What's new

Bhutan first stop for PM Narendra Modi, to visit US in September

StormShadow

Reaction score

New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will travel to Bhutan later this month in his first foreign visit after assuming power and he will hold a Summit meeting with US President Barack Obama in the last week of September.
The invitation for Modi to visit the US came during the congratulatory call to PM by Obama after the Lok Sabha election results were out.

"A date was offered by the US side for the meeting and both the countries are working on it," official sources said.

It is understood that Washington has proposed September 30 as the date for the meeting but the Indian side is looking at clubbing the bilateral meeting with Modi's visit to the US for the United Nations General Assembly around September 26.

In the meanwhile in his first foreign visit after taking over as the prime minister, Modi will be travelling to Bhutan later this month and will hold talks on key bilateral and regional issues with the leadership of the Himalayan nation, top government sources said.

Sources said that an official team will be leaving for Thimphu on Friday to work out the relevant logistics and do the ground work for PM's visit.

The visit is set to take place after the ongoing Parliament session ends, possibly in mid June.

Modi’s calendar was worked upon and once his schedule was cleared, the trip was planned.

Of all the countries that had invited him, sources said PM Modi was keen to begin by visiting a neighbouring country. And although Nepal and Pakistan figured high on the list, Bhutan was chosen above all countries.
Nepal would be hosting the SAARC summit later this year, hence Bhutan became the first country on Modi's tour diary.

Lyonchhen Tshering Tobgay, Prime Minister of Bhutan, had met PM Narendra Modi at Hyderabad House after the latter's swearing-in recently and invited him to the Himalayan kingdom.

US President Obama on the other hand was among the first foreign leaders to call up Modi and congratulated him on his "emphatic election victory" and said the largest democracy in the world has given a "decisive mandate".

The US President also wished that under Modi's leadership, India will contribute significantly at the global stage.

Both the leaders had discussed the India-US Strategic Partnership and the prevailing global economic situation.

The call was the first high-level contact between Modi and the US leadership ever since 2005 when the Gujarat chief minister had been denied a US visa due to his alleged complicity in the 2002 riots in the state.

Modi is also likely to travel to Brazil to participate in the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) summit in mid July.

Bhutan has just got a lucky visitor to their nation.

Quote humorous really, a lot of speculation was made about which "strategically significant" nation he would visit first- Russia, Japan, China, US or maybe even Israel and it turns out to be Bhutan!

Perhaps, this is actually a masterstroke! A lot was made up of his first international visit being a signal of where is foreign policy direction would be headed and now this way now "important" nation is left disappointed.

This step clearly shows that , Narendra Modi want to strengthen India's relationship with neighbor country....I think we should not waste time with pakistan ... We have wasted enough 60+ years time...without any +ve result.

Didn't see that coming I guess all of us were wrong.

Smart move. The idea is to strengthen home front before moving forward. First invited SAARC leaders, then visiting Bhutan, then BRICS, then Chinese president comes, then other nations as we progress.

I really hope he visits Japan before meeting Mr. O.

Modi is so unpredictable....... I guess everyone should stop speculating on his future steps.....

Its the failure of a body like SAARC that China has been able to make inroads into Indian sub-continent. And a good thing that GoI has woken up to this reality and strengthening of SAARC is the first thing Modi can do. India being the largest economically and area wise should take the lead and set up a SAARC fund as well, for the over all infrastructure improvement of the region, where even Nepal & Bhutan can have access to S-E Asian markets using the Indo-Bangladesh land/train routes.

How can someone think us to be strong globally if we are not even strong in our home turf. I think Modi starting with SAARC was imperative.

Its simple, he does not want too much read into his choice of first visit.

Basically keeping his cards close, just as it should be.

Its the failure of a body like SAARC that China has been able to make inroads into Indian sub-continent. And a good thing that GoI has woken up to this reality and strengthening of SAARC is the first thing Modi can do. India being the largest economically and area wise should take the lead and set up a SAARC fund as well, for the over all infrastructure improvement of the region, where even Nepal & Bhutan can have access to S-E Asian markets using the Indo-Bangladesh land/train routes.

How can someone think us to be strong globally if we are not even strong in our home turf. I think Modi starting with SAARC was imperative.

SAARC is dead as a Dhodho, let it die in peace. It was a bad idea in the first place and has no use what so ever. The idea of bringing SA nations closer together like the EU is stupid, we don't trust each other n have very little in common (and far more that separate us).

Setup a SAARC fund, you've got to be kidding. India is in no position to do that right now, just a small nation as Bangladesh is developing infrastructure projects like ports, bridges, roads, rail, airports etc that needs between $20bn - $30bn right now! And the only viable country that can provide the loans and build those infrastructure is China, that's the hard truth (that's why our PM, who loves india even now is touring China).

If you were unaware SAARC also contains Pakistan, are you proposing to setup a fund for them too? Let it go an let the stupid SAARC fade away slowly.

I bet he gets these ideas from his longtime trusted cook and those two personal PAs that he brought along with him from Gujurat!!............:D

Modi is so unpredictable....... I guess everyone should stop speculating on his future steps.....

Its just that we are used to a conventional way of actions & thoughts.

If you follow Putin ( not that I am drawing parallels) you will appreciate how Modi & his advisers think.

Next, he comes from Gujarat where he has done a splendid job. Therefore think investment that would take you to Japan.

Connect the dots between trip to Bhutan & Japan and the picture that emerges in the shadows is China.

Back
Top Bottom