What's new

'Beijing-Dhaka ties will be substantially damaged if Bangladesh joins Quad'

Ha ha ha - right on cue...dekho bhai I already told you guys this two days ago, That Chinese Foreign Ministry would issue a "note verbal" clarification. :lol:

Regardless of internal negotiations, outer peace and harmony must always be shown as sacrosanct....

Appearances/Perceptions count, not reality....

Ha ha ha - right on cue...dekho bhai I already told you guys this two days ago, That Chinese Foreign Ministry would issue a "note verbal" clarification. :lol:

Regardless of internal negotiations, outer peace and harmony must always be shown as sacrosanct....

Appearances/Perceptions count, not reality....
This incident is not as simple as one might think.

The Chinese ambassador's remarks were very cautious and this statement has made China's attitude perfectly clear. There must be a reason why the Chinese ambassador made this statement in public. It means that things have developed to the point where the ambassador needs to say these things in public. It is no longer useful to speak in private.
Perhaps the Bangladeshi government has already chosen its side, most likely the US-India side.

The Chinese ambassador's remarks were very cautious and this statement has made China's attitude perfectly clear. There must be a reason why the Chinese ambassador made this statement in public. It means that things have developed to the point where the ambassador needs to say these things in public. It is no longer useful to speak in private.
Perhaps the Bangladeshi government has already chosen its side, most likely the US-India side.
we will continue to hold our non-aligned policy

Bangladesh to continue following non-aligned foreign policy: FM (msn.com)

1620953965508.png

Bangladesh, May 11 -- Foreign Minister Dr AK Abdul on Tuesday said Bangladesh maintained a non-aligned and balanced foreign policy and it will decide what to do following that principles.

"We're an independent and sovereign State. We decide our foreign policy. But yes, any country can uphold its position," he told reporters adding that they see with respect what others say.

Read: Beijing wants Dhaka not to join Quad

The Foreign Minister made the remarks when his comments sought on Chinese Ambassador to Bangladesh Li Jiming's remarks on "Quad" and Bangladesh.

"Naturally, he (Ambassador) represents a country. They can say what they want. Maybe they don't want it (Bangladesh's joining Quad)," Dr Momen said, adding that no one from the organisation that was mentioned did not approach Bangladesh.

"The comment has been an advanced one," said the Foreign Minister.

Dr Momen said many people said many things in the past but Bangladesh is guided by its principled position.

Read: 5 lakh doses of Chinese vaccine to arrive on May 12: Envoy

He said they will decide following the foreign policy principles considering the interest of people and the country. "We'll continue to do it (maintaining non-aligned and balanced foreign policy)."

"What he (Ambassador) said it's fine. We've nothing to say about it," Dr Momen added.

Chinese Ambassador Li Jiming on Monday said Bangladesh's relations with China will "substantially get damaged" if Bangladesh joins "Quad", a US-led initiative.

The envoy said obviously it will not be a good idea for Bangladesh to participate in this small club of four countries because it will substantially damage the bilateral relationship between the two countries.

"So, we don't like to see any form of participation by Bangladesh to this small group of countries," said Ambassador Li.

Read: Ready to offer more support if Covid situation deteriorates in Bangladesh: China

He termed "Quad" a military alliance aiming against China's resurgence and its relationship with neighbouring countries.

The US, India, Japan and Australia are part of an informal strategic alliance - the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, or Quad as it is known.

Published by HT Digital Content Services with permission from United News of Bangladesh.

I would not be so sure.

Chinese investments in Bangladesh are in several tens of Billions of dollars over last few years. These are major projects like the Padma bridge, railway projects, power stations and several export zone investments of massive size. Dhaka Stock exchange has agreement with the bourse in Shanghai, Indians failed to get any buy in to our stock exchange.

The income of these high level officials like ministers are closely connected to China (bribes). They would not bite the hand that feeds them. India is applying pressure but will lose influence over Bangladesh politics. It is just a matter of time.

India has no money to influence these Bangladesh ministers or the PM. US doesn't care.

Bangladesh will not get anywhere without Chinese machinery, infra and Chinese expertise. The PM and ministers know this.

I have a theory - Mr. Li Ji Ming is simply homesick and wants to go home. This is a good way to have that happen. :-)
Then it is the wrong side filled with deaths. Unnecessary deaths. Pity.

Choosing QUAD means Indian troops have free access to and transit through Bangladesh land.

If this is the case then kiss Bangladesh sovereignty goodbye.

I don't think the Bangladesh diplomats are that callous.

But I wonder why Sheikh Hasina (PM) did not meet with Chinese Defence Minister Mr. Wei Feng He?

He only met with our President (who is a showpiece figure with no power).

May be a move to placate the Indians...

Last edited:
Stop smoking whatever the heck you're smoking cuz it's not good for you , you're losing your mind ! The sky is not falling , it's just another day of geopolitics .

Amazing you are in the US while dissing US, too bad you can't do the same in China !

No one owes you anything my communist friend , you're not doing anybody any favor.

It's geopolitics of course and deserves a geopolitical response. If BD wants to participate in a geopolitical gambit to make China's life miserable, don't you think China would not and should not return the favor? By signing up with the US-led QUAD, BD gives up its neutrality in a geopolitical fight between China and the US. Then BD should stand ready to fight. It's not the end of the world, per se, but it's going to be messy. A high-intensity conventional war in East Asia is likely.

The fact that I'm in the US means I can't speak against its 'me-first' exceptionalism and hegemonic tactics? Hell no. I could speak my mind to any US politicians. I'd told some of them I'd never donate to any US veteran groups because I do not think they'd ever defended their homeland. So be that. Shove away that donation box. That you mentioned and assumed I'm or I was a communist shows your stereotyped bias. Yet I'm not surprised because you have been brainwashed by Western media that equate communists to evil. Your bias will work against people's lives and livelihood.

You will do better as a weather forecaster. Try it, a sure success.

You forgot to forecast what India's great friend Pakistan would in such a case when the bulk of IA troops are engaged in BD. It will be the happiest day for them. They would move to Kashmir and take it over and IA troops with their bulk in the east cannot protect the onslaught.

This will be the beginning of the end of the ragtag Union of India.

Jay Hind!!!
Exactly my point

But BJP needs a war. and in their mind BD is the softest viable target..

Last edited:
I have a theory - Mr. Li Ji Ming is simply homesick and wants to go home. This is a good way to have that happen. :-)
This ambassador's statement is normal and clear , there is nothing wrong with it .
The fact that the ambassador expressed China's attitude so clearly in a public forum is in itself an indication that things have progressed to the point where expression is necessary.

Such a straightforward speech is good for the interaction between the two countries and reduces misunderstandings and confusion.

I have always believed in Bangladesh's neutrality because it is in the best interest of Bangladesh to remain neutral.
At the same time, I know that there is a lot of pressure on Bangladesh to remain neutral because the US, India and the West do not want Bangladesh to remain neutral. This is not only happening to Bangladesh, but also to other countries .
To put it bluntly, I trust Bangladesh and I trust the ambassador, but I don't trust the US and I don't trust India.
The US is putting pressure on many countries every day to follow the US in containing China.
It is like an old man using the last of its power and strength to suppress the young man who can take its place.
China only needs other countries to remain neutral. Because China's power will eventually overtake that of the United States as time goes by.

Last edited:
I have always believed in Bangladesh's neutrality because it is in the best interest of Bangladesh to remain neutral.
At the same time, I know that there is a lot of pressure on Bangladesh to remain neutral because the US, India and the West do not want Bangladesh to remain neutral. This is not only happening to Bangladesh, but also to other countries .
The US is putting pressure on many countries every day to follow the US in containing China.
It is like an old man using the last of its power and strength to suppress the young man who can take its place.
China only needs other countries to remain neutral. Because China's power will eventually overtake that of the United States as time goes by.

US is rotting from inside. Non whites are now only 55% of US population. US economy is under huge strains. By 2050 US will be like Mexico and Brazil demographically and weak.

Exactly my point

But BJP needs a war. and in their mind BD is the softest viable target..

If BJP sees Bangladesh as a soft target then they would make the greatest mistake of their lives and ruin their chances and possible China using this an an excuse for future incursions. India is not stupid enough to invade Bangladesh and especially if Bangladesh upgrades it's military then it will definitely not even think of invading us. (Unless India wants their own Vietnam)

Which nation is really in a position to help Bangladesh today?

She never have to choose but be realistic.

The politicians in Bangladesh should asked themselves before engaging a tirade of useless words of war with China. :coffee:

I would not be so sure.

Chinese investments in Bangladesh are in several tens of Billions of dollars over last few years. These are major projects like the Padma bridge, railway projects, power stations and several export zone investments of massive size. Dhaka Stock exchange has agreement with the bourse in Shanghai, Indians failed to get any buy in to our stock exchange.

The income of these high level officials like ministers are closely connected to China (bribes). They would not bite the hand that feeds them. India is applying pressure but will lose influence over Bangladesh politics. It is just a matter of time.

India has no money to influence these Bangladesh ministers or the PM. US doesn't care.

Bangladesh will not get anywhere without Chinese machinery, infra and Chinese expertise. The PM and ministers know this.

Choosing QUAD means Indian troops have free access to and transit through Bangladesh land.

If this is the case then kiss Bangladesh sovereignty goodbye.

I don't think the Bangladesh diplomats are that callous.

But I wonder why Sheikh Hasina (PM) did not meet with Chinese Defence Minister Mr. Wei Feng He?

He only met with our President (who is a showpiece figure with no power).

May be a move to placate the Indians...

I think the ambassador and the Chinese government are just being overly cautious and giving early warnings to all China friendly countries. China has been responding aggressively to members of Quad, specially Australia lately, now the situation is almost like Chinese and Australians are declared enemies. The Quad and 5 Eyes are trying to recruit as may countries as they can on their side and their diplomacy is ongoing behind the scenes. China knows about it and probably is just giving early warning. There is I think nothing more to it.

As for us, joining Quad will be a disastrous decision and SHW doesn't have high opinion of the Americans. I remember her saying a few years back that wherever the Americans went they brought war, death and destruction. On the other hand we can't overtly join the Chinese side either because our economy and exports depend totally on US and European markets. The BD government is just stuck in between a rock and a hard place with this one. So, they will and they should do everything they can to avoid choosing a side.

However, if a war type of scenario happens (extremely unlikely) BD should watch the sitaution for sometime and overtly join the Chinese side. But that position of ours can't be and shouldn't be exposed at the moment. For now, it's the non-aligned movement rhetoric that suits us best.

I think the ambassador and the Chinese government are just being overly cautious and giving early warnings to all China friendly countries. China has been responding aggressively to members of Quad, specially Australia lately, now the situation is almost like Chinese and Australians are declared enemies. The Quad and 5 Eyes are trying to recruit as may countries as they can on their side and their diplomacy is ongoing behind the scenes. China knows about it and probably is just giving early warning. There is I think nothing more to it.

As for us, joining Quad will be a disastrous decision and SHW doesn't have high opinion of the Americans. I remember her saying a few years back that wherever the Americans went they brought war, death and destruction. On the other hand we can't overtly join the Chinese side either because our economy and exports depend totally on US and European markets. The BD government is just stuck in between a rock and a hard place with this one. So, they will and they should do everything they can to avoid choosing a side.

However, if a war type of scenario happens (extremely unlikely) BD should watch the sitaution for sometime and overtly join the Chinese side. But that position of ours can't be and shouldn't be exposed at the moment. For now, it's the non-aligned movement rhetoric that suits us best.
Sober analysis.👍
The ambassador's public statement was helpful in keeping Bangladesh neutral, and Bangladesh could use it to ward off some of the pressure from US India .

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom