What's new

Can Indonesia Lead ASEAN?

There's no leader in EU or NATO either just country that are perceived to be their leader. The US doesn't own NATO, but we cannot deny its influence in the Alliance. So does Germany/France, but the rest of the EU sees them as a "leader." Not in the Official way, but in public perception & Indonesia is already look upon as such.

Your definition of leader is probably one dude on the top directing order to his subordinate. While I see leader as the one who take responsibility & taking care of other mistake. Indonesia has done that and more.

Indonesia has no economic or political clout to be look upon like Germany or France. Germany has the economic clout, France a nuclear power. Within ASEAN, Singapore is the closest to a Germany.

My definition of leader goes by yours.

Uhhh...... You do realize we're the biggest economic power in the region right? & political clout are you kidding me I just post an article in here that's contrary to yours . Please give me an example I'm lost here. Ask any schmuck in the region most will says that Indonesia is already seen as the leader.

Since when having Nucular is somehow a plus in foreign relation. France is respected for being the cultural faces of Europe & strong economy only behind Germany.

That's kinda actually saying that Sri Lanka should be the leader of South Asia because of their higher HDI & PPP compared to India. There's actually a flaw in your theory, Indonesia never claim to be a superpower. We are & is a Regional power ask anyone with a degree of political science they'll back me up.

Indonesia already done a good job "leading" ASEAN. So why not continue to do so?
can you show me with concrete examples how Indonesia "leads" ASEAN? Pls stop saying you are a "natural" leader. There is no such thing in the world.

Here is a view on the role Vietnam plays in the ASEAN bloc:
Vietnam’s role in ASEAN | East Asia Forum

Last edited:
Uhhh...... You do realize we're the biggest economic power in the region right? & political clout are you kidding me I just post an article in here that's contrary to yours . Please give me an example I'm lost here. Ask any schmuck in the region most will says that Indonesia is already seen as the leader.

Since when having Nucular is somehow a plus in foreign relation. France is respected for being the cultural faces of Europe & strong economy only behind Germany.
How big is Indonesia economy now after the collapse of your currency?
Lastest figure shows the Rupiad is declining further to US$1 for Rupiad 11,833.2.

Rupiah Passes Rupee as Asia’s Worst Currency: Chart of the Day - Bloomberg
i3.YolWVGBiM.jpg

By taking care of your country shit for once...
you should come up more with facts and figures instead of nonsense and insult.

Last edited:
Don't you think we have a backup plan after the 1998 Crisis. Here's the much more recent news.

Indonesia's trade balance swung back to a small surplus and inflation held steady, data showed on Monday, in tentative signs of improvement in Southeast Asia's biggest economy after recent turmoil.
workers-load-cement-bags.jpg

Workers load cement bags onto a ship at Jakarta's port of Sunda Kelapa, Indonesia. (AFP/Bay Ismoyo)

JAKARTA: Indonesia's trade balance swung back to a small surplus and inflation held steady, data showed on Monday, in tentative signs of improvement in Southeast Asia's biggest economy after recent turmoil.

The country was one of the hardest-hit emerging markets over summer as foreign investors withdrew funds from the equities market and the rupiah on fears the United States was set to wind down its stimulus programme.

Its own domestic woes, in particular a large current account deficit, added to the problems.

But indicators have mostly been improving of late after the government and central bank moved to shore up the economy and the US Federal Reserve has left its stimulus intact.

On Monday, data showed the trade balance swung to a surplus of US$42.4 million in October from a US$657.2 million deficit in September due to improved export growth and reduced imports, mainly of fuel following a huge hike in prices in June.

Economists had expected a sizeable deficit.

The figures showed that "the overall trade position was much better than could have been expected", said economist Robert Prior-Wandesforde from Credit Suisse.

Inflation edged up to 8.37 per cent from 8.32 per cent in November year-on-year but was below economists' expectations of 8.50 per cent, the data showed, giving the central bank a little room.

Indonesia has enjoyed a prolonged boom in recent years, clocking up annual growth of more than six per cent but analysts predict the economy will grow at its slowest pace in four years in 2013.

- AFP/gn

Indonesian data show economy stabilising after turmoil - Channel NewsAsia
I don't want to hear about economic fiscal from the 6th rank.

you should come up more with facts and figures instead of nonsense and insult.

This Is just a light jab when I insult someone you would be the first to know it. :azn:

So you deny that we don't take care of your shit after you brought your problem to the ASEAN table?

Last edited:
Don't you think we have a backup plan after the 1998 Crisis. Here's the much more recent news.

