What's new

Breaking News, IAF Jaguar crashes

It's not the case of should, it's a stigma that is attached.

Well, no such stigma gets attached in the IAF then. Sometimes though, when pilots bail out at awkward angles, they sustain lasting, debilitating spinal injuries. Only in such cases are they removed from combat flight ops. Even then, if they're sufficiently fit, they're reassigned to transport fleets. A case that readily comes to mind is that of Flt Lt Nachiketa.

It's not the case of should, it's a stigma that is attached.
I'm sorry sir, now you are changing your tune. Now you are talking about "stigma" but even this I would dispute. In the IAF the pilots are all professional aviators and when there is a mechanical failure they know there is just nothing you could do in that situation, why should a stigma be attached?

Human error leading to a crash is another matter- for that a pilot can kick their flying status goodbye.

Well, no such stigma gets attached in the IAF then. Sometimes though, when pilots bail out at awkward angles, they sustain lasting, debilitating spinal injuries. Only in such cases are they removed from combat flight ops. Even then, if they're sufficiently fit, they're reassigned to transport fleets. A case that readily comes to mind is that of Flt Lt Nachiketa.

Nachiketa had propaganda value, pilot downed in Kargil, still operates an aircraft. Posterboy for the KArgil conflict.

I'm sorry sir, now you are changing your tune. Now you are talking about "stigma" but even this I would dispute. In the IAF the pilots are all professional aviators and when there is a mechanical failure they know there is just nothing you could do in that situation, why should a stigma be attached?

Human error leading to a crash is another matter- for that a pilot can kick their flying status goodbye.

I aint changing, you're not interpreting it right. Pilots whose crafts crash are relegated to ground ops even if they are fit to fly. Happens in all major AF.

Nachiketa had propaganda value, pilot downed in Kargil, still operates an aircraft. Posterboy for the KArgil conflict.

But as per your assessment, shouldn't he have carried the stigma of being only one of two combat pilots to go down during Kargil, and that too to enemy fire?

I aint changing, you're not interpreting it right. Pilots whose crafts crash are relegated to ground ops even if they are fit to fly. Happens in all major AF.
Well I dispute this entirely. IF the crash is deemed to not be the pilot's fault it is utter nonsense to remove them from flight ops and this WOULD lead to the pilot taking the IAF to an armed forces employment tribunal and likely winning.

But as per your assessment, shouldn't he have carried the stigma of being only one of two combat pilots to go down during Kargil, and that too to enemy fire?

Has more propaganda value rather than pushing papers. Enemy fire, Kargil, nations eyes fixed on him.

Well I dispute this entirely. IF the crash is deemed to not be the pilot's fault it is utter nonsense to remove them from flight ops and this WOULD lead to the pilot taking the IAF to an armed forces employment tribunal and likely winning.

A pilot if in fit mental and health condition is not guaranteed flight ops. This is understood. Add in a crashed plane, well you got a dead career.

You can dispute, I am not forcing you to believe it. I believe some pilots have gone to tribunal with no success?

Has more propaganda value rather than pushing papers. Enemy fire, Kargil, nations eyes fixed on him.

What propaganda could the IAF possibly achieve by him flying transport aircraft subsequently?

The IAF understands perfectly well that mechanical failures/bird hits/enemy action are part and parcel of such flight ops. It would be foolish to punish a dedicated and highly trained pilot for something that was not under his control.

In any case, I and @Abingdonboy have done our best to let you know how the IAF looks at such cases. Beyond this, it's up to you to believe/corroborate it and update yourself.

What propaganda could the IAF possibly achieve by him flying transport aircraft subsequently?

The IAF understands perfectly well that mechanical failures/bird hits/enemy action are part and parcel of such flight ops. It would be foolish to punish a dedicated and highly trained pilot for something that was not under his control.

In any case, I and @Abingdonboy have done our best to let you know how the IAF looks at such cases. Beyond this, it's up to you to believe/corroborate it and update yourself.

IAF may not, Civil Govt sure does. Downed pilots is back on his feet flying planes. This is propaganda/psychological plus point.

Well then lets agree to disagree.

IAF may not, Civil Govt sure does. Downed pilots is back on his feet flying planes. This is propaganda/psychological plus point.

Well then lets agree to disagree.

Another example, and one wholly unconnected with Kargil.

Vayu Sena Medal for pilot of crashed Sukhoi-30 MKI - Indian Express

Do you think IAF would demote the pilot from combat ops after conferring him with a Vayu Sena medal? As I said before, IAF knows what factors are in the pilots hands and what aren't.

@Informant, The IAF operates on different category of standards and morals.
Here's one such example, IAF pilot , Sqn Ldr Brij Pal Singh Sikand, who surrendered his Gnat to PAF in the opening days of 1965 war, after his release as a POW, actually rose to the rank of an Air Marshal in the IAF.

Indians always are so insecure and lack of common senses, Pakistan was in better shape in 2003 before India started on space mission cooperation with Foreign countries, right?

If so, please sit down and drink chocolate milk.

Are you serious PK was ahead of us in Space in 2003 & Suddenly we started cooperation with Foreign Countries
Here is what we had in 1990s
PSLV-on-its-way-to-launchpad-VAB.jpg

What did you had in 1990s,even now you don't have a SLV

Pakistan flying with used garbage or Chinese tin can. As stated by most Indians.

Has much lesser failure. These pilots need to have better training or better parts for their jets.

Something is wrong. And Yeh good that pilot is safe.

Back
Top Bottom