What's new

Bullet trains for India with Indo-China Strategic Economic Dialogue

I think this is a great step. But on bullet trains I would rather go with Japan or France not because China lacks any technology. Most of Chinese trains are also copies of german and Japnese ones.

India should also get into manufacturing these trains in India. China will never let that happen.

We are looking for High speed rails since some time, May be Europe, Japan or china which will be used as Service provider. The route selected are

Agra -- Delhi
Ahmedabad -- Mumbai
Gujrat - delhi

Why Agra -- Delhi?? They already got Taj expressway and travel time has reduced significantly.

There are other routes which requires such trains.

This will not work in india. To build a nation wide high speed railway network and effectively operate it, you need:

1. a strong government that can propose and implement consistent policies over decades. india's political eco system will not allow this to happen. any real development could be easily hijacked by some so called "opposition" for political BS reasons.

2. a hardworking work force. indian workers are too lazy to make this happen. the only solution is to bring Chinese workers to build it as part of the contract. yet again - this willbe hijacked by some political morons backed by strong nationalism.

3. a reliable power grid. high speed rail need electricity, india doesn't have it and there is no plan to actual fix this.

4. a professional team to operate it. this is again impossible, you can figure this out by looking at india's current train networks. why it is so dangerous, dirty, out of date?

of course, I am not saying it is totally impossible, if india can merge into China and become a new province of China, then I am sure all these problems can be solved within 2-3 decades.

You are correct on some points but you miss the key point it is OUR GOVT that has these deficinies not the ppl. Just take a look at the Corporate sector.

Why are all these big ticket projects and developments in North India. How about the South and Northeast? Buying stuff from China is stupid even if it makes economical sense. Until they change their attitudes, then we are stupid for putting ourselves under their leverage. Most of their tech is Japanese/German and they are having problems with their bullet trains as well. First of all they have openly admitted it cannot be 100% error free. We have so many other pressing problems in India....how about we pay attention to the upcoming water crisis? Unbelieveable

India is a poor country lets face it and these high speed rails might not be profitable for years.

Instead of going on high speed rails lets first get the Dedicated freight corridor working both on eastern and western fronts.

^^ Dedicated Freight train would do wonders for India;s development. The folks pushing for High speed trains are corrupt idiots. What can we expect when our politicans are illerate and have have not graduated from grade school? Its just crazy to see where our priorities are? I guess none of these stinking politicos in Parliament got the news that all of North India's rivers are unusable for bathing, drinking or cooking. Wtf? This is a national security issue. Imagine if Kerala is going dry, then how bad is it going to get elsewhere?

^^ Dedicated Freight train would do wonders for India;s development. The folks pushing for High speed trains are corrupt idiots. What can we expect when our politicans are illerate and have have not graduated from grade school? Its just crazy to see where our priorities are? I guess none of these stinking politicos in Parliament got the news that all of North India's rivers are unusable for bathing, drinking or cooking. Wtf? This is a national security issue. Imagine if Kerala is going dry, then how bad is it going to get elsewhere?
Well the thing is bro that we need to read the reports of the planning commission and their detailed analysis of these trains. I will surely find time and read them in detail soon. If they think these trains can turn profitable for India soon(which I don't think so) then sure go ahead and construct it. If not then lets work on the DMIC corridor which is a true game changer.

According to reports Chinese rails spent about 500 bill$ on high speed rails. Debt of CHR has reached almost 10% of Chinese GDP and the company is making looses. India can't afford this. We need to use our resources very carefully.

India is a poor country lets face it and these high speed rails might not be profitable for years.

Instead of going on high speed rails lets first get the Dedicated freight corridor working both on eastern and western fronts.

What are u saying mate?? Isn't this the argument given each time when India makes a generational leap in development?? This was the same argument given before the Delhi Metro came up, people used to site terrible condition in which Kolkata metro was, but now Delhi Metro is only one of the world's two metros that are in Operational profit, as much as 10 lakh people travel by Delhi Metro every day, such is the success of it that by 2020 it is projected to get pass the London Metro in total track covered.

Look it this way, there are people who are willing to spend money, but wants to make the journey as fast as possible by train, if there were no such people than all Indian trains AC classes would have remained empty. They are getting the comfort in AC class currently but are not getting the speed, these high speed trains will fulfill these gap, besides it can be helpful in attracting tourists as well.

As far as Dedicated freight corridor is concerned it is also under construction, we have to work on every development project in parallel & do not have to make every thing dependent on other.

@karan21 India is going for tried and tested technology, We are diversifying the project with Japan,France and China.

Last edited by a moderator:
300 kmph ????????????? wow

Some images I took while traveling on a Train in China from my phone on two different trains.

DLqY2.jpg

GFNK0.jpg

@arp2041
Delhi metro and High speed rails are 2 different things. You can't compare them.
China's CHR has a debt of 400 bill$ and this year it posted a loss of over 3 bill$. If rich China couldn't afford it how do you expect Indians to afford it. HSR is very imp for India but it should be in the Plan after 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are u saying mate?? Isn't this the argument given each time when India makes a generational leap in development?? This was the same argument given before the Delhi Metro came up, people used to site terrible condition in which Kolkata metro was, but now Delhi Metro is only one of the world's two metros that are in Operational profit, as much as 10 lakh people travel by Delhi Metro every day, such is the success of it that by 2020 it is projected to get pass the London Metro in total track covered.

Look it this way, there are people who are willing to spend money, but wants to make the journey as fast as possible by train, if there were no such people than all Indian trains AC classes would have remained empty. They are getting the comfort in AC class currently but are not getting the speed, these high speed trains will fulfill these gap, besides it can be helpful in attracting tourists as well.

As far as Dedicated freight corridor is concerned it is also under construction, we have to work on every development project in parallel & do not have to make every thing dependent on other.

Metro is actually a very good project for any major city. It helps cut down congestion, traffic, pollution, etc. I understand the concern regarding Kolata and it is a good thing to bring up. By doing so, you force Delhi you step it up and do a wonderful job. Bullet trains are great but how about we do something concernin our santitation and sewage? How about desalination plants using profitable tech and cleaning/conserving our water resources? I keep pointing this out coz Tibet under China control most if not all the waters entering INdia. Thats is a huge concern and problem. CIA releases a study every few yrs and it points out water scarcity as the main reason for future conflicts. We our always inactive never proactive. Our ancestors did a better job in managing our resources. Go visits old sites and you will see proper sewage disposals, water tanks, etc.

Bullet trains is great thing to have eventually. Let the tech mature unless we have major plans in becoming a major player in its development and production, I think its in our best interest to wait it out. We are not tackling priorities. Primary and college education is a priority. How about we speed up the development of Akash and announce a subsidy for all kids to educate them? How about we plan this bullet train better from the bottom up? I mean looking at a map of India it would be better to build the tracks as a huge triangle that stretch from Gujurat thru Delhi to Kolata to the South and back. This is just a suggestion but in the long run this would be more profitable and of more use to the ppl of INdia.

I think this is a great step. But on bullet trains I would rather go with Japan or France not because China lacks any technology. Most of Chinese trains are also copies of german and Japnese ones.

India should also get into manufacturing these trains in India. China will never let that happen.

China bullet trains way more advance than japan or german ones

This will not work in india. To build a nation wide high speed railway network and effectively operate it, you need:

1. a strong government that can propose and implement consistent policies over decades. india's political eco system will not allow this to happen. any real development could be easily hijacked by some so called "opposition" for political BS reasons.

2. a hardworking work force. indian workers are too lazy to make this happen. the only solution is to bring Chinese workers to build it as part of the contract. yet again - this willbe hijacked by some political morons backed by strong nationalism.

3. a reliable power grid. high speed rail need electricity, india doesn't have it and there is no plan to actual fix this.

4. a professional team to operate it. this is again impossible, you can figure this out by looking at india's current train networks. why it is so dangerous, dirty, out of date?

of course, I am not saying it is totally impossible, if india can merge into China and become a new province of China, then I am sure all these problems can be solved within 2-3 decades.

Technically speaking, if China merges into India, even then we can bring on the bullet trains into India, right?

guys lets not get into the same old chinese bashing. when the time comes the chinese will be allowed as well to submit their business proposals, it will be up to us to select the one most beneficial to us.

Back
Top Bottom