What's new

BD navy submarines are at Chittagong port

Maybe but definitely not within 5 years time. BD has no budget for more modern sub and these sub are aiming at Myanmar rather than IN. Myanmar navy has no single submarine. It will gives BD an edge for them in many coming years.

But these will all changes if Myanmar buys submarine. They have one of the fastest growing economy and may have the money to buy sub.

My friend you may be surprised how much BD can afford these days.

BD economy is 230 billion US dollars and is growing at over 7% a year. With friendly repayment terms BD can afford to buy billions of dollars of Chinese arms over the next 5-10 years.

I think BD's next submarines will be 2 modern Chinese diesel submarines.

BD should now look towards discussing they buying of about 3-4 A-26 Submarines from Sweden that might be available after 2020. These subs will be good for training.

BD Navy operates any Sub previously?
OR it is new step towards submarines capability?

Not much is available at the moment. But gov. approved procurement of various types of equipment for Air force & Navy.

1. 2 more Type 56 B corvette, reportedly construction already started in China.

2. Two ASW helicopters for navy.Can be either AW 159 or China Z 9. Tender was fl
oated, result still to be published.

3. Medium multirole fighters for BAF. Can be Mig 29M/35 or J 10 A/B. A delegation reportedly was in China to talk with AVIC. Details are unclear at the moment.
i think procurement should be made by 2016-2020 fy Russian su30 mk2s two squadron ,17-18 fy Chinese J 10B one squadron. Then Chinese birds for Indian Rafale & Russian for Myanmer mig 29/JF 17.

### If BD want to effective this two submarine purchase, then they have to buy two more sub within 2020 & next two 2025, other two 2030 total 8 subs.

BD should now look towards discussing they buying of about 3-4 A-26 Submarines from Sweden that might be available after 2020. These subs will be good for training.

It is what they are chiefly for.

Though, it is very unlikely Sweden would be willing to supply us those submarines. Neither would it be beneficial for our interests. More advanced submarines from China is a very high possibility.

BD has no budget for more modern sub and these sub are aiming at Myanmar rather than IN

I think, your statement is a little misplaced. BN is certainly not an offensive navy. It has little teeth even with the sub purchase. But, you have to understand that the BN thinks IN as a potential threat to the country's trade and development. IN could have overwhelmed our surface fleet with superior power and surround our sea ports.

However, the equation quite changes when the BN possesses even only two under the surface subs. The subs can up to a certain extent deny the IN surface ships an entry/access to BD exclusive sea areas. Until now, we had very little power to resist any possible aggression in the sea.

For smaller economies, it more feasible just to buy off shelf rather than just produce in house. First,additional fee is required for ToT. so as the tools and factories to setup to manufacture. Plus the training for technician for manufacturing.

Japan AH-64 ToT from Boeing makes JMSDF Apache the world most expensive attack helo at USD 100million a piece with only 34 produced and stop production as the exorbitant high cost prevent the original 64 procured.
i was talking about in the long run,not short term

i was talking about in the long run,not short term
Its not feasible. How many submarine BD going to buy? A dozen? Why is it so difficult to accept not every countries is going to produce things themselves?

Unlikely, Swede's add too much strings to their defence exports. The BN are going to look for new subs from 2020, as standard they will opt for 2+2 (2 orders and 2 options). These will probably be Chinese S26/S20 derivatives as the Chinese give good finance terms.

Even when we buy new subs, they won't be delivered before 2025....

This is their first submarine.

Yes, thats why we bought these Mings, as they provide us the the cheapest way to build the infra/experience (4-8 year process). Once the BN is confident that all the required elements are in place for a submarine arm, they will place orders for new subs.

Its a step by step process....

1. Send BN sailors and officers to China and other countries to train.
2. Order refurbished subs and build the sub bases.
3. Spend the next 4-5 years learning sub warefare (we still need to fully map the seabed in the Bay of Bengal).
4. Order new build subs and support ships.

It is what they are chiefly for.

Though, it is very unlikely Sweden would be willing to supply us those submarines. Neither would it be beneficial for our interests. More advanced submarines from China is a very high possibility.
If you pay money then they will. Chinese tech is something which sounds good but it needs to prove its muscles on ground!

If you pay money then they will. Chinese tech is something which sounds good but it needs to prove its muscles on ground!

Well, I don't see how or since when the Swedes had proved their 'muscles' on the ground. What's special about them? The Swedes are strict in regards to their weapons export. I doubt if they'd supply us any offensive platforms. And very importantly, the Chinese are giving us a more 'sustainable' option which I doubt the Swedes can provide.

Heck, if they scare the Indians and the Burmese enough for them to think twice, then they should be sufficient. Both sides are fearful of submarines (one of whom doesn't even operate any).

Done already.

Doubt it (its a continous process), being one of the worlds largest deltas its constantly changing (sedimentary shifts) out to 200km from the shore. It is also very shallow 5m-20m in regions. Shallow banks make navigation difficult for large draught vessels and subs.....Unless you have really upto date hydro data (that will need updateing regularly).

mb_0361b.gif

coastal+water.jpg

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom