What's new

Can We Really Consider Urdu as a National Language of Pakistan?

Haryanvi Jat

Reaction score
Country
India
So, today I was reading the opinions of Pakistanis in another thread and I was surprised to know that only 8% of the Pakistani population speaks Urdu as their mother tongue. As we all know that Urdu is the national language of Pakistan. And there are many other languages that are spoken by higher percentage of people as their mother tongue. So why was Urdu even made the national language of Pakistan even when there were many alternatives left? Even the origin of Urdu is in India, the arch rival of Pakistan. For comparison, Hindi have a much larger percentage of people speaking it as mother tongue in India but still it is not the National language of the nation. Infact, in India, there is no national Language and have only official languages.

Note : It is my first thread in PDF. So pardon me if there were any grammatical mistakes or the way of writing was a bit awkward.

Last edited:
Sure, it was the language of the Muslim court

Rather then force one of the provincial languages on everyone it was good to have a official language rooted in muslim history in the subcontinent for the state meant for its muslims

Sure, it was the language of the Muslim court

Rather then force one of the provincial languages on everyone it was good to have a official language rooted in muslim history in the subcontinent for the state meant for its muslims

The court language was Persian.

OP is an idiot. Just because Urdu is not mother tongue, does not mean most Pakistanis don't speak it. Pakistanis all have our ethno-regional languages, but when we want to communicate with someone from another area or ethnicity we use Urdu as a median language to communicate. This thread is stupid as Urdu is a language that is older than Hindi which bhaiyas in India speak. :lol:

Its also a pointless topic

70 years its been the national language, everyone speaks it and its set now

So, Today I was reading the Opinions of Pakistanis in another Threat and I was surprised to Know that only 8% of the Pakistani Population Speaks Urdu as their mother tongue. As we all Know that Urdu is the National Language of Pakistan. And there are many Other Languages that are spoken by higher percentage of people as their mother tongue. So why was Urdu even Made the National Language of Pakistan even when there were Many alternatives left? Even the origin of Urdu is in India, the arch rival of Pakistan. For Comparison, Hindi have a much larger percentage of people speaking it as mother tongue in India but still it is not the National Language of the Nation. Infact, in India, there is no national Language and have only Official Languages.

Note : It is my First Thread in PDF. So Pardon in If there were any Grammatical Mistakes or the Way of Writing Was a Bit Awkward.

Thread, not threat, though sometimes the language reaches alarmingly loud levels.

Do not capitalise your words unnecessarily: thus :- So why was Urdu even made the national language of Pakistan even when there were many alternatives left?

Welcome to the forum and have fun; always be civil, never insult another member, never be racist or use personal abuse, never use terms derogatory to a country. remember that readers will judge all Indians by whatever mistakes you make.

National Language of Pakistan is Pashto....As it is the Pashtuns who conquered the other people of Pakistan during Durrani Empire and made it a country

Thread, not threat, though sometimes the language reaches alarmingly loud levels.

Do not capitalise your words unnecessarily: thus :- So why was Urdu even made the national language of Pakistan even when there were many alternatives left?

Welcome to the forum and have fun; always be civil, never insult another member, never be racist or use personal abuse, never use terms derogatory to a country. remember that readers will judge all Indians by whatever mistakes you make.
Thanks for the advise. And pardon for my mistakes.

Urdu/Persian it was all a mix

The official language, the language of all imperial documents, not just the court language, was Persian. Urdu was literally the language of the camp; not a language for the refined purlieus of the court. Persian ceased to be the official language only in 1832.

Thanks for the advise. And pardon for my mistakes.

Don't be silly, that was meant to help and encourage. What are you apologising for??????

So, Today I was reading the Opinions of Pakistanis in another Threat and I was surprised to Know that only 8% of the Pakistani Population Speaks Urdu as their mother tongue. As we all Know that Urdu is the National Language of Pakistan. And there are many Other Languages that are spoken by higher percentage of people as their mother tongue. So why was Urdu even Made the National Language of Pakistan even when there were Many alternatives left? Even the origin of Urdu is in India, the arch rival of Pakistan. For Comparison, Hindi have a much larger percentage of people speaking it as mother tongue in India but still it is not the National Language of the Nation. Infact, in India, there is no national Language and have only Official Languages.

Note : It is my First Thread in PDF. So Pardon in If there were any Grammatical Mistakes or the Way of Writing Was a Bit Awkward.

By the same virtue India has Hindi as a mother language.

Back
Top Bottom