What's new

Cambodia & Laos Defence Forum

You are thinking from the perspective of price, but can a JF-17 block 1survive against an F-16 or grippen? No, it wont. But an 11 million Spyder firing unit will surely shoot them down.

I agree with you that they should invest in main SAMs around Phnom Penh, Battambang, and other key regional areas. But they should definitely mothball their Mig-21s as those are sitting ducks in any conflict. I see Cambodian Air Force fielding 1-2 squadrons of JF-17s or Chengdu J-10s.

The Cambodian Air Force needs to replace and upgrade its aging fleet of Mig-21s. I believe they can avail of Pakistan Air Force's JF-17 Thunder:

View attachment 159092

View attachment 159093

The cost of 1 craft is around $15 million. This is affordable, practical, and a highly capable aircraft. Cambodia should look into this.

Here are a few sexier pics:

gg.jpg
jh.jpg
sasda.jpg
paf3_zps21412db0.jpg
oi.jpg
JF-17-09_zpsac042ded.jpg

I think that the JF-17 Thunder Block 2s can definitely take on the F-16 Block A/Cs that are in the Thai Air Force.

The Thai F-16's are getting upgraded to block 52.

The JF-17 block 2 is much more expensive than block 1.

Cambodia and Laos are too poor for advance jets, maintaining them is expensive and you need to have qualified people.

SAM's are cheaper and easier. Think about it.

You are thinking from the perspective of price, but can a JF-17 block 1survive against an F-16 or grippen? No, it wont. But an 11 million Spyder firing unit will surely shoot them down.

JF-17 Blk I is as capable as a F-16 Blk 40.. and as capable (and better in some terms) than Gripen (no not NG).

I agree with you that they should invest in main SAMs around Phnom Penh, Battambang, and other key regional areas. But they should definitely mothball their Mig-21s as those are sitting ducks in any conflict. I see Cambodian Air Force fielding 1-2 squadrons of JF-17s or Chengdu J-10s.

J-10 ? They can't handle advance jets. We are talking Cambodia, not practical.

Anyway, just my take.

I think that the JF-17 Thunder Block 2s can definitely take on the F-16 Block A/Cs that are in the Thai Air Force.

It really depends on what air to air missiles they use, that makes the whole difference in most cases.

JF-17 Blk I is as capable as a F-16 Blk 40.. and as capable (and better in some terms) than Gripen (no not NG).

Jas Gripen are good, however, they lack in combat radius, and service ceiling as compared to the Block 1s of the JF-17.

Note, this is just JF-17 Block 1s, this is not even Block 2s that are now in production:

KLaNd[1].png

KLaNd.png

here is an old (and obsolete) data gathered by @Manticore .. alot of things have improved.. including payload,radar,engine modification (even with blk i)etc etc.

Don't forget that we are talking a 600 million defense budget, you can't keep up much of an air force with that.

It really depends on what air to air missiles they use, that makes the whole difference in most cases.

JF weapons include:

SD-10,H-4 (120-30 km stand of missile -Pak origin),H-2 (60-80 Km - Pak),MAR-1 (anti radiation missile-Brazilian),Raad ALCM (Pak),C series anti ship missiles,Tabir PGM (Pak),MOFA bunker buster (Pak),CM-400AKG,C703,Hijara guided Cluster bomb (Pak),GB-7 munitions dispencer (China) etc etc etc..

Jas Gripen are good, however, they lack in combat radius, and service ceiling as compared to the Block 1s of the JF-17.

Note, this is just JF-17 Block 1s, this is not even Block 2s that are now in production:

View attachment 159112

Gripen is well proven, has been around for a long time, JF-17 is very new, I'll take the Gripen any day.

Gripen is well proven, has been around for a long time, JF-17 is very new, I'll take the Gripen any day.

In combat? we have been using it to bomb talibitches ...

P.S: apart from chinese Pod .. we also have our own pod JV with an unknown european firm..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom