What's new

Bollywood, please stop demonising Muslims

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unjustified to show only a one-dimensional stereotyped image of Muslims in the media. well here is interesting article

Imagining Indian Muslims: Lookingthrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinema

This article critically argues that Hindi cinema originating from Mumbai, popularly known as Bollywood cinema, has more often than not misrepresented the Indian Muslims in terms of characters and protagonists. Hindi films have wrongfully portrayed the Muslims either as non- modern feudal characters or as anti-national, terrorist, villain, or anti-social characters, among others, with their own mythical constructions. Moreover, the problem of an increasingly ‘missing Muslim’ can be found in an era of liberalization and globalization where we find very few films with Muslim protagonists despite the fact that a large number of Muslims perform both on and off-screen. Although there have been limited attempts by some film-makers to uphold secular principles and champion the message of communal harmony, only a handful of films have actually tried to show the everyday livelihood issues and the problems of poverty, deprivation,exclusion, unemployment and illiteracy of Indian Muslims as noted by several empirical studies.Therefore, this article, while engaging with a number of films and by making a brief survey of the contemporary film history of India, tries to grasp the nature of stereotypical notions and image constructions of Bollywood cinema in relation to Indian Muslims

Full Article : Imagining Indian Muslims: Looking Through the Lens of Bollywood Cinema (Maidul Islam) - Academia.edu

It is unjustified to show only a one-dimensional stereotyped image of Muslims in the media. well here is interesting article

Imagining Indian Muslims: Lookingthrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinemathrough the Lens of Bollywood Cinema

This article critically argues that Hindi cinema originating from Mumbai, popularly known as Bollywood cinema, has more often than not misrepresented the Indian Muslims in terms of characters and protagonists. Hindi films have wrongfully portrayed the Muslims either as non- modern feudal characters or as anti-national, terrorist, villain, or anti-social characters, among others, with their own mythical constructions. Moreover, the problem of an increasingly ‘missing Muslim’ can be found in an era of liberalization and globalization where we find very few films with Muslim protagonists despite the fact that a large number of Muslims perform both on and off-screen. Although there have been limited attempts by some film-makers to uphold secular principles and champion the message of communal harmony, only a handful of films have actually tried to show the everyday livelihood issues and the problems of poverty, deprivation,exclusion, unemployment and illiteracy of Indian Muslims as noted by several empirical studies.Therefore, this article, while engaging with a number of films and by making a brief survey of the contemporary film history of India, tries to grasp the nature of stereotypical notions and image constructions of Bollywood cinema in relation to Indian Muslims

Full Article : Imagining Indian Muslims: Looking Through the Lens of Bollywood Cinema (Maidul Islam) - Academia.edu

Bollywood is an industry, they ll make movies that sell. Who wants to see social malaise of Muslims or even Hindus for that matter, in movies? For that people can watch documentaries.

Bollywood is an industry, they ll make movies that sell. Who wants to see social malaise of Muslims or even Hindus for that matter, in movies? For that people can watch documentaries.

So bollywood industry cater the emotion of Indian viewers who prefers such stereo type movies/characters. If they show what sells then they should start making **** because it also sell and peoples would like to watch it. oh well sunny leone got entry in jism 2

Whom so ever has written this article has again selective viewing. I am a avid movie watcher and critic as well so surely can tell you that claiming all Bollywood is against Islam is stating like all Muslim are terrorists.

Ok Now I take you back during 50-70 where a lots of pure Urdu Movies were build and just to quote few famous one is Mere Mehboob, Ghazal, Pakeezah etc. They were beautiful movies, loved and watched by everyone.

Then came an era where angry young men and parallel Cinema came up and there were plenty of Movies made where either the Muslim background used or their issues are discussed. Just to cite few example there were Bazaar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Sholay, Ajooba, Alibaba aur Chalees Chor, Khuda Gawah, Coolie etc. Did we found any issues there? No.. never.

Even sensitive movies based on Kashmir issue like Roja or Riots based Bombay never portrayed any one on wrong way. Black Friday was a journalism based book and talked about the execution of 93 Mumbai Bomb Blast and blamed Dawood and others but one religion, never.

