What's new

Chahbahar inauguration today

Here is couple of my observation with respect to intent of Iran with respect to Chahbar port...Keeping aside, India and Pakistan rivallary for moment, honest discussion about this port is appriciated.

1- When Gwadar port is situated in 100 miles form this port, what is the need and significance of this port? Anyway, Iran and Pakistan are definitely good friend( At least not like India and Pakistan). So why can not Iran use Gwadar port for its transportation and use the same investement for something else to develop in the region...Again, i am purely trying to understand the bigger intent behind all these investment.
2- China is definitely big player in the investment world..India or any other country expect nation like Japan or US can match to the level of investment of China...Why Iran did not seek any active participation of China in a big way in Chahhabar?

3- What is all this fuss about Central Asia..In my opinion Central Asia is just a myth being told around the world since last 30 years...What is the big deal if someone does not get connected with Central Asia??
4- Overall, what is the objective of Iran is from India from this engagement? Out of $1 billion investement, India planned to invest 500 million...I am really suprised to beleive, Iran really need $500 million from other country to develop its port. I think, they are rich enough to spend couple of additional billions of dollar to develop their own port. I was going through the media of Iran with respect to involvement of INDIA in this project. Contrary to the expectation, they presented a very good positive news about India in Iran's electronic media too.

@yavar @Serpentine @Kiarash @Joe Shearer @SOUTHie ...Any positive input is appreciated.

lol why was I tagged here?

So what? Have fun dealing with the Afghans then. lol.

Here is few points to the Chabahar Port In Iran:
  1. The first phase of the Chabahar Port -- located in the southeastern province of Sistan-Balochistan in Iran -- aims to connect with Iran, Afghanistan and Central Asian countries. It can be easily accessed from India's western coast, bypassing Pakistan.

2. Under the trilateral transit and transport agreement during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Tehran in May 2016, the Chabahar port will the gateway to a Transit and Transport Corridor between India, Iran and Afghanistan and allow for multi-modal transport of goods and passengers.
  3. New Delhi has already completed the Zaranj-Delaram road in Afghanistan that connects the Iranian border with all four major Afghan cities
  4. India will also help build a $1.6 billion rail line to Zahedan in Iran, which will eventually connect with Mashad in north and provide access to Turkmenistan as well as northern Afghanistan through the Bafq-Mashad route.
  5. The agreement between India and Iran was signed in May last year. India will develop and operate two berths in the first phase of the port.
@PAKISTANFOREVER @somebozo @Iqbal Ali @Areesh @PakSword @Muhammad Omar @Thorough Pro @AmirPatriot @yavar @Stryker1982 @Madali @SOHEIL @mohsen @Skywalker

Weeks before today's inauguration, a top afghan leader said his country would no longer depends pakistan for transit trade."Afghanistan used to rely only on one transit road, which was through Karachi. That is not the case anymore. (Now) it's (also) through Chabahar," Afghan Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah said.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/cha...dia-to-be-inaugurated-today-10-points-1782913

Is any representative from pakistan? Indian,Japanese and korean flags are present and chinese flag is missing !

Nobody gives a f*ck seriously speaking.

Here is couple of my observation with respect to intent of Iran with respect to Chahbar port...Keeping aside, India and Pakistan rivallary for moment, honest discussion about this port is appriciated.

1- When Gwadar port is situated in 100 miles form this port, what is the need and significance of this port? Anyway, Iran and Pakistan are definitely good friend( At least not like India and Pakistan). So why can not Iran use Gwadar port for its transportation and use the same investement for something else to develop in the region...Again, i am purely trying to understand the bigger intent behind all these investment.
2- China is definitely big player in the investment world..India or any other country expect nation like Japan or US can match to the level of investment of China...Why Iran did not seek any active participation of China in a big way in Chahhabar?

3- What is all this fuss about Central Asia..In my opinion Central Asia is just a myth being told around the world since last 30 years...What is the big deal if someone does not get connected with Central Asia??
4- Overall, what is the objective of Iran is from India from this engagement? Out of $1 billion investement, India planned to invest 500 million...I am really suprised to beleive, Iran really need $500 million from other country to develop its port. I think, they are rich enough to spend couple of additional billions of dollar to develop their own port. I was going through the media of Iran with respect to involvement of INDIA in this project. Contrary to the expectation, they presented a very good positive news about India in Iran's electronic media too.

@yavar @Serpentine @Kiarash @Joe Shearer @SOUTHie ...Any positive input is appreciated.
Its diplomatic first and economical second.
First of all, Diplomatic. Now Iran have India as a major stake holder in their country. And any misadventure against Iran will effect Indian Interests directly. And India is not a country to be brushed off that easily. Iran is not a stupid country it maintain links with every country regardless of its relation with other countries. It is a defense partner of Russia, It is a huge trade partner of China and India, Its keeps cordial ties with Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Secondly Strategic. Iran is welcome to use Gawadar but a port in its own territory is of much more strategic importance then port of neibour no matter how friendly terms you are with them

Thirdly Economic. It will help to improve the much underdeveloped South western Parts of Iran. And such huge Infrastructural Development is always welcome.

First of all, Diplomatic. Now Iran have India as a major stake holder in their country. And any misadventure against Iran will effect Indian Interests directly. And India is not a country to be brushed off that easily. Iran is not a stupid country it maintain links with every country regardless of its relation with other countries. It is a defense partner of Russia, It is a huge trade partner of China and India, Its keeps cordial ties with Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Secondly Strategic. Iran is welcome to use Gawadar but a port in its own territory is of much more strategic importance then port of neibour no matter how friendly terms you are with them

Thirdly Economic. It will help to improve the much underdeveloped South western Parts of Iran. And such huge Infrastructural Development is always welcome.

@Kaniska

I think that this post comes pretty close to the most likely explanation. All three points make a lot of sense. With one simple move, Iran has finessed the US.

@Kaniska

I think that this post comes pretty close to the most likely explanation. All three points make a lot of sense. With one simple move, Iran has finessed the US.

Exactly...Thank you for understanding my intent of this post..Most of the time, each of our discussion gets lost in the context of India and Pakistan relation...For example here, i can see, Iran is playing smart diplomatic move by engaging India with its economic ecosystem..In that way, India will be an equal partner to stand with Iran in case of any further economic sanction imposed by the West...

Overall, i am very happy with the way things are moving ahead in positive direction..The best part of this inaguration is positive media coverage of India in Iran media, which is sometimes very rare...If you see in Indian media, Iran is treated and presented very positively inspite of Israel is a close friend of us...But i did not see the same in Iranian electronic media avaialble on internet..But for Chahbahar, their media covered us very well....

All this comes to business. We can't say which port is better or will be used more effectively.

Now, I don't know why you said there is no need for such a port. Not just us, also for Iran. As of now Bandhar abbas port is crowded, this port is also important for the sistan and Balochistan provinces in Iran.
As for India, we cannot use Gwadar port anytime soon, and when you see the future of our relation with Pakistan, normalization is not in another decade.

Of course they are big investors. That doesn't mean every country in the region look for investment China or only China should invest in ports. China is already active player in Iran. The Chabahar port project was not a recent proposition, it has been under red tape for a while. Iran is not Pakistan, although they might be dry of investment, also have a negative growth, they don't need to submit to Chinese demand, they can negotiate. While China likes to invest in countries they are sure to have considerable influence (Venezuelan for example).
Iran is not one of them.
Indian trade with central Asia is considerably low. We are mostly dependent on sea routes. Increasing investment in Central Asia is also one of the aim.

Chabahar port is connected with INSTC which is our overland route to Russia and European countries, which boost trade in the region.
It's not about being rich. Your first point itself is the reason, while Iran can reallocate that fund for some other project, they can develop a port with Indian investments.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

also have a negative growth

Incorrect, we have 6.5% positive growth.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom