What's new

Can India lead Asia?

What do you mean so what? as an author, you want the most up to date information. If the author wants his or her work to be credible, then he or she must provide the most accurate information. I am not arguing with anyone here. I just want to point out the information is not accurate.

I can see what you mean but still that doesn't change the idea behind the article. Yes, India is quite far behind China right now but you also have to remember in June 2001 Chinese reserves were only 183.9 billion. They accumulated rest of it in the last decade, there's no reason why India can't do it especially when India is expected to add 120 million people to workforce this decade. Imagine the possibility that by 2018 India will have over 800 million workforce with a $3000 per capita. If they save at the same rate as China ie., 50% of their annual income. That's 1.2 trillion dollars a year. At that rate all it takes is three years to accumulate all reserves China has now. Also all of this is just from savings. I hope I don't need to tell you about all other sources. So Forex reserves could be a major disadvantage for India presently but in the long run we'll beat the heck out of China. Just watch out after 2020. Everyone is going to be talking about India.

New horizons for foreign direct ... - Google Books

Above is the source for Chinese foreign reserves in 2001. Although lot of Chinese on this forum thinks that they are some superhuman and India cannot match them. But facts wouldn't support them. In my opinion they actually favor India in the long run. We'll just have to wait and see.

I can see what you mean but still that doesn't change the idea behind the article. Yes, India is quite far behind China right now but you also have to remember in June 2001 Chinese reserves were only 183.9 billion. They accumulated rest of it in the last decade, there's no reason why India can't do it especially when India is expected to add 120 million people to workforce this decade. Imagine the possibility that by 2018 India will have over 800 million workforce with a $3000 per capita. If they save at the same rate as China ie., 50% of their annual income. That's 1.2 trillion dollars a year. At that rate all it takes is three years to accumulate all reserves China has now. Also all of this is just from savings. I hope I don't need to tell you about all other sources. So Forex reserves could be a major disadvantage for India presently but in the long run we'll beat the heck out of China. Just watch out after 2020. Everyone is going to be talking about India.

Above is the source for Chinese foreign reserves in 2001. Although lot of Chinese on this forum thinks that they are some superhuman and India cannot match them. But facts wouldn't support them. In my opinion they actually favor India in the long run. We'll just have to wait and see.
Yes,Chinese are knowing facts about India more well than ever.Ganga in my view before is dirty but now I know it is not polluted seriously by industry.Inida may be developed in a way without severe damage of your most beautiful environments.

In the world of superpowers at present, India is kinda like the underdog. They have many problems of their own.

So in a word - No.

there are so many reasons that India cannot day-dream those achievement, especially with additional burden of 120 million, most them below poverty.

back to the topic, if we respect the reasoning of the article, Pakistan is also a leader of Asia, especially in South and Central Asia.

As long as China continues to grow, India will not be able to lead Asia and I don't think it has to. The general aspiration of India is to become a developed country and pulling as many people out of poverty as possible and still maintain its identity. The one thing that makes a country a leader in any region is its economy. India needs to fix its problems corruption, poverty, Maoist issues etc and aim for a double digit growth for the next two decades and then we can think about leading a region.

India is already leading Asia!

In number of air force crashes!

Nay, it is leading the world!

India already leading Asia
In no. of air force crashes

India leading Asia is a far cry, though the US and other western countries would love to have India as leader of Asia (or a sizable influential power) it will stay what it is, a far cry.. for the sole reason that India does not enjoy friendly relation with any of its neighbour (Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Burma, Bhutan, China).. So no matter how much the western countries want.. India can never be a leading force in Asia..

Indeed! India is nowhere near leading Asia. In fact Vajpeyi once said that 'Indian is not interested in becoming super power as long as it is France of Asia.'

But I'd like to disagree with you on not having friendly relations with its neighbours. :disagree:

Nepal and Bhutan - Indian allies
Bangladesh, Burma and Sri Lanka - Freindly countries
China - Neither too friendly country nor an adversary. Competitor - yes.

So technically it's just Pakistan we have problems with. :)

Back
Top Bottom