What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Nirbhay, Long-Range Subsonic Cruise Missile Successfully Test-Fired

Nirbhay is termed as subsonic cruise missiles. It is being currently developed for multiple uses. Just like BrahMos. The main missile test facility is in Chandipur. Hence the tests over sea. It is being deployed for as of date attack on land. Or anti-ship which would mean changes in terminal guidance.

Now, I ask you again, show me one test of either r'aad or babur over sea under 20 mts.
Sorry to. Burst your bubble but nirbhay flies over sea because currently it's taking her baby steps and just the autopilot and stability algorithm and ability to follow way points while taking GPS or satellite guidance are being tested.
More complex systems such as INS,TERCOM,DSMAC which are essential for flight on complicated land terrain are non existent on Nirbhay as of now or not the primary test subject
And no Nirbhay is not being developed as Anti ship missile.

Last edited:
Actually tomahawk is yesteryear's technology, and we are struggling with it (2 failiure out of 3). US has developed much more deadly agm 129 & agm 86 for their airforces. Now I am start believing pak's claim of brahmos is actually a Russian missile with Indian paint job.

The above is an example when people spew Bull for the sake of bull.

All things considered. The BGM-109 tomahawk is going to outlive the AGM-86 and is deadlier then ever. But as is clear, the man above is only here to suck his own thing just to feel happy about what India did vs Pakistan. Not because India did make a good achievement, but because it did so against Pakistan. Such people are either 15 years old, or their self esteem is around the same age.
Which is why such people need to be kept out of such threads lest they bring in more of their kind.

On the topic.
The article needs to correct Turbo-prop to Turbo Jet. In addition, there is no mention of the Su-30 chase plane that was to follow.

Sorry to. Burst your bubble but nirbhay flies over sea because currently it's taking her baby steps and just the autopilot and stability algorithm and ability to follow way points while taking GPS or satellite guidance are being tested.

Read the context of the reply. He asked why over sea. I said thats the test range.

First show us the sea in the pic? if it was launched from land, flew over land and fell down on land, where does the sea come in?

You do realise, the test range is over sea and there was a problem in navigation right? You also do realise this test was conducted for checking the change in trajectory from a higher altitude to 20 mts? You also do realise, that a navigation error can lead to a crash post deviation? Of course, you knew all this already.

Sawal e Gundum, Jawab e Joe

Read the context of the reply. He asked why over sea. I said thats the test range.

You do realise, the test range is over sea and there was a problem in navigation right? You also do realise this test was conducted for checking the change in trajectory from a higher altitude to 20 mts? You also do realise, that a navigation error can lead to a crash post deviation? Of course, you knew all this already.

Ministry of Defence
16-October, 2015 19:34 IST

Flight of Nirbhay Missile Aborted after 700 Seconds of Launch Nirbhay Long Range Subsonic tactical cruise Missile was launched from Integrated Test Range. Chandipur at 11:38 hrs today.

All initial critical operations such as Booster ignition, Booster separation. Wing deployment and engine start were successfully executed and Nirbhay reached the desired Cruise Altitude.

During 700 seconds of flight all the subsystems of Nirbhay cruise Missile functioned satisfactorily and met all the desired functions.

The mission was aborted after 700 seconds of flight.

It is precisely this kind of language that holds India back!:lol::lol:

Why would I show you babur or Raád flying over sea when they are specifically developed for Land attack roles, not for sea based operations ? Is major airforce bases of IAF located near sea that we need sea based Babur in land attack mode ?

This is where the major fault lies. Instead of focusing on perfecting Land attack mode, you are spreading and dividing your resources on what, Land and sea simultaneously

My reply was to your below comment , "Babur and Ra'ad are perfectly executing low diving maneuvers at the height of 10 meters."

The only reason, why these missiles are not YET in sea based ops is because it would be under development. You do not develop a cruise missile and not try to use it in lower level flight and then expand the capability.

On topic : This was not a test of terminal guidance, hence, coming to a conclusion that it was for land attack or anti ship is too early. Neither is this the final test for navigation. The current test was specifically for one thing, moving the missile from a higher altitude to a lower altitude. This is what was being tested. And maintaining it for a sustained flight. The only thing that can be made out from this test is that they were trying to test a low approach maneuver and that they have spoken about this being used in conjunction with BrahMos.

Whether the problem was in navigation of the missile, which led to deviation or whether there was a problem with the material used can be known only post they release the data. That is, if they release the data. Coming to the problem of failures, if this has to become a sub-launched sea skimming missile there are going to be a lot more of them before it is operationalised.

And no Nirbhay is not being developed as Anti ship missile.

And your source is?

Last edited:
It is precisely this kind of language that holds India back!:lol::lol:

They just have to redefine Failure:

World: Failure=Failure
India: Failure=Partial Success

Let them. :cheesy:

Why do you propose that Babur & Ra'ad are not cleared for flight paths over water? What "technological" limitation is there, in your opinion?

Not flight paths over water. I specifically asked for 10 mts above sea level flight path. Over land and water low level cruise are completely 2 different things. The differences will arise in navigation, guidance, material structure and a new thing I learned yesterday, fuel.

And again, I did not say its not possible, only asked for proof if it can. And no, this capability cannot be developed without tests. So its a 'secret' is not going to cut it.

@surya kiran

Why do you propose that Babur & Ra'ad are not cleared for flight paths over water? What "technological" limitation is there, in your opinion?
I believe scene matching would be difficult but both missile equipped with GPS / inertial navigation system so there is no problem at all.

Since your own DRDO is so forthcoming about everything but keeping mum over the origin of engine of Nirbhay despite a home grown engine might suggest strongly Nirbhay is not using home made engine atm

Its a Russian engine for now. Saturn TRDD-50MT most probably. Something like this, most probably http://www.npo-saturn.ru/?sat=69

but both missile equipped with GPS / inertial navigation system so there is no problem at all.

Not just that. Wave heights keep changing. So if there is a bigger wave in front, it needs to be able to maneuver. Check gambits reply on another thread. He has explained it beautifully.

Its a Russian engine for now. Saturn TRDD-50MT most probably.

Not just that. Wave heights keep changing. So if there is a bigger wave in front, it needs to be able to maneuver. Check gambits reply on another thread. He has explained it beautifully.
Babur and Ra'ad quite easily can maneuver over water go to youtube and check the videos. Nirbhay tries to do this nose dived and never appears again.

@surya kiran
See the below video how Raad flying tree top level and diving

Back
Top Bottom