water. The Tsunami knocked out these generators and thus the reactor fuel cooling capacity.

I am an Electrical engineer, and i can search for the schematics myself.

Don't take this in any wrong sense, but what i intended to say in this thread was that Pakistan needs to do a thorough research if a Nuclear plant should be built near the coast, as Pakistan is in an earthquake prone zone.

Yups, I totally agree. The order is:

1. Hydro.
2. Grid upgrade.
3. Reactors.

Furthermore, we should not touch "renewable" energy with a barge pole..... it's all such a huge scam..... the cost benefit ratio is awful for a developing nation, and would bankrupt even nations with multi-trillion dollar GDP's.

wind power is probably acceptable it costs around 13rs for first 4 years vs 6-8 rs in hydro first 8years and 8-10 rs in coal (all rates for private sector)
solar is very expenisve at 18-22rs
however if govt use its own resoources we can get hydro at as little as 1rs

real issue is cost
dams in pakistan would cost much less , will and can be setup in same amount of time and have added benefits..govt should focus on hydro projects of around 1000mw. there is a potential of over 20,000 there iin KPK alone. a total of 60,000mw of "known sites"

Islamabad—China will build a 2,200 MW Nuclear Power facility for Pakistan to help the friendly country in overcoming its acute energy deficit.

Pakistan’s energy crisis was one of the major subjects that came under discussion in Beijing when Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif recently visit China.

The Chinese leadership show full understanding of Pakistan’s most urgent power crisis and spontaneously responded to Islamabad’s desire for Chinese assistance to face the challenge and fulfill the deficit gap within as few years as possible. The two countries came to believe that Pakistan would be able to meet is energy needs through utilizing all possible means of Power Generations including Nuclear. The two countries underlined the fact that nuclear energy is not only cheap but is also clean or environment friendly.

Pakistan Observer understands that the Chinese experts would soon embark on preparing a feasibility report in collaboration with their Pakistani counterparts.

China is already building Nuclear power Plants at CHASHMA in collaboration with Pakistan experts. On March 2013, Pakistan and China agreed to build a 1000 MW CHASNUPP-5 at Chashma Nuclear Power Complex.

Chashma Nuclear Power Plant I, built with Chinese assistance produces 300 MW electricity. The 300 MW Chashma Nuclear Power Plant II, also built by China, was officially inaugurated on May 10, 2011 by former Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani. On April 28, 2009 a general engineering and design contract for CHASNUPP-3 and CHASNUPP-4 was signed with Shanghai Nuclear Engineering Research and Design Institute (SNERDI). The units will both have generation capacity of 340MW each with a design life of 40 years. On March 6 2013 the dome of the third reactor was lifted into place. Construction is planned to be completed in 2016 for No. III, and in 2017 for No. IV.

On March 2013, Pakistan and China agreed to build a 1000 MW CHASNUPP-5 at Chashma Nuclear Power Complex.

China to build 2,200 MW N-power facility for Pakistan
yeh+cheez.jpg

My take is first Pakistan should concentrate on Hydro-power. The dams created for such projects also make sure that water from the rivers don't drain into sea and thereby solving pakistan's water problems.

Two birds in One shot. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom