What's new

Bullet trains for India with Indo-China Strategic Economic Dialogue

This will not work in india. To build a nation wide high speed railway network and effectively operate it, you need:

1. a strong government that can propose and implement consistent policies over decades. india's political eco system will not allow this to happen. any real development could be easily hijacked by some so called "opposition" for political BS reasons.

2. a hardworking work force. indian workers are too lazy to make this happen. the only solution is to bring Chinese workers to build it as part of the contract. yet again - this willbe hijacked by some political morons backed by strong nationalism.

3. a reliable power grid. high speed rail need electricity, india doesn't have it and there is no plan to actual fix this.

4. a professional team to operate it. this is again impossible, you can figure this out by looking at india's current train networks. why it is so dangerous, dirty, out of date?

of course, I am not saying it is totally impossible, if india can merge into China and become a new province of China, then I am sure all these problems can be solved within 2-3 decades.

They will not work in India as the cost would be too high for train-traveling Indians. It is almost as high as the low cost airlines. No doubt, train enthusiats and ppl would take a one-time joy ride in these.

I see no reason why HSR should be implemented in India yet. rather work towards improving the per capita income so that common people can take benefits of such systems and facilities.

Hope the peaceful troll got his 50 cents for that post. Others, please ignore him and move on, he needs to earn his daily pay like all of us.

On topic though, it will be an excellent opportunity to build India-china relations if it actually fructifies. Every rupee we spend in such infrastructure projects will bring back several rupees into the economy through enhanced productivity. This will let more passengers travel quicker between cities, thereby freeing up other older but valuable rail networks for freight transport. Which means lower costs for consumer goods, more efficient transport of perishable agricultural products, less agro produce wasted due to decay, more value for farmers, and so on and so forth. Also, less private vehicles and trucks on roads, therefore less dependence on fossil fuels. I also hear that a dedicated freight corridor is coming up between Mumbai and Delhi, connecting all the industrial towns in between. Transportation is one of the major bottlenecks to our country's growth, apart from electricity.

Why such short distances, though? I was hoping that long distance rail transport, say of the Kanyakumari-Jammu tavi route can be upgraded to high speed networks. I hope China really can deliver the same world class quality at affordable prices, as they claim. They have done remarkably well in their country, so I am hopeful. And let's not forget that tens of thousands or more of our labourers will get decent wages and a better future. That is the right way to eradicate poverty, not some hair brained subsidy or handout that creates no value, and only benefits the lazy.

building special line for bullet train is a big money.electrification transformation of the existing railway is better.our EMUs are running on the old tracks at the speed 200km/h.

It is Already underway-1200 km between Mumbai Delhi

Pc0021000.jpg

Indian Railway locos WAP5 and WAP7 can hit 200 kmph by adding aerodynamic improvements
India is introducing EMUs to replace Shatabdis
India is also looking for introducing 220 kmph EMUs

@gslv mk3................Can we expect Bullet Trains to south..........Say from Delhi to Kochi or Trivandrum

@gslv mk3................Can we expect Bullet Trains to south..........Say from Delhi to Kochi or Trivandrum

I don't know if it is bullet trains, but a high speed rail connecting the entire length of Kerala, connecting Trivandrum and Mangalore is planned. Ideal for Kerala, since geometrically the state is shaped like one long line. Here is the official announcement in PDF format:

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=kerala%20high%20speed%20train&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEsQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.keralacm.gov.in%2Fimages%2Fstories%2Fdocs%2FAll_Party_Meeting-13.2.12_1.pdf&ei=IHrdUMbPNo-zrAe06YGoAQ&usg=AFQjCNG-NJB9iD3YWWKJhPuY66ItHOehUA&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.bmk

Hope that works correctly.

Thiruvananthapuram

High Speed Rail corridor project work to commence in 2014 | NDTV.com

It can come up to Kerala boarder.... not inside...... Here people oppose road widening..... forget about bullet trains in kerala.... It will be difficult to get the land as kerala is densely populated... :) Right gslv mk3?

@janon Yes it is HSR
Home Page

It can come up to Kerala boarder.... not inside...... Here people oppose road widening..... forget about bullet trains in kerala.... It will be difficult to get the land as kerala is densely populated... :) Right gslv mk3?

Exactly...I have seen many wall posters and wall graffitti opposing Kerala HSR @ Thiruvananthapuram...obiviously its the Volvo Bus Lobby:hitwall:

HSRL only requires 20 metre wide land...hope Sugathakumari teacher and VS Achudhanadan realize this!!!

@janon Yes it is HSR
Home Page

Exactly...I have seen many wall posters and wall graffitti opposing Kerala HSR @ Thiruvananthapuram....even before a DPR was submitted......obiviously its the Volvo Bus Lobby:hitwall:

HSRL only requires 20 metre wide land...hope Sugathakumari teacher and VS Achudhanadan realize this!!!

Kerala HSR has stops even at tier 4 cities and it will,for sure adapt Japanese technology and Shinkansen type EMU...

Last edited by a moderator:

Location of International Airport.........Aranmula.............near to my home town......................Still in papers........Hope my Grandchildren one day may board Aeroplane from Aranmula...................

@janon Yes it is HSR
Home Page

Exactly...I have seen many wall posters and wall graffitti opposing Kerala HSR @ Thiruvananthapuram...obiviously its the Volvo Bus Lobby:hitwall:

Kerala HSR has stops even at tier 4 cities and it will,for sure adapt Japanese technology and Shinkansen type EMU...

I dont think it will ever happen......

Off topic : which one do you have in your avtar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Location of International Airport.........Aranmula.............near to my home town......................Still in papers........Hope my Grandchildren one day may board Aeroplane from Aranmula...................

Some people say it will affect the Aranmula Vallamkali...god knows how:lol:
I hope Kerala HSR wont suffer the same fate as smart city

Kochi metro & Dubai metro planning started in the same month.... Dubai metro train is running... and kochi metro... Ummachan is running..

^^Yes...... Ethu vellama

There will be a time when some project will be rejected because it will effect beverage corporation outlet!!!!!

Yes...... Ethu vellama

Sree Ganeshan Chundan...2012 nehru trophy champion.it is not my villages one but still I like it....

There will be a time when some project will be rejected because it will effect beverage corporation outlet!!!!!

Kerala rocks!!!!!

Railways plan seven bullet train corridors

New Delhi, Dec 13 (IANS) India could have as many as seven exclusive corridors for bullet trains, Minister of State for Railways Kotla Surya Prakash Reddy told the Rajya Sabha Thursday.

In a written reply to a question from Goa Rajya Sabha MP Shantaram Naik, Reddy said Spain, China and Austria were assisting Indian railways with technological inputs to get Indian trains into the high speed gear.

The bullet trains are named so for their appearance and speed.

"For introduction of high speed passenger trains in the country, Ministry of Railways has identified seven corridors for carrying out pre-feasibility studies," Reddy said.

The minister further said that pre-feasibility studies had been conducted on three corridors already: Pune-Mumbai-Ahmedabad (650 km), Delhi-Agra-Lucknow-Patna (991 km) and Howrah-Haldia (135 km).

Offering an insight into the funds to be committed for the purpose, the minister said the estimated cost of the first corridor from Pune to Ahmedabad was Rs.55,859 crore.

India_HSR_potential_route.gif

Railways looks to run Delhi-Mumbai trains at 200 kmph

NEW DELHI: Much before bullet trains become a reality, travel time between Delhi and Mumbai is likely to reduce substantially with railways planning to launch semi-high speed trains with a top speed of 200 kmph. A railway official said a study to identify the need to strengthen the infrastructure for this service was nearing completion and work would start soon. The services could start by 2017.

"A study was on for the past one year to identify bridges that needed strengthening, better signaling and easing sharp curves for such service. The upgrade will take about four years from the launch of work. The existing lines can be used for fast moving trains at 200 kmph as freight trains will shift to the dedicated freight corridor (DFC)," said R Ramanathan, Railway Board additional member (civil engineering). He was speaking on the sidelines of a CII summit on urban transport on Thursday.

At present, Rajdhanis, the fastest running trains on this corridor, have a maximum speed of 120 kmph. DFC managing director R K Gupta said the dedicated lines for freight will decongest the existing tracks. He added that this will increase average speed of freight trains from the present 25 kmph to 75 kmph. He said transit time would come down by half (for example Mumbai-Delhi in 24 hours).

"Though the average speed of freight trains on the existing lines hovers around 25 km as we use the same track for passenger trains and the latter get priority over freight trains," Gupta said. He added that carrying capacity on the dedicated corridors would be much more than what is available now.

The first phase of Rewari-Vododara of Western DFC will be commissioned by December 2016 and the entire line - from Dadri (UP) to JN Port (Mumbai) - will be operational by March 2017.

Back
Top Bottom