What's new

B'desh steps up troops deployment on Myanmar border amid row

Latest news

Border sees push-ins, push-backs
Rohingyas driven into Bangladesh territory every day

A Myanmar national with her child crosses over to Bangladesh territory at Naikkhangchhari of Bandarban avoiding detection by Bangladesh Rifles personnel and persecution by Nasaka on the other side. Inset, these people end up at the Rohingya refugee camp in Ukhia. Photo: Anisur Rahman

Our Correspondent, Bandarban
Push-ins and push-backs are going on across the border with Myanmar amid tensions following mobilisation of a huge number of Myanmarese troops along the border for erecting barbed wire fence.

Meanwhile, Bangladesh has sent in more reinforcements on the border with Myanmar to strengthen its strategic position in the face of massive military build-up by the latter's junta.

Sources at the intelligence agencies said Nasaka, the border security force of Myanmar, gathered about 10,000 Rohingyas at several bordering points opposite Naikhongchhari last week in a bid to push them into the Bangladesh territory.

Local people said even after receiving the Rohingyas from the Bangladesh authorities, Nasaka forced them again to enter into the country using other borders of the hill district.

Some 154 Rohingyas were pushed back to their country in last two weeks through the Naikhongchhari border, BDR sources said.

The Rohingyas who returned from their country after the handover to the Myanmar authorities said they were compelled to enter into Bangladesh as Nasaka men tortured them and forced them to work like building barbed wire fence, bunkers, etc.

Against the backdrop of this trend, police and BDR have taken the policy of pushing the Rohingyas back to Myanmar instead of filing cases against them to avoid the problems in jails created by their continued infiltration into Bangladesh.

A source in Bandarban district police said 550 accused and convicts, most of them Rohingyas, are staying in the Bandarban jail with a capacity of 114.

The source said the pushing back policy has been taken following directives from the high-ups in the government.

Wishing anonymity a BDR official told The Daily Star that they cannot stop Rohingya infiltration due to lack of surveillance on 288 km long border as the geographical location is unfavourable and the number of border out post (BoP) insufficient.

Police and BDR in separate drives held 44 Rohingyas from the district this week. Of them, 12 Rohingyas were held from Ali Kadam upazila on Sunday night, 21 from Sadar upazila on Tuesday while 11 from Lama upazila on Wednesday.

MORE TROOPS MOBILSED ON BORDER

Bangladesh has sent in more reinforcements on the Myanmar border to strengthen its strategic position in the face of massive build-up and repeated provocative actions by the military junta on the other side, border sources said.

They said three more battalions were mobilised yesterday. A convoy carrying cannons, artillery guns and other armaments from Comilla and Chittagong were moved to the border. They were stationed in Barabil of Ramu and Fashiakhali in Bandarban.

Tension arose on the Bangladesh-Myanmar border as Myanmar augmented its forces in the border area with tanks, artillery guns and warships in the adjacent waters.

People in the bordering villages said Myanmar constructed bunkers to fortify the border area and its forces were patrolling with heavy weapons.

Earlier Bangladesh sent a brigade to Ramu upazila of Cox's Bazar. It was moved in to the bordering area yesterday.

Sources in Bangladesh army said Myanmar would not be able to intrude into our territory, as the soldiers of BDR remain on high alert.

The Daily Star - Details News

Last edited:
Guys,
Any news on the military build up from both sides? As nothing has happened till now, can we consider that the heat is diffusing and matter would be resolved without bullets? Or is it simply the silence before the storm?

I am surprised that the Indian media is completely silent on this issue.

No its not diffused yet.They are trying to push in thousands of Rohingya into Bangladesh.Bangladesh have reinforced more troops.

About Indian media being silent,its simply business.Nothing is happening now,except stand off.When there will be a war,Indian media will jump into it like cheetah.You know,thats when the TRP increases.

It is not India who failed the liberated state of B`Desh.but its B`Desh itself failed to keep on the Indian promise.Instead it is supporting the NE rebellions and sending waves of illegal immigrants into the main land India.

And regarding the water issue: It is chinese who are controlling the brahmaputra waters not the India.You people need to understand that the Land of B`Desh was let dry due to the China`s evil water poly. period
I assume you have just returned from a trip to the MARS. Please read many other posts to know that what you are saying have been told time and again in many other posts.

As I mentioned earlier no matter which angle this escalation plays out indian hands, plan and gains are written all over it. Here are consequences for Bangladesh and gain for india.

1. First and foremost, loss of Bangladesh maritime territory to Myanmar and will facilitate indian claim over Bangladesh maritime territory.
2. Loss of road access through Myanmar and forever be hostage to indian territory and trade monopoly.
3. Loss of a trusted and strategic friend and ally and partner, China and provide a passage for indian hegemony.
4. Bangladesh armed forces will lose only reliable source for military any hardware. Therefore Bangladesh military will be ceased to exist.
5. In case of armed confrontation, situation will set the stage for inviting indian forces inside Bangladesh territory. Given an submissive regime in power that is likely.
6. Loss of future and most promising market - China.

guys if myanmur is threat and proveking us..i think lets just drop some bombs in their air base...

end of stroy
mijanur, are you all right? I liked your comment, because when I was very young like you, I also used to think of destroying a nearby country by bombing, as you are now thinking of Burma. But, note the Newton's Law, 'For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.'

Moreover, whoever fires the first bullet that starts a war, will be castigated by other countries as the aggressor.

As I mentioned earlier no matter which angle this escalation plays out indian hands, plan and gains are written all over it. Here are consequences for Bangladesh and gain for india.

