What's new

Bangladeshi Army Chief on 6-day visit to Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malay is right.

There seems to be no gain for either party from this military alliance.

Bangladesh gets on the wrong side of India for no apparent gain. If Pakistan could not protect it in 1971 when it had troops there, what can it do now if a situation really arises?

And what would it contribute to the alliance? It doesn't have a strong military and is not going to have one for at least a few decades. It has a GDP of $ 70 billion, defence budget of $800 million, is the LDC in South Asia and is the lowest on the HDI score. It doesn't have any enemies and can do without looking for and creating ones.

There is no parallel to the WW-II scenario at all here. The scenario is very different.

There is simply no comparision between the situation that was then in 71 and the situation that is now. Also BD has nothing to gain from India either that it will loose from thinking the other way round. BD is an independent country and has the right to fully develop its relations with whatever country it deems fit and that includes military relations as well. Also it is not just Pakistan, BD is also keen to boost its relations with China, now India has a problem with that too, so BD isnt really left with too many options, either they accept the Indian dominance in the region and become a client state or perhaps tell India to mind her own business and while we would certainly like to keep our relations good and healthy with India, it does not mean, we will compromise them with other important countries in the region just because India doesnt feel right.

Malay is right.

Bangladesh gets on the wrong side of India for no apparent gain. If Pakistan could not protect it in 1971 when it had troops there, what can it do now if a situation really arises?

And what would it contribute to the alliance? It doesn't have a strong military and is not going to have one for at least a few decades. It has a GDP of $ 70 billion, defence budget of $800 million, is the LDC in South Asia and is the lowest on the HDI score. It doesn't have any enemies and can do without looking for and creating ones.

There is no parallel to the WW-II scenario at all here. The scenario is very different.

This is utter hypocrisy.

I have been advocating that BD raise its defence budget in line with GDP and to increase its military capabilities by engaging with China and Pakistan in cooperative ventures like missile and tank procurements and especially in air defence. On every occasion I have said this Indians have objected. Let BD decide on its own defence requirements and needs and lets see if it can be an effective partner to China and Pakistan. Without allowing BD to enhance its military capabilities India is shooting down the idea. India cannot decide these issue for BD.

Relax man.

Your government can take a considered decision if they want to. Its just a forum. The matters of the state are not decided here.

Or are they for Bangladesh! :lol:

It is only the Indians on this forum who consider it a matter of life and death otherwise why are there so many Indians flaming threads.

i don,t think bangladesh will accept india,s bullying

i don,t think bangladesh will accept india,s bullying

That's the bottom line, whether one likes it or not. Countries which are used to bullying tactics will find it increasingly difficult to do what they have been doing for the last fifty years. It's specially true for the Indo-Israeli-Anglo-American axis.

That's the bottom line, whether one likes it or not. Countries which are used to bullying tactics will find it increasingly difficult to do what they have been doing for the last fifty years. It's specially true for the Indo-Israeli-Anglo-American axis.

Very nicely put... :enjoy:

India is used to bullying smaller states and causing disorder within them. This is written in MB Munshis book very clearly. Bangladesh has been bullied by the Indians from the very beginning for their own gains.

Water supply to Bangladesh is controlled by Indians and they do not give early flood warning to people of Bangladesh. Your land disputes still exist as well.

India has used other nations and treated them very badly all for its own interests

Bear in mind, that India has fairly warm relations with BD now, and they are growing not lessening. Secondly, this would be a primarily anti-India alliance, is BD willing to consider an exactly same alliance with Myanmar against Bangladesh.

Well if you would read up on the Dual Alliance, you would see that the French and the Russians were tempted to change sides from time to time. They had many reasons for doing so too and the battle for allies and allegiances was quite fierce between the two rival factions before the actual war broke out. So just because a side had relations, doesn't mean they are not likely to choose the other group.

As to that part about BD relations with India improving, well I’m guessing that is a matter up for debate and if you don’t mind; I’d be a little more keen to listen to what the Bangladeshis have to say in this regard. I’m sure they will have a more impartial point of view about the Bangladesh’s inclinations given that it is their country. I didn’t get your last bit though, about BD willing to consider an alliance against Bangladesh.

From what i think, its a lose-lose situation for BD. They get bad publicity, their alliance is not with a country which is an industrial or economic powerhouse. Pakistan is in debt, and might default on loans, fighting terrorists in 2 provinces, with trouble on its Western border and the US undermining Pakistan's border.

You do not seem to have understood the dynamics of the Dual Alliance, the fact that Russia and France both felt like underdogs and were in great economic/military strains is exactly what compelled them to seek said alliance. Not that I agree with your causal dismissal of Pakistan’s potency on account of selective unrest in some sectors and its current economic disposition. Both these factors are subject to great fluency and fluctuation. There was also once a time when India was known as a failed state while Pakistan the pinnacle of modern economic development, needless to say times change. Also suggesting that the US is seriously contemplating itself as a threat along our western border would be blowing things out of proportion a bit.

There are many explanations for why Pakistan could not ‘protect’ Bangladesh, not least of which is that the people there were not on our side. The Pakistan Army was spread out in a classic counter-insurgency posture…commanders employed a thinly spread out disposition which was obviously not suited for defending against an invading army nearly 10 times their size. And the greatest reason of all, there was no political will even from West Pakistan to hold on to the East. All these reasons will not apply if BD was doing the defending herself against a genuine foe, and I’m sure whatever their short comings, the BD Army is still lot stronger than the 70,000 man “garrison” Pakistan had there in 71.

Now that’s not a very flattering view to have about your ‘friendly’ neighborhood country. If the Bangladeshis don’t like India, that’s up to them. But I do know that despite all what happened in 71, on average Bangladeshi people still prefer Pakistan over India (our BD friends please feel to correct me if I’m wrong). Besides the notion that “Bangladesh can’t think of fighting with us or allying with our enemy because we are just too strong for them” isn’t the most mature way to look at things. Particularly in light of the fact that the Dual Alliance was exactly the sort of thing designed to negate this helpless, satellite state status that France had come close to achieving after her crushing defeat at the hands of the Germans in 1871.

Now that the Indians have had their say, and elaborated on their perhaps un-shockingly not very enthusiastic takes at my idea. Might I suggest that we hear about what the Bangladeshis have to say? MBI Munshi I would most appreciate it if you could address me directly so we could do away with this circular bickering. I think this is a fascinating prospect, don’t you? Perhaps if not now then maybe in 10 years, or 20 even…anything is possible like Mister malaymishra123 so rightly said.

has the BD chief gone back to BD - i hope so!

Do you not consider every state surrounding us a pie at your disposal to be flung at our face?

My my... acting naive, are we?

If your "you" means USA, I'm firmly against its foreign policy, especially subverting/invading countries under the name of "democracy/freedom". Period.

At the same time, it is of same, if not more, ridicule should India consider BD as a piece of pie and tries to manipulate it willfully.

man...its not going interesting like before...

If your "you" means USA, I'm firmly against its foreign policy, especially subverting/invading countries under the name of "democracy/freedom". Period.

At the same time, it is of same, if not more, ridicule should India consider BD as a piece of pie and tries to manipulate it willfully.

You know what I mean by "you." Stop playing around.

Hint: CCP.

Malay is right.

Let it be clear. BD is free nation and it will make decison based on it's own interest. BD doesn't need indian permission to build up it armed force....You may not like it but it bound to happen.

You know what I mean by "you." Stop playing around.

Hint: CCP.

:lol:

Tell me which country that has land boundary with China is being bullied by China:

N. Korea
Russia
Mongol
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Azerbaijan
Afghanistan
Pakistan
India
Bhutan
Nepal
Burma
Laos
Vietnam

Hopefully it'd be greatly helpful for you to know that only India still has land dispute with China.

Don't tell us that China always picks on the weakest to bully and India is the weakest in the list. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom