What's new

Bollywood films are popular in China

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
If you think that the Bollywood movies, with their potential for transporting the audience into a dream world of fantasy, would not be welcome in the Communist China, you could be wrong.

It is just not Buddhism that ties the Chinese society with India but also the new breed of Bollywood movies that are playing a role in synthesising the cultural bonds between the two Asian giants and economic powers.

"Bollywood films are very popular in China. They can compete with the Hollywood hits. '3 Idiots' particularly became very popular in our country," said Chinese Ambassador Zhang Yan who interacted with an audience assembled at the opening of the first 'India-China Centre' here this week.

Asked to describe the cultural bonds that unite the two neighbours, who have had the ups and downs in their relationship, the Ambassador was quick to respond.

"The Buddhist philosophy from India is a strong influence that has enriched and contributed to our culture. Then there is yoga from India which is also popular with the opening of training centres in the country.

"Another influence is the Bollywood films which are becoming very popular in China. Bollywood films are competing with the Hollywood hits," said the Chinese envoy to India, smiling from ear to ear.

Highlighting the cultural harmony, Zhang said "My embassy staff too is undergoing training in yoga", drawing an applause from the audience comprising academicians, social workers, businessmen and diplomats who included former Indian Ambassador to the US Ronen Sen.

The opening of the centre here was happening in 2012, being celebrated as the "Year of Dragon" in China, denoting good fortunes as per the Chinese zodiac, he noted.

Bollywood films are popular in China - The Times of India

Yes dude, 3 idiots is very nice a movie.
I personally did not like it for being too sentimental, but individual choice.
There are many bollywood movies, good and bad, you will like it if you are emotional like south asians/middle eastern.

3 idiots is good, but havent seen any other bollywood movies

I heard that MY NAME IS KHAN is only third movie that released in china( I could be wrong). Could be that is the reason.

I personally did not like it for being too sentimental, but individual choice.
There are many bollywood movies, good and bad, you will like it if you are emotional like south asians/middle eastern.

I understand.

My name is Khan(i hope i am correct) was nice movie too. I have watched a lot Indian movies but most of them were ridiculous (i hope yo aren't offended) but these two movies were good.

I understand.

My name is Khan(i hope i am correct) was nice movie too. I have watched a lot Indian movies but most of them were ridiculous (i hope yo aren't offended) but these two movies were good.

I am not offended. The percentage of ridiculous bollywood movies is just too high for me. But again Individual choice, I like realism than fantacy(and song and dance)
You should understand it is primarily for Indian audience, who want to go to cinema and escape hard reality of life.
You will be disappointed if you try to search cinematic value in them.

See Dabaang its awesome movie, u'll definetly like it also see "wanted","lagaan","Gaddar"(not recommended to pakistani bros)..
Yeah some movies are ridiculous considering the direction and story which they used are worst sometime..
Do watch "Agneepath" the latest hit...

I have decided that i will watch only aamir khans movies and marathi movies in theaters...

I have decided that i will watch only aamir khans movies and marathi movies in theaters...

You should watch movies based on track records of directors, and not actors, ameer has done some horrible movies like "Mann"(I remember I left the cinema hall in the middle)

Zindagi na milegi dobara is good movie. I really enjoyed it

Heard a Chinese immigrant in India sing, "Mera jootha hai Japani, patloon Inglistani, sar pe laal topi Chini, phir bhi dil hai Hindustani!"

Cheers! :cheers:

I heard that MY NAME IS KHAN is only third movie that released in china( I could be wrong). Could be that is the reason.
no idea, i remember was i was small, there were quite few bollywood movies, but people are easily got bored of it as they are too damn long and too much singing and dancing

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom