What's new

Cambodia & Laos Defence Forum

The Cambodians could definitely avail of Pakistan's excess Mil Mi-17 transport helicopters, I believe Pakistan Army has over 94 of these and many are in reserve. These are excellent transportation platforms and would suit Cambodia's terrain.

View attachment 159077

View attachment 159078

Mi-17 and Mi-8, those are supper reliable, can take a beating and are easy to maintain. Many countries have them. That's what USA is buying for Afghanistan.

The Cambodians could definitely avail of Pakistan's excess Mil Mi-17 transport helicopters, I believe Pakistan Army has over 94 of these and many are in reserve. These are excellent transportation platforms and would suit Cambodia's terrain.

View attachment 159077

View attachment 159078

I wish we had the economic muscle to start a heli project... cox thats what we really lack..

@Carlosa ,

Cambodia is still a developing country, in my honest opinion, they don't need to acquire the most advanced helicopters, arguably unnecessarily expensive given their defense budget. Cambodia needs well-proven, time-tested, reliable transportation platforms. In time, when Cambodia progresses, they can make qualitative improvements on a incremental basis that is proportional to their national budget. However, right now, practicality seems imperative.

Mi-17 and Mi-8, those are supper reliable, can take a beating and are easy to maintain. Many countries have them. That's what USA is buying for Afghanistan.

I agree with you. Afterall, superior military technology doesn't always equate to victory. Training of soldiers, deployment capability can win wars. If the Soviet-Afghan War, Vietnam War, Algerian Independence War serves as point of reflection.

I wish we had the economic muscle to start a heli project... cox thats what we really lack..

Definitely agree with you bro. And i'm glad to see that Pakistan is slowly developing and nurturing her own defense industry.

@Carlosa ,

Cambodia is still a developing country, in my honest opinion, they don't need to acquire the most advanced helicopters, arguably unnecessarily expensive given their defense budget. Cambodia needs well-proven, time-tested, reliable transportation platforms. In time, when Cambodia progresses, they can make qualitative improvements on a incremental basis that is proportional to their national budget. However, right now, practicality seems imperative.

Absolutely true, why they bought those expensive chinese helicopters? Only a bribe can explain it.

I agree with you. Afterall, superior military technology doesn't always equate to victory. Training of soldiers, deployment capability can win wars. If the Soviet-Afghan War, Vietnam War, Algerian Independence War serves as point of reflection.

Definitely agree with you bro. And i'm glad to see that Pakistan is slowly developing and nurturing her own defense industry.

Very true!

@Carlosa ,

Their defense budget is around $600 million, they can only afford very cheap and not even much of anything.

Well said.

For Cambodia's situation, it would be best to consider smaller, yet nimble copters such as the French Eurocopter EC635

View attachment 159039

how about fennecs?
DIGIT-03199.jpg

Absolutely true, why they bought those expensive chinese helicopters? Only a bribe can explain it.

Yes, I agree that it was not the best decision for them to purchase such helicopters. It was only 4 months after the 'handing ceremony' that the first crash occurred. Since 12 copters cost a combined whopping $195 million, each copter is "worth" around $16 million.

That's too much. $16 million could have gone a long way to purchasing 4-5 maritime patrol boats or riverine craft, or APCs for the Cambodian Army. Or could have been used to build schools, and other much-needed infrastructure in Cambodia.

Ha bro! Nice, legendary Japanese courtesy.

あなたそんなに弟Nihonjinありがとうございます.

Not sure if that is correct. :smitten:

he he he ! Wow! Thank you, buddy. :-)

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom