What's new

Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine in Sri Lanka

Now that is real nasty.

It must be a mazar like the same as Ajmer Sharif?

However, SL Buddhists are of the aggressive variety and deep into SL politics.

They assassinated their own PM, SWRD Bandaranaiake in 1956.

it was an evil act of a Buddhist monk named Talduwe Somarama!

Hi Tiki,
Im confused maybe a little bit ignorant about Buddhist monks. I thought as they were preachers they were supposed to portray an image of tranquility and peace. I dont understand why the anger or distaste towards another beings belief. Do you reckon its an isolated incident?

He said local government officials arrived and said they would remove the shrine within three days, but the crowd said "we cannot wait" and proceeded to tear down the structure.

The demolition has been denounced by a local senior Muslim and a local Sinhalese politician.

'Concerned'

The Muslim, Abdul Razack, denied that a mosque was planned and said the demolished shrine was about 300 years old and had attracted visitors of other faiths too.

So the local Sri Lankan Government had planned to tear down or remove the 300 year old Muslim shrine to begin with, and the Buddhist Monks just happened to tear it down themselves.

Anybody see something wrong with this picture? Or is it just me?...

So the local Sri Lankan Government had planned to tear down or remove the 300 year old Muslim shrine to begin with, and the Buddhist Monks just happened to tear it down themselves.

Anybody see something wrong with this picture? Or is it just me?...

Brother, they did us a favour! Shrines are haram in Islam. There are no shrines in Islam, it becomes idolatry. We should thank them!

Idiot monkeys, how dare they. Oh, wait...

taller_buddha_of_bamiyan_before_and_after_destruction.jpg

You reap what you sow, maybe?

I'm not advocating anyone burning or attacking any religious sites, but there is precedence...
really? every religion has its terrorists? why do you think some monks burned the norwegian flag a few years ago? was that also "revenge"

Brother, they did us a favour! Shrines are haram in Islam. There are no shrines in Islam, it becomes idolatry. We should thank them!

Let me ask you something....

If by a stroke of immeasurable luck, the Islamic community was able to locate the burial place of the Prophet, do you think people will consider it unholy or not pay their respects to the place of burial just because it is "Haram"?

The place may not fall within "Islamic" principles, but it is still meant to honor a saint. It is still disrecpecting the dead....and a holy dead for that matter......
Would you be fine with the desecration of the place of burial of the prophet?

I dont understand how you can say things like "they did us a favor"

A shrine is a shrine because people believe in it....and with acts such as this...someones beliefs are being disrespected....
Why would one then care about your beliefs?

Better to say Political party destroys Muslim shrine, nationalist Buddhist makes as much sense as hot ice, the desire expressed in nationalisim is the antihisis of the noble truths of Buddhisim.

Pakistan and Sri Lanka need to buckle down for some talks. This is unacceptable.

There is nothing like "Abrahamic" is Violent and "Dharmic"(A term newly coined) are peaceful.

There are exception to every rule and this is the exception.

Everything is relative.

Coming to the issue at hand, I condemn these Sinhala Buddhist chauvinists who are nothing but a disgrace to the highest orders of non-violence and the quest for innate spirituality ordained by Lord Buddha.

The wahabi brigade is on the march on this thread!

Idiot monkeys, how dare they. Oh, wait...

taller_buddha_of_bamiyan_before_and_after_destruction.jpg

You reap what you sow, maybe?

I'm not advocating anyone burning or attacking any religious sites, but there is precedence...

Nice- so you got the reason- now bomb these buddhist monkeys to stone ages- oh wait- its not about religion- or is it?-

Dude Buddhists acting violent? :cry: Where is this world going man? Buddhism is the MOST "peaceful" religion in the world (in context of history)...It has never remain controversial or something.. 300 years old Muslim shrine destroyed by Buddhists? Irony,isn't it?

Probably some stupid Buddhist Talibans :P

It is not a Muslim shrine, it is one of ancient Sinhalese king's cemetery located in a Buddhist archaeological site. I have the pic just a min I need to find it.

-------------

Here's the pic, in the back ground you can see an ancient Buddhist stupa.

31.jpg

Why Muslims make there shrine and mosque so near to other religious structure???

1. Mosque near 1000 year old Kashi Vishwanath Temple
Kashi+Vishwanath+Temple+in+Varanasi.gif

2. Mosque near Golden temple
Golden%20Temple%20-%20a%20scenic%20view.JPG

3 Mosque near 1000 year old Mathura temple

IMG_1100.JPG

Like wise there are many such example in Indian subcontinent. I will never make my religious structure near rival religious structure (If I am wise.).

Back
Top Bottom