What's new

Bose: The extremist who refuses to die

Subcontinent independence arose because the subcontinent was getting more difficult to control (not worth hanging onto). Bose was a symptom of that tummy rumble.

Of course Gandhi's salt marches were nice, and very pointless.

No chauvinism ,just for sake of GK, Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose was born in Cuttack,Odisha.He did his schooling at the Collegiate School of Cuttack which was near my house when lived in Cuttack during my childhood days.

Subcontinent independence arose because the subcontinent was getting more difficult to control (not worth hanging onto). Bose was a symptom of that tummy rumble.

Seems it was getting difficult to control because of large scale guerrilla warfare of Muslim league against the British.

that was one factor but to a lesser degree. there was pressure on british to free india because of its contrubution in world war 2. quit india movement had really given head aches to british.

while u r entitled to u r opinion, i beg to disagree. the salt marches were the genesis of swadeshi movement. the very fact that salt was taxed was undigestable to indians. so the movement led by ghandi ji started and hundreds of kgs of salt was prepared as an act of defiance against britishers.

we owe our freedom to all those freedom fighters who inculcated the feeling of swadeshi in our minds at that time.

We have a famous classical singer in Odisha called Prafulla Kar and very credible man ,he once wrote an article in an Odia newspaper that during his childhood day they had gone Delhi for college excursion to Delhi and met our our then PM Nehru along with some other student from various parts of India.But according him Chacha Nehru was pretty grumpy on that day and kept shouting for no reason apparent to him.Then some years later in the future ,Mr Kar read a book on Netaji Bose that stated it was same very day he met Nehru, India had got some secret information regarding Netaji Bose being sighted in Siberia ,Russia.

that was one factor but to a lesser degree. there was pressure on british to free india because of its contrubution in world war 2. quit india movement had really given head aches to british.

while u r entitled to u r opinion, i beg to disagree. the salt marches were the genesis of swadeshi movement. the very fact that salt was taxed was undigestable to indians. so the movement led by ghandi ji started and hundreds of kgs of salt was prepared as an act of defiance against britishers.

we owe our freedom to all those freedom fighters who inculcated the feeling of swadeshi in our minds at that time.

Salt wasn't allowed to be sold or something. So everyone in Gandhi's movement was told to get some salt and sell it. It just seems to be something that a student would do. Not really a freedom fighter of any salt.

Marches? As in plural? Pointless? Don't seem to know much history, do you? The Dandi march got Gandhi what he wanted. A program to enthuse the people. Got a lot of international attention too. The British ended up jailing pretty much all the Congress leaders. Hardly something they would do if it were pointless.

There is no doubt WW2 gave us freedom we were badly fighting for.If it wasn't WW2 havoc we would be in struggle for at least few decades more.

So it achieved ordinary people being beaten up and jailed, and some Congress leaders jailed.

But the Salt Laws still remained. How is that not pointless?

Salt wasn't allowed to be sold or something. So everyone in Gandhi's movement was told to get some salt and sell it. It just seems to be something that a student would do. Not really a freedom fighter of any salt.

Well we Punjabis aren't too fond of Gandhi either. He wouldn't be winning any favorite freedom fighter poll amongst us. Something about his non-violent methods that felt alien to us. :)

But I respect the man for his convictions, his belief in his ideals and his ability to generate mass support for the freedom movement. Untill Gandhi arrived, the freedom struggle was restricted to few journals and the Mumbai intelligentsia. It was Gandhi that invigorated the poor, from the landless farmers of Champaran to the tribals in the NWFP. To have that kind of appeal across regions, languages and ethnicities is unparalleled.

Belated happy Birthday to Neta ji. As they say there is darkness beneath the lamp.The darkness beneath the lamp lighted by netaji ie Sarmila Bose,Sugata Bose.

So it achieved ordinary people being beaten up and jailed, and some Congress leaders jailed.

But the Salt Laws still remained. How is that not pointless?

By being a building block and precursor to larger movements that came much later. I am not an expert on Gandhi but his defiance on the salt plains of Dandi surely got people to rally with him. Not to forget the amount of global attention that his methods brought, thus increasing the pressure and scrutiny on the British.

Well we Punjabis aren't too fond of Gandhi either. He wouldn't be winning any favorite freedom fighter poll amongst us. Something about his non-violent methods that felt alien to us. :)

But I respect the man for his convictions, his belief in his ideals and his ability to generate mass support for the freedom movement. Untill Gandhi arrived, the freedom struggle was restricted to few journals and the Mumbai intelligentsia. It was Gandhi that invigorated the poor, from the landless farmers of Champaran to the tribals in the NWFP. To have that kind of appeal across regions, languages and ethnicities is unparalleled.

I can't see much appeal in Gandhi's ideas amongst the tribals in the Frontier. I'm not sure Gandhi did any invigoration. There was a continual independence movement in the subcontinent. The rise in rioting and discontent, and militants like Bose. If Gandhi had his way, he would have told the rioters to stop. So he was a sure way to maintain peace in the subcontinent.

I think there were two independence movements. Both were unrelated. One of them was pointless, the other was more relevant to independence.

Back
Top Bottom