I don't want to hear about economic fiscal from the 6th rank.?
This Is just a light jab when I insult someone you would be the first to know it. :azn:
Try harder. You are the one who started with economy and GDP figures. Don´t you want to continue talking on Indonesia after PISA and currency collapse?
So you deny that we don't take care of your shit after you brought your problem to the ASEAN table?
Indonesia just plays a minor in the South China Sea high stakes poker game. Same goes to East China Sea tension.

The episode you mentioned is just one of the hundreds events that occured. The region is on the verge of a arms confrontation, but Indonesia remains surprisingly passive. I guess you are afraid to annoy anyone, especially the Chinese.

Try harder. You are the one who started with economy and GDP figures. Don´t you want to continue talking on Indonesia after PISA and currency collapse?

Indonesia just plays a minor in the South China Sea high stakes poker game. Same goes to East China Sea tension.

The episode you mentioned is just one of the hundreds events that occured. The region is on the verge of a arms confrontation, but Indonesia remains surprisingly passive. I guess you are afraid to annoy anyone, especially the Chinese.

Check the comments & be surprised that it wasn't me who starts it.

You think this is a game? If we use an analogy we're the marriage counselor trying to mediate between your country, ASEAN & China.

On the verge of what? You might not notice, but the China is now preoccupied with ECS rather than the SCS. ASEAN & China will not go to war for the moment & you can thank us for calming the situation. Of course we're afraid of China & you should to. Especially when the country invest 500 Billions into our region! Do you know how much money both side will lost if a shooting wars happen?

Poverty is an issue because of rampant corruption within the government. If corruption in the government was less, less people would live in streets.

Anyway, are there any slums in Ho Chi Minh City? There is slums in Jakarta as well. Poverty is a big issue, even within ASEAN.

I thought you guys had better positive view of the West than China because of those Anti-Chinese riots in the 60's or 70's.

That different time. Right now, Indonesian Born Chinese has been regarded as one of the groups of Indonesia called "Tionghoa"
although there are still people envious of the Indonesian Born Chinese, but their just Minority and Retarded:hitwall:
Not as much as 60's or 70's.

but, Many of Indonesian have Negative View to Western Country, Especially USA and Australia.
because they assume USA and Aussie has beackstabbed Indonesia in Timor Leste Case. and also in Spying Case yesterday :yahoo:
Indonesian Protester 8.jpg

Indonesian Protester 9.jpg

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Check the comments & be surprised that it wasn't me who starts it.

You think this is a game? If we use an analogy we're the marriage counselor trying to mediate between your country, ASEAN & China.

On the verge of what? You might not notice, but the China is now preoccupied with ECS rather than the SCS. ASEAN & China will not go to war for the moment & you can thank us for calming the situation. Of course we're afraid of China & you should to. Especially when the country invest 500 Billions into our region! Do you know how much money both side will lost if a shooting wars happen?

Sometimes I feel I have no point arguing with overseas Vietnamese, they will always talk big about their country when overall look says otherwise. Many of my vietnamese friends that grew up and came from Vietnam say things exactly in different tone than the overseas ones.

Let them brag about that, just say "yes yes, happy?", and their happiness will be errected to the moon.

That different time. Right now, Indonesian Born Chinese has been regarded as one of the groups of Indonesia called "Tionghoa"
although there are still people envious of the Indonesian Born Chinese, but their just Minority and Retarded:hitwall:
Not as much as 60's or 70's.

but, Many of Indonesian have Negative View to Western Country, Especially USA and Australia.
because they assume USA and Aussie has beackstabbed Indonesia in Timor Leste Case. and also in Spying Case yesterday :yahoo:

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

put that in your thread, ga ada hubungannya mas sama apa yang situ bahas

Sometimes I feel I have no point arguing with overseas Vietnamese, they will always talk big about their country when overall look says otherwise. Many of my vietnamese friends that grew up and came from Vietnam say things exactly in different tone than the overseas ones.

Let them brag about that, just say "yes yes, happy?", and their happiness will be errected to the moon.

People who need their country in order to be proud of themselves is obviously insecure about themselves.

Yes, Thailand is an exception. Historically, Chinese played a major role in Siam struggle against Myanmar. The Chinese general who defeated the Burmese troops was made the King of Siam.
Most of the Thai Prime Ministers were Chinese or half chinese.

In Indonesia, it was said that chinese control 95% of the economy, even they are just 5% of the population. Not sure about now though.
The king has chinese descent. and most of the PMs and opposition leaders are the same

Indonesia is the right choice but Thailand has the potential as long as we have peace here

Uh-oh, I remember we never give you any sh*t. Are you got it and without tell it to us !?

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom