What's new

Bangladesh will buy 5 warships from Britain.

And this is how it starts.

a. Bangladesh ears FOREX
b. Bangladesh buys Warships
c. Forex returns back to Bank of England
d. Maintenance services provide a continued line of revenue.

We have made all the mistakes and are learning from them... hope bangladesh does better.

I didn't know FOREX was earned just so it can sit in a bank account and look pretty. It's meant to be used, especially for trading items that are not readily available in Bangladesh, which are, at the moment, warships. I doubt the purchase would even dent Bangladesh's vast FOREX reserves.

Issue with most S.Asian countries isn’t just industrialization, it is infact lack of R&D. R&D requires constant flow of money into Higher level education and research institute. It’s hard to justify such spend when the first potential market (country armed forces or local businesses itself) jump to buy the exported toy instead of forcing local R&D and industry to catch up to established companies players in field.

China is a good example, 30 year ago they were building barely marginal stuff. Today, they are leading the world in research and development.

Bangladesh or Pakistan does not lack brains, and I am not comparing the two by the way.

Pakistan is of course ahead defence wise and science wise, but the fact remains if both countries made it easy for scientists to return and had them set up funded research like India did (whether by foreign company FDI or govt. itself) then none of our countries would be research starved as they are now.

Of course when Sanghis cry and boast about patents being produced in India, we all know its BS, because most of it is educational and theoretical garbage with no practical application anywhere.

@jamahir bhai was correct in pointing out that in last twenty years with all the IT Backoffice work and hundreds of Billions earned, India has no native OS they have developed, or even close to it. Nothing to show for so much TAA-LENT.

Indian Govt. has really not done much to help their school education system and even the larger university system. Why do people start leaving India as soon as they finish their MS and PhD education? No opportunity. Indian leaders have failed miserably in this regard and Indians aren't holding them accountable. Ditto in Pakistan and Bangladesh too.

When HP and Microsoft sets up research labs in India, these are proprietary company research produced using cheap Indian Ph.Ds. Otherwise they wouldn't go to India. For what Indian Ph.D.s make in India, they can easily make three times the salary in the West. This is pathetic when one realizes that countries in the subcontinent are the ones who need the researched products the most to help their populations, but the Govts. in our countries have no strategy to retain talent and pay them in well-funded programs at home.

So what we have left at home then - are these low-talent, low quality, low-achiever people with no exposure, who could not make the grade to make it to the West and are just too happy to have a useless govt. job. That is their auqaat fulfilled, eat daal and rice, squeeze out a few puppies and finish life.

I know this is definitely the case in Bangladesh. MSc. degree holders who can't write a clean paragraph of English.

I didn't know FOREX was earned just so it can sit in a bank account and look pretty. It's meant to be used, especially for trading items that are not readily available in Bangladesh, which are, at the moment, warships. I doubt the purchase would even dent Bangladesh's vast FOREX reserves.

The five warships would cost Bangladesh about UK Pound 2 Billion or about US$3 Billion. Count another Billion for infra upgrades (Drydock MBRE Etc.). This is a drop in the bucket as far as our reserves go but will go a long way in improving our Naval shipbuilding skills and capabilities. If we need to export warships someday (definite possibility) and count ourselves as an industrial nation capable of any heavy engineering to add to our arsenal of manufacturing skills, this is a step we MUST take.

All this countering this and that Navy is just jingoism and ultimately good for only lining our leaders' pockets. Ultimately we must take steps to be able to feed our people, of which we have too many of. That means not BUYING $HIT TO LINE OUR LEADERS' SWISS BANK ACCOUNTS, BUT LEARNING TO MAKE IT AT HOME so people can eat.

@jamahir bhai your thoughts.

If you ever land in Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul or Singapore, and see where they have come and where we need to go in the next twenty years, we'd stop talking about this Hindu/Muslim BS and concentrate/focus like a laser on industrialization.

Last edited:
Will Bangladesh be adding it's own anti-sub electronics and ECM ? Zions in UK certainly wont want to upset their Nazi Indian friends to give Bangladesh Navy any teeth.

View attachment 790792

Type 26

Type 31:-
View attachment 790793

@Michael Corleone bhai didn't we buy a networked war-fighting suite from some company. I am sure we will have the same or better version added to the new frigates.

At this time we aren't even sure these frigate will be added, could be fake news. LOL

Nice day-dreaming though.:lol:

Don't worry, you'll get your top of the line trainer very soon !
By the way does anybody know what is expected cost for each of these warships to be built by UK ?

I mentioned it - UK Pound 400 Million each if UK Govt. buys them. For Bangladesh with bribe it will of course be higher.

We are a country that has started to manufacture nuts and bolts only recently by a great company called WALTON. So, in the case of procurement of warships and infrastructure building we are following Pakistani examples.

No doubt, BD will be facing the same problems a few years ahead that Pakistan is facing now. The disease is "borrow foreign money and build". BD is unable to manufacture sewing machines. All are imported goods. I am happy that at last, we are producing nuts, bolts and, screws.

Not that bad thinking the past dismal records.

Walton manufacturing world quality nuts, bolts, and screws
3 || risingbd.com
Published: 02:54, 16 January 2018 Update: 15:18, 26 July 2020
Walton manufacturing world quality nuts, bolts and screws

@bluesky bhai, if they have to make appliances, they can't be importing nuts and bolts, they have to make their own.

BTW Walton does make their own consumer sewing machine and the motor that goes into those. I see in the future, they might invest in making industrial sewing machines too. Too many products in Bangladesh to supply (unmet needs). Give them some time.

iu

iu

