What's new

BSP MP Insults Vande Mataram in Lok Sabha

Soumitra

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

Amazing! While we all crack jokes about our netas doing time pass in the Parliament (no offence meant, but just look at the number of adjournments, walk outs and low working hours), our politicians focus on small issues that have no direct impact on the betterment of the lives of the aam aadmi or India's development. A day after the highly unproductive budget session of our Parliament ended 2 days before its scheduled day, when the Parliament was adjourned sine die, we hear the news that a BSP MP is being chided for apparently insulting the National Song.

So what happened? Shafiqur Rahman Barq, a BSP member from Sambhal in Uttar Pradesh, was seen walking out of the lower house as Vande Mataram was being played before the house was adjourned sine die. And , as he revealed in an interview to CNN IBN, Barq isn't even sorry for his act and he feels he hasn't done anything wrong.Giving a rather bizarre explanation for his behaviour , the Muslim MP said, "I won't apologise to anyone. I respect the National Anthem, not the national song Vande Mataram. Vande Mataram is an ode to motherland. Muslims like me bend only before Allah, not before any other god."

BSP MP Insults Vande Mataram in Lok Sabha | India | www.indiatimes.com

Amazing! While we all crack jokes about our netas doing time pass in the Parliament (no offence meant, but just look at the number of adjournments, walk outs and low working hours), our politicians focus on small issues that have no direct impact on the betterment of the lives of the aam aadmi or India's development. A day after the highly unproductive budget session of our Parliament ended 2 days before its scheduled day, when the Parliament was adjourned sine die, we hear the news that a BSP MP is being chided for apparently insulting the National Song.

So what happened? Shafiqur Rahman Barq, a BSP member from Sambhal in Uttar Pradesh, was seen walking out of the lower house as Vande Mataram was being played before the house was adjourned sine die. And , as he revealed in an interview to CNN IBN, Barq isn't even sorry for his act and he feels he hasn't done anything wrong.Giving a rather bizarre explanation for his behaviour , the Muslim MP said, "I won't apologise to anyone. I respect the National Anthem, not the national song Vande Mataram. Vande Mataram is an ode to motherland. Muslims like me bend only before Allah, not before any other god."

BSP MP Insults Vande Mataram in Lok Sabha | India | www.indiatimes.com

I'm sure this sycophant would have bowed before Mayawati hundreds of time.

BSP MP who walked out of Vande Mataram sees no reason to apologise

When Speaker Meira Kumar lost her temper over an MP walking out of Parliament during the playing of the national song Vande Mataram, everyone wondered who it was. Now BSP MP Shafiq-ur-Rehman Burq has admitted he was the guilty MP, but says he sees no reason to apologise or explain why he showed disrespect to the song.

“I will not write any letter. Why should I write?” Burq told CNN-IBN when asked if he would write a letter to the Speaker explaining why he walked out while the song was playing.

And no, the legislator also sees nothing wrong with what he did.

“Of course I did the right thing. I have not acted against the constitution. The status of the national song under the constitution is not the same as that accorded to the national anthem. I completely respect the national anthem. I honour the national anthem,” Burq said.

Shafiqur Rehman has said he sees nothing wrong with what he did. Image from CNN-IBN
And despite the fact that it is the norm to play the national song when the Parliament is adjourned sine die, like it was done yesterday, the BSP member of Parliament countered that the sentiments of Muslim MPs needed to be taken into consideration as well.

“India is a democracy, there is secularism here. Under secularism when there are 30 crore Muslims living in the country you have to be considerate towards their emotions as well,” Burq said.

“I request that Muslims not be compelled to sing this song since it is against the Sharia.. the song tells people to bow before Bharat Mata,” he said.

Strangely enough, despite the opposition by some Muslim leaders to some of the words of the song, no other MP chose to express their opposition to the song in a similar manner.

However, Burq is no stranger to strange behaviour in Parliament when the occasion has demanded it. In the past, specifically December 2012, Burq waved a black flag in Parliament to protest against the Babri Masjid demolition.

Burq had earlier switched parties from the Samajwadi Party to the Bahujan Samaj Party to oppose the party’s alliance with former chief minister Kalyan Singh‘s party. He also initially had a problem with the fact that the BSP’s slogan was ‘Jai Bhim’ but was placated once told that it wasn’t binding on all party members.

BSP MP who walked out of Vande Mataram sees no reason to apologise - Firstpost

"Vande Mataram" was the national cry for freedom [from British rule] during the freedom movement. Why have this now when we have a National Anthem?

Tagore's Jana Gana Mana was chosen as the National Anthem in 1947. Vande Mataram was rejected on the grounds that Muslims, Christians, Parsis, Sikhs, Arya Samajis and others who opposed idol worship felt offended by its depiction of the nation as "Mother Durga".

So why insist on having a national song as well as a national anthem? And how many of our corrupt stinking politicians follow the spirit of Vande Mataram? I bet they don't even know the verses but show their hypocrisy by standing to attention in the Parliament while it is being sung. And then it's business as usual of wheeling and dealing.

Firm action should be taken for insulting national song: BJP

New Delhi: Deploring the act of a BSP MP walking out of Lok Sabha while the national song was being played, BJP on Wednesday said the Speaker should act “firmly” on the issue.

“Members have no right to insult the national song especially when they have taken oath. The Speaker has taken the right move by naming the MP. He has insulted Parliament,” party leader Shahnawaz Hussain told reporters outside Parliament.

Supporting Speaker Meira Kumar for taking the name of BSP MP Shafiqur Rahman Barq, he said, “The Speaker should be more strict on this and act firmly.”

Barq, BSP member from Sambhal in Uttar Pradesh, was seen walking out of the House as Vande Mataram was being played with all members standing in attendance.

Taking exception to the incident, Kumar said, “One honourable member walked out when Vande Mataram was being played. I take very serious view of this. I would want to know why this was done. This should never be done again.”

http://www.firstpost.com/politics/f...n-for-insulting-national-song-bjp-763775.html

Vande Mataram was the preferred song of Bangali freedom fighters during the British era. The concept of Vande Mataram song is that one acknowledges the country as their Ishth/Deity. This is why many people see singing of this song as going against their religious beliefs. One is not pro or anti India based on whether or not they choose not to sing this song and neither should they be forced to sing this song to prove themselves. You can be a patriotic loyal Indian and not believe in your country as your deity of worship. But that MP should not have walked out. I don't know why he did that.

If it is his religion not to bow he should not be forced but he should have shown some respect.
The disturbing thing about Vande Mataram is, it is part of a novel Anand Math which is quite offensive to muslims.
If you guys have time, please read it. It describes british as saviour from the cluches of barbaric muslims.

I find it weird that it was chosen for freedom struggle.

Back
Top Bottom