1. First and foremost, loss of Bangladesh maritime territory to Myanmar and will facilitate indian claim over Bangladesh maritime territory.
2. Loss of road access through Myanmar and forever be hostage to indian territory and trade monopoly.
3. Loss of a trusted and strategic friend and ally and partner, China and provide a passage for indian hegemony.
4. Bangladesh armed forces will lose only reliable source for military any hardware. Therefore Bangladesh military will be ceased to exist.
5. In case of armed confrontation, situation will set the stage for inviting indian forces inside Bangladesh territory. Given an submissive regime in power that is likely.
6. Loss of future and most promising market - China.

If BD muffs it with its only other neighbor, is India to blame ?

... and if the repercussions are so strong for BD as above, why all this war talk ? Go on & make friends. It will pay better in the long run as friendship always does.

^^^

Making friends with the Junta is as difficult as making friends with Hitler.They are of same type.As you have probably seen that they are in no mood for negotiation.They are the aggressor.

Latest news

Border sees push-ins, push-backs
Rohingyas driven into Bangladesh territory every day

[The Daily Star - Details News
After reading the news, it seems that one Brigade of army troops have moved from Ramu to the border and three army battallions have moved from Comilla and Chittagong Cantonments to take up positions in Ramu. In all then, a maximum of 8,000 troops have been sent to or near the Burmerse border. I assume, if BDR troops are included, the total BD troop strength at present may have reached around 10,000.

This is the first time that BD army has moved troops to the border region after a similar situation in 1991 along the same border. About 20,000 troops were mobilized at that time against the Burmese mobilization of 50,000 troops.

In 2001, BDR alone handled the situation in Padua and Roumary borders with India. BD and Indian govts did not allow the situation to aggrevate at that time, so army troops were not required to be moved against the intrusion of a contingent of IA troops in Roumary.

The post below has been sent by raihan.iicu in another thread. I have just copied and pasted it here. Hope the original poster will not take it otherwise. THanks.

'eastwatch'

I go last day the border of Teknaf Near Mayanmar , I analysis all information then get some rare information from some muslim Rohinga That Mayanmar Army Prepared a long land war against bangladesh

Already they are 55,000 Thousands soildesr of mayanmar Army ,

And 1 Artilary Division

And 56 Tanks {chinis}

And 16,750 Thousands soilders of NASAKA

I get all information from there practically....

The numbers are making me think about the reliability of the information.

IF its really true,then we have a serious problem.You can certainly initiate a war with those number.

The original poster Raihan should elaborate more.

That's real easy for you to say sitting in comfort 1000's of miles away in a first world country. Bangladesh "needs" to spend $10 billion on arms just as much I "need" a third nipple on my elbow.
No, iajdani is not sitting in his comfortable air-conditioned room and is dreaming to build a strong army by spending a package of $10 billion. $10 billion is nothing compared to the stake we may have in our sea territories that Burma claims.

Say, there is a gas field that contains 10 trillion cft of natural gas. At the rate of US$5 per thousand cft, the value of this gas is $50 billion. Shall we decide to keep a $10 billion fund in a foreign Bank only to see Burma taking away our $50 billion worth of gas?

You are thinking of a very poor BD of the past. But, BD is comparatively richer now. We earn $25 billion every year by exporting goods and manpower. Our Banks are flushed with 41,000 crore Taka (equivalent to about $5.9 billion) without being properly utilized. Our foreign exchange reserve is almost $9.5 billion. Very tiny comparing to Indian reserve of $140 billion, but still good. We are also self-sufficient in food production this year.

Bangladesh Bank (our central Bank) Governor is grumbling that this unused fund will bring negative effects on economy, it may raise the value of Taka. This will diminish the competitive edge of our exports. So, I think it will be wiser to spend $2 billion this year to pay as the down payment for a purchase of $10 or $20 billion worth of arms, tanks and fighter planes before the Burmese steal away our resources.

Last edited:
China has more leverages with BD than myanmar. In every power project to construction projects chinese companies are bidding. They even bid in some of the blocks in Bay of Bengal. BD is the second largest buyer of Chinese defence equipment. BD import more than 3 billion dollar worth of product from china. Chinese companies invested heavily in BD. let alone HSBC bank one of the biggest in the country. China also throw free money on BD's development project. I dont think China will just throw away 30 years worth of investment on BD only because Myanmar waged a unwarranted war against BD which they destined to loose. Who wants to side with a looser? Chinese? They are smarter than that.

PS: current Chinese ambassador is a Dhaka University graduate. He was sent here 20 years ago only to be made the ambassador of BD 20 years later. Thats China.

Chinese are definitely smarter than that, but then War can always take dirty turns.

20 yrs? Are you kidding me? WHo makes such long term plans? :O
And what if he would have failed the tests? ;)

Can anybody comparison the army strength of two armies in regards of Armour, Infantry, air force and technology for me. Thanks

If BD muffs it with its only other neighbor, is India to blame ?

When india instigated Myanmar to adopt maritime claim and encroaching Bangladeshi territory, even to the level of lending language of claim then offcouse india to be blamed.

When india supply arms to Myanmar then sure indian to be blamed.

When indian supplied wargame simulation to Myanmar shows Bangladesh as aggressor then sure india to be blamed.

list goes on........

No its not diffused yet.They are trying to push in thousands of Rohingya into Bangladesh.Bangladesh have reinforced more troops.

About Indian media being silent,its simply business.Nothing is happening now,except stand off.When there will be a war,Indian media will jump into it like cheetah.You know,thats when the TRP increases.

You are absolutely right, Indian media is one of the worst one..and when the war will start they will invite some stupid guys to act as experts too

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom