What's new

Big names rumoured for World XI tour to Pakistan

hassamun

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A pair of former Test captains mentioned as Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) look to lock in three-match T20 series in September.

Former Australia skipper Michael Clarke and Proteas batting superstar Hashim Amla are among the names who could feature in a World XI side set to visit Pakistan.

While the PCB is still awaiting official security clearance from the Punjab government for the tour to go ahead, the proposal involves a three-match T20 series against the Pakistan national team, which would be recognised as full internationals by the ICC.

“Andy Flower will be the coach of the touring World XI side,” PCB chairman Shahryar Khan said on a local television show, before adding he had “heard that Hashim Amla, Michael Clarke, along with New Zealander Luke Ronchi and Australian Tim Paine, are going to be part of the team”.

Only a 2015 tour by Zimbabwe, which included three ODIs and two T20Is, has broken a run of more than eight years without international cricket in Pakistan, since a Sri Lanka team bus was attacked by gunmen in Lahore.

However, a successful staging of the Pakistan Super League final at the Gaddafi Stadium in the same city in March this year led to the head of the ICC’s Pakistan task team Giles Clarke to conceiving of the idea of a World XI tour, which has since gathered momentum as the PCB look to encourage the return of international teams to their war-torn country.

“I have spoken to (the government) but I’m waiting for a final word,” said Khan, “which I am hopeful to receiving in time.”

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/07/23/big-names-rumoured-for-world-xi-tour-to-pakistan/

Back
Top Bottom