What's new

BBC Documentary:Last Lions of India

PARAS

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India

The Asiatic lion (Panthera leo persica) also known as the Indian lion, is a subspecies of lion. The only place in the wild where the lion is found is in the Gir Forest of Gujarat, India. In 2010, the Gujarat government reported that 411 Asiatic lions were sighted in the Gir forest; a rise of 52 over the last census of 2005.

The Asiatic lion is one of the five major big cats found in India, the others being the Bengal tiger, the Indian leopard, the snow leopard and clouded leopard. The Asiatic lions once ranged from the Mediterranean to the north-eastern parts of the Indian subcontinent, but excessive hunting, water pollution and decline in natural prey reduced their habitat. Historically, Asiatic lions were classified into three kinds – Bengal, Arabian and Persian lions. Asiatic lions are smaller and lighter than their African counterparts, but are equally aggressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
They seems to be cool with people and vehicles?

Let's hope their populations continue to recover. (And also hope that the increase in sightings aren't due to just more people being in the jungles).

Big cats of India

Royal Bengal Tiger
tiger-regal.jpg

Asiatic Lion
asiatic-lion.jpg

Indian Leopard
indian-leopard.jpg

Snow Leopard
1-snow-leopard.png

Clouded Leopard
1193971439.jpg

Only country in the world where all the three big cats (Lion,Tiger & leopard) are present.
In their Natural habitat...
We have snow leopards,tigers, lions, etc in their natural habitat...Not in zoo..

With climate change these cats are finding it more difficult to survive.

I hope the indian government will do everything necessary to protet these precious animals.

Its a shame that cheetah has become extinct in india,the country which named it.I believe there are some cheetahs in pakistan along with iran.But the remaining asiatic cheetahs dont seem to have a bright future.India shouldn't let such thing happen to other big cats.

Its a shame that cheetah has become extinct in india,the country which named it.I believe there are some cheetahs in pakistan along with iran.But the remaining asiatic cheetahs dont seem to have a bright future.India shouldn't let such thing happen to other big cats.

Cant india re introduce them into the wild??

Cant india re introduce them into the wild??

we can always do what china does...but u see...introducing species like tht is not natural, it can have unforced butterfly effects over time WRT the ecobalance of tht area..

and cheetas dont mingle well with larger cats.

INdia first needs to successfully raise the tiger populace to recommended levels before it can move forward

There was plans to re-introduce Cheetahs from Africa in Madhya Pradesh(some forest!). But, I doubt if any Cheetahs remain in Asia. even in Persia, they may have become extinct.

BTW, this is a very old video of Indian Cheetahs tamed and used for Hunting:

Cheetah ia back in India we have got some from Africa and taking care of them in wild life sanctuary in MP.

Some lions should be moved out of Gujrat into MP and other sanctuaries, keeping all lions in Gujrat is risky.
But Mr Modi will not listen to it due to his false pride.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom