What's new

Belgian pilot falls out of helicopter

Body of missing helicopter pilot found
2409830517.jpg

Mon 04/09/2017 - 16:32 MBThe body of the helicopter pilot that fell out of a military helicopter in the skies above Liège province has been found, near to the town of Huy (Liège province). Sunday’s accident happened during a demonstration. The helicopter’s co-pilot was able to land safely.
On Sunday afternoon a search for the pilot drew a blank. The helicopter had been taking part in a parachute demonstration as part of an open day at the Belgian Army’s Genie Battalion.

Two pilots were aboard the Agusta A-109 helicopter when one of them fell out at an altitude of several hundred metres.

An army helicopter equipped with a thermal camera flew over the area where the pilot had fallen out, but was unable to find him. The Federal Police Missing Person’s Cell also attended the scene with two dogs.

Meanwhile, soldiers searched the heavily wooded area where the pilot’s remains were believed to be. The search was halted at nightfall.

The pilot’s body was finally found on Monday near to the town of Huy. The exact circumstances surrounding his fall from the helicopter remain unclear. Suicide has not been ruled out.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.3060246

The pilot’s body was finally found on Monday near to the town of Huy. The exact circumstances surrounding his fall from the helicopter remain unclear. Suicide has not been ruled out.

That is really bizarre, and unfortunate of course. At first I thought it was very strange that it was the pilot himself who fell out, then the fact that he obviously wasn't buckled up, and lastly why his door would be open under those circumstances.

I think it's safe to say that this is highly unlikely to be an accident, and that suicide might ultimately be the reason. You would have to be quite negligent and very careless to "accidentally" fall out of a helicopter being the pilot.
Tragic shame.

That is really bizarre, and unfortunate of course. At first I thought it was very strange that it was the pilot himself who fell out, then the fact that he obviously wasn't buckled up, and lastly why his door would be open under those circumstances.

I think it's safe to say that this is highly unlikely to be an accident, and that suicide might ultimately be the reason. You would have to be quite negligent and very careless to "accidentally" fall out of a helicopter being the pilot.
Tragic shame.
Can't find another explanation than suicide either

Very sad incident but human mind is a much complex machine than a helicopter so no one can really comment what forced him to commit suicide while other human lives and military equipment were dependent on his good mental and physical state.

Back
Top Bottom