What's new

Blast at Xinjiang school injures 17, say China media

BEIJING — State media reported that staff at a religious school in heavily Muslim far western China set off explosives to fend off a police raid and that 12 children were burned. An overseas rights group, however, blamed tear gas used by paramilitary forces for the injuries.
The Tianshan news portal for the Xinjiang region said the 12 were hospitalized after the raid Wednesday, but didn’t say how badly they were hurt. Three police and two of the three staff at the school in Hotan city also were injured, it said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/12-children-hurt-in-raid-on-china-religious-school-state-blames-staff-activists-blame-police/2012/06/06/gJQAHdEyJV_story.html

heavy handed tactics from the red brigade?

I hope the situation gets better. Is it true that Uighur women aren't allowed to wear hijab? Is it true that Muslims are banned from fasting in Ramadan in China?
If correct, then China must work to improve their conditions and make the situations better.

Picture from Hongkong's Ming News:

19071395850.jpg

I am all for religious freedom, but training children to be Jihad bombers is a separate thing, it is hard to imagine some Indians actually are sympathetic of this. The police raided because of a tip of ethnic Uyghur parents, and local police in Hotan (most Southern Xinjiang) are Uyghurs as well. If the police didn't take action, I am sure you guys will say that Chinese government don't care about Uyghur children's life. Whatever.

I hope the situation gets better. Is it true that Uighur women aren't allowed to wear hijab? Is it true that Muslims are banned from fasting in Ramadan in China?
If correct, then China must work to improve their conditions and make the situations better.

Nope, there was a proposal in a town to ban the full veil but that never happened, no Muslims aren't banned from Ramadan otherwise we would have seen riots in ningxia.

Nope, there was a proposal in a town to ban the full veil but that never happened, no Muslims aren't banned from Ramadan otherwise we would have seen riots in my hometown ningxia.

Your not telling the whole truth i can post links

Picture from Hongkong's Ming News:

19071395850.jpg

I am all for religious freedom, but training children to be Jihad bombers is a separate thing, it is hard to imagine some Indians actually are sympathetic of this. The police raided because of a tip of ethnic Uyghur parents, and local police in Hotan (most Southern Xinjiang) are Uyghurs as well. If the police didn't take action, I am sure you guys will say that Chinese government don't care about Uyghur children's life. Whatever.

Exactly this what I was trying to explain the tip was by uighur parents over their kids fear at school, and Hotan is a extremist, the police raided it due to the uighurs parents some people are to blinded by their china hatred to actually see this.

Your not telling the whole truth i can post links

go ahead post your links, ramadan was very much celebrated in Ningxia.

Chinese Muslims banned from fasting in Ramadan - MuslimVillage.com | MuslimVillage.com

Amid fresh arrests, restrictions on fasting and prayers at mosques, Uighur Muslims are suffering under the latest episode of Chinese government crackdown on their ethnic minority in the northwestern region of Xinjiang.

“If any religious figure discusses Ramadan during the course of religious activities, or encourages people to take part, then they will lose their license to practice,” Dilxat Raxit, spokesman for the Munich-based World Uighur Congress, told Eurasia Review on Friday, August 5.

“The more serious cases will result in arrests for incitement to engage in illegal religious activity,” he said.

A day before the start of the holy fasting month for China’s Muslims, at least 11 people were killed in a series of attacks in the north-western region of Xinjiang.

Chinese authorities blamed the attacks to the ethnic minority, after which the Chinese police shot dead two Muslims last Sunday.

The attacks came less than two weeks after 18 people were killed in an attack in the restive Xinjiang region.

Following the unrest, more than 100 uighurs were detained by Chinese authorities.

Most of those detained as suspects were committed Muslims who attended mosque and whose wives wore veils, residents say.

Xinjiang’s capital, Urumqi, was the scene of deadly violence in July 2009 when the mainly Muslim Uighur minority vented resentment over Chinese restrictions in the region.

In the following days, mobs of angry Han took to the streets looking for revenge in the worst ethnic violence that China had seen in decades.

The unrest left nearly 200 dead and 1,700 injured, according to government figures. But Uighurs, a Turkic-speaking Muslim minority, say the toll was much higher and mainly from their community.

China’s authorities have convicted about 200 people, mostly Uighurs, over the riots and sentenced 26 of them to death.

No Fasting

Beijing slapped severe restrictions on Chinese Muslims as the holy fasting month of Ramadan started.

As for Muslim members of the government throughout Xinjiang, the government forced them to sign “letters of responsibility” promising to avoid fasting, evening prayers, or other religious activities.

“Fasting during Ramadan is a traditional ethnic custom, and they are allowed to do that,” an employee who answered the phone at a local government neighborhood committee office in the regional capital Urumqi said confirming the restrictions.

“But they aren’t allowed to hold any religious activities during Ramadan,” she added.

“Party members are not allowed to fast for Ramadan, and neither are civil servants.”

As for private companies, Uighur Muslim employees were offered lunches during fasting hours.

Anyone who refuses to eat could lose their annual bonus, or even their job, Raxit added.

Officials have also targeted Muslim schoolchildren, providing them with free lunches during the fasting period.

A Uighur resident of Beijing said students under 18 are forbidden from fasting during Ramadan. Moreover, government campaigns forced restaurants in the Muslim majority region to stay open all day.

More restrictions were also imposed on people trying to attend prayers at mosques.

Everyone attending prayers has to register with their national identity card, he added.

“They have to register,” he said.

“[After prayers] they aren’t allowed to [congregate and] talk to each other.”

In Ramadan, adult Muslims abstain from food, drink, smoking and sex between dawn and sunset.

The sick and those traveling are exempt from fasting especially if it poses health risks.

Muslims dedicate their time during the holy month to be closer to Allah through prayers, self-restraint and good deeds.

So you post one from Xinjiang in small towns where the ban was lifted ? yet you fail to see the difference between Xinjiang and Ningxia the Hui and Uighur regions, I asked you for your link on the Ramadan ban in Ningxia you cannot find one in because it never happened.

So you post one from Xinjiang in small towns where the ban was lifted ? yet you fail to see the difference between Xinjiang and Ningxia the Hui and Uighur regions, I asked you for your link on the ban in the Ramadan ban in Ningxia you cannot find one in because it never happened.

I was not talking about that but what you claim was everything was A okay which I have posted it is not the case and discrimination does exist.

Where did you learn that? You can see women wearing hijab when Erdoğan visited Urumuqi a few weeks ago. But I personally think more Hui Muslims wearing Hijab, here's typical costumes from other two Muslim Turkic group (Kazakhs and Uigurs), the model is a red-hot Uyghur model and actor in China:

As to the Ramadan, I will have our Muslim member Hu Songshan answering that, he is actually on this thread now.

I was not talking about that but what you claim was everything was A okay which I have posted it is not the case and discrimination does exist.

Of course it does and the government moved the fix the problem by removing it and hiring more uighurs including removing the ban no ones denying that however your moving way off topic the article was about uighur parents that tipped the police due to their children in illegal school.

So you post one from Xinjiang in small towns where the ban was lifted ? yet you fail to see the difference between Xinjiang and Ningxia the Hui and Uighur regions, I asked you for your link on the Ramadan ban in Ningxia you cannot find one in because it never happened.
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but do you mean that in Xinjiang there's still a ban on fasting in Ramadan?

Of course it does and the government moved the fix the problem by removing it and hiring more uighurs including removing the ban no ones denying that however your moving way off topic the article was about uighur parents that tipped the police due to their children in illegal school.

the injuries to the kids was caused by police use of tear gas it is reported.

Back
Top Bottom