What's new

Bose: The extremist who refuses to die

By being a building block and precursor to larger movements that came much later. I am not an expert on Gandhi but his defiance on the salt plains of Dandi surely got people to rally with him. Not to forget the amount of global attention that his methods brought, thus increasing the pressure and scrutiny on the British.

The answer is given in the original post by our esteemed think-tank. India apparently became difficult to control for British. Now it could not have been become difficult to control by itself! It had been made difficult to control by those pointless salt marches, revolutionaries putting themselves to gallows for their ideology and many other factors.

It's difficult to fathom it in today's materialistic world, but then again, India's independence struggle was one of a kind.

By being a building block and precursor to larger movements that came much later. I am not an expert on Gandhi but his defiance on the salt plains of Dandi surely got people to rally with him. Not to forget the amount of global attention that his methods brought, thus increasing the pressure and scrutiny on the British.

Is there any evidence that Bose was inspired by Gandhi? They seemed the opposite.

Belated happy Birthday to Neta ji. As they say there is darkness beneath the lamp.The darkness beneath the lamp lighted by netaji ie Sarmila Bose,Sugata Bose.

Those two apples fall far off the tree,i doubt they are even connectd to the tree in any manner expect for few genes.

So it achieved ordinary people being beaten up and jailed, and some Congress leaders jailed.

But the Salt Laws still remained. How is that not pointless?

not everything is result oriented. the fact remains, it iginited the whole nation. i would recommend some reading before passing of judgements like u have been doing.

u cant see anything beyond pakistan thats ur problem.

Oh that was mere tongue firmly in cheek, I'd be the last one to write off Ayesha Jalal. I was mere curious, any specific reason to call him darkness below the lamp?

Is there any evidence that Bose was inspired by Gandhi? They seemed the opposite.

Not Bose. I meant other peaceful movements that followed. Bose's ideology diverged from Gandhi's after a few years in the INC.

I can't see much appeal in Gandhi's ideas amongst the tribals in the Frontier. I'm not sure Gandhi did any invigoration. There was a continual independence movement in the subcontinent. The rise in rioting and discontent, and militants like Bose. If Gandhi had his way, he would have told the rioters to stop. So he was a sure way to maintain peace in the subcontinent.
From what I heard, Bacha Khan's movement was heavily influenced by Gandhi's ideals. So in a indirect way Gandhi could was responsible for the Khudai Khidmatgars.

And of course, Gandhi did stick by his ideals and halted protests when they turned violent. Read about the Chauri-Chaura incident, where a mob burnt down a police-station and its occupants. The civil-disobedience movement was at its prime at that time but Gandhi stopped it.

I think there were two independence movements. Both were unrelated. One of them was pointless, the other was more relevant to independence.

There were parallel movements of course, both with the same objectives but different means. But to call it 'pointless' will be a terrible affront to the millions who chose to follow one.

My Grand fathers brother Served INA as a officer after completing his inter.

Tum Mujae Khoon do mai tumhe Azadi doognga

I too dont believe the Theory of Netajis death. GOI should make the Truth Public

May be it's the parochial Bengali in me talking, but wasn't the rebellion of British India armed force and navy in pretext of INA's trial which accelerated the independence of India? British would have happily put up with Satyagraha for another decade; no disrespect to Mahatma.

Abir - Ofcourse you are bang on target, again Nehruvian history, as we have been taught is different from the reality.

The Naval Mutiny of 1946 in Bombay has been the last straw to break on the camel's back, otherwise Quit India and Non Co-operation could have well continued for another 100 years.....

The key to the British Imperialism in India was the articulation of Imperialism through the millions of Indian men in the British Indian Army. Once that foundation was disturbed, they ran for their lives.

I can't see much appeal in Gandhi's ideas amongst the tribals in the Frontier. I'm not sure Gandhi did any invigoration.

khanabdulgaffarkhaan3.jpg

I'm sure u are aware this man standing next to Gandhi.

He followers a run political party who is the sole spokesperson for the pashtuns of NWFP and elsewhere in Pakistan, it called ANP.

u cant see anything beyond pakistan thats ur problem.

Are nahin ji, unka matlab yeh hai, ki Sarmila Bose has been the first Indian journo to have interviewed your fallen hero, the great Victoria Cross winner, Gen. Amir Abdullah Khan Niazi, the famous betel-nut thief.....

Bacha Khan did have a following. But there was continual revolting towards British rule amongst the tribals. So I don't think his ideology of non-violence was popular amongst the tribals.

On the point of Gandhi igniting the nation because he got lots of his followers beaten up. It still sounds pointless.

You could try to overrun a building. And then get beaten up. At least there would be an objective and more attention.

I'm not sure it made any difference standing still and getting beaten up, or resisting and getting beaten up/jailed.

Would you agree that it could have been Nationalism that inspired the Freedom Movement, and not Gandhi, Nalwa?

Would you agree that it could have been Nationalism that inspired the Freedom Movement, and not Gandhi, Nalwa?

Ofcourse it was, while the ahimsa movement and all that non cooperation movement brought the struggle to everybody's home steps, even Atlee would have said if the case was otherwise that look u seem to be on the peaceful movement for this long, let us recoup a bit from this economic problems as yours country is the crown jewel for us which can give us more riches.

However as many posters above said repeated harping of people (though minor incidents if seen on the whole Indian contenxt but could set precedents) on path of violence and also the military hardened army returning from the world war which could act as the enemy if needed etc was what made people in Britain say enough is enough so good bye. This is my POV.

Back
Top Bottom