In 90s' there were few movies which were anti-Pakistanis as there were no normalcy and then Kargil but again that did not say anything about Muslims.

Then in year 2000 onwards 9/11 bought a new term i.e. Islamic terrorism and hence then many movies were around them but not blaming anyone. They portrayed anger in to the community but shown positive aspect of it. There are plenty of such movies be it Aamir where hero dies fighting dignity of his religion and saving people or Fanaa where an Indian "Muslim" girl kills a terrorist or "A Wednesday", where unknown religious guy kills 4 terrorists. Why there is objection for the same?

Be it London Bombing, Be it 26/11, Be it 7/7, Be it 9/11 Al-qaeda, Kashmir Terrorism has only one religion and there are consequently that religion is suffering due to few idiots. Movies are made around the same, Only issue is people want to see first part that we are oppressed and getting exploited.

Whom so ever has written this article has again selective viewing. I am a avid movie watcher and critic as well so surely can tell you that claiming all Bollywood is against Islam is stating like all Muslim are terrorists.

Ok Now I take you back during 50-70 where a lots of pure Urdu Movies were build and just to quote few famous one is Mere Mehboob, Ghazal, Pakeezah etc. They were beautiful movies, loved and watched by everyone.

Then came an era where angry young men and parallel Cinema came up and there were plenty of Movies made where either the Muslim background used or their issues are discussed. Just to cite few example there were Bazaar, Amar Akbar Anthony, Sholay, Ajooba, Alibaba aur Chalees Chor, Khuda Gawah, Coolie etc. Did we found any issues there? No.. never.

Even sensitive movies based on Kashmir issue like Roja or Riots based Bombay never portrayed any one on wrong way. Black Friday was a journalism based book and talked about the execution of 93 Mumbai Bomb Blast and blamed Dawood and others but one religion, never.

In 90s' there were few movies which were anti-Pakistanis as there were no normalcy and then Kargil but again that did not say anything about Muslims.

Then in year 2000 onwards 9/11 bought a new term i.e. Islamic terrorism and hence then many movies were around them but not blaming anyone. They portrayed anger in to the community but shown positive aspect of it. There are plenty of such movies be it Aamir where hero dies fighting dignity of his religion and saving people or Fanaa where an Indian "Muslim" girl kills a terrorist or "A Wednesday", where unknown religious guy kills 4 terrorists. Why there is objection for the same?

Be it London Bombing, Be it 26/11, Be it 7/7, Be it 9/11 Al-qaeda, Kashmir Terrorism has only one religion and there are consequently that religion is suffering due to few idiots. Movies are made around the same, Only issue is people want to see first part that we are oppressed and getting exploited.

PS : An industry which is ruled by Khans now a days and a lot of Muslims are working then expecting them to portray their religion in bad light is Impossible.

Indians are haters. Plain and simple.

So bollywood industry cater the emotion of Indian viewers who prefers such stereo type movies/characters. If they show what sells then they should start making **** because it also sell and peoples would like to watch it. oh well sunny leone got entry in jism 2

I was talking about the highlighted part (bollywood not making movie about illiteracy and poverty or whatever), and not stereotyping. I don't think Bollywood stereotypes Muslims at all, stereotyping Pakistanis is not the same as stereotyping Muslims.

They ll indeed show whatever sells in the mainstream market, Bollywood industry and **** Industry are different though. Am sure **** industry too makes whatever people want to see. Keyword is industry, its all about making money at the end of the day.

I am a avid movie watcher and critic as well so surely can tell you that claiming all Bollywood is against Islam is stating like all Muslim are terrorists.

Dude i never said all Bollywood is against Islam. We are not talking about Islam but stereotypes image of Muslims in most action movies where Muslims are being portrayed Don/villian who kill peoples after or before prayers after wearing salwar kameez or white topi(one exmaple is movie Ghulam e mustafa). Most of the times they also show these Muslim villain dancing and watching item songs after getting drunk lol. Its common perception you get after watching many action/war or terrorism related bollywood movies.

Its not just about Muslims. If you watch different movies then you would have notice that they stereotype sikh as some dumb jolly guy who laugh for no reasons and get start doing balley balley everywhere :D

Dude i never said all Bollywood is against Islam. We are not talking about Islam but stereotypes image of Muslims in most action movies where Muslims are being portrayed Don/villian who kill peoples after or before prayers after wearing salwar kameez or white topi(one exmaple is movie Ghulam e mustafa). Most of the times they also show these Muslim villain dancing and watching item songs after getting drunk lol. Its common perception you get after watching many action/war or terrorism related bollywood movies.

Its not just about Muslims. If you watch different movies then you would have notice that they stereotype sikh as some dumb jolly guy who laugh for no reasons and get start doing balley balley everywhere :D

Bollywood stereotypes everybody ..... South Indians, NE Indians, Buddhists...hell they stereotype the hero & heroine..... Anyone taking this with anything but a truckload of salt needs to have their heads examined.

Yeah sure,

Remember this guy, he beat the crap out of Pakistanis with a water handpump:rofl:

sunny-deol-026.jpg

sunny_deol_border_20070521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dude...or dudette whatever, bollywood is none of your business, if its anti-Muslim, let the Muslims in India take care of that. Seriously stop whining about anything that is Indian all the time, we'll take care of it.

You can though complain its anti-Pakistan....well then its not very wrong about terrorists coming from Pakistan is it, whats there to whine about facts?

Yeah sure,

Remember this guy, he beat the crap out of Pakistanis with a water handpump:rofl:

sunny-deol-026.jpg

:rofl:

Abe MC thanks button kaha gaya yaha se!!!!

:rofl:

just read and laugh boys, just read and laugh

I have been doing this since years, and trust me its the most entertaining forum on internet!

Yeah sure,

yea yea everything is possible in movies..we see veer roybot marry muslim zara but they will never show the opposite in movies. Hindu hero will always be a good shareef naik guy who is so patriotic and nationlist that he alone is enough to kill all army of enemy :P

we see many such heroes on PDF as well :lol:

Dude...or dudette whatever, bollywood is none of your business,

well why your country mate started this bolly discussion on pdf if its none of our business to share our opinions :)

I bet you guys have no other topic to discuss on PDF beside veena and bollywood :P

yea yea everything is possible in movies..we see veer roybot marry muslim zara but they will never show the opposite in movies. Hindu will always be a good shareef naik guy who is so patriotic and nationlist that he alone is enough to kill all army of enemy :P

we see many such heroes on PDF as well:lol:

Hindu?, Sunny Deol's character was a Sikh.

I don't watch many Bollywood movies, still from the top of my head can think of couple of movies where a Muslim guy marries a Hindu girl.

As I said, its all in your head. Their is no anti Muslim bias in Bollywood, anti Pakistan bias yes that there is. But every movie industry needs an enemy. Hollywood had the soviets, bollywood has you guys :enjoy: It doesn't mean anything, only dumbasses shape their opinion based on what they see in movies. Pakistanis or anyone else shouldn't really worry about the dumb ***** and their opinions.

Hindu?, Sunny Deol's character was a Sikh.

I don't watch many Bollywood movies, still from the top of my head can think of couple of movies where a Muslim guy marries a Hindu girl.

As I said, its all in your head. Their is no anti Muslim bias in Bollywood, anti Pakistan bias yes that there is. But every movie industry needs an enemy. Hollywood had the soviets, bollywood has you guys :enjoy: It doesn't mean anything, only dumbasses shape their opinion based on what they see in movies. Pakistanis or anyone else shouldn't really worry about the dumb ***** and their opinions.

I don't care and never took it seriously but at least we should admit it what we see on big sacreen :)

on serious note movies can have impact on immature minds and can shape your opinions if you see same propaganda thing over and over again

Yeah sure,

sunny-deol-026.jpg

Or like the Pakistani soldier who defeated 77 Indians with his bare hands... :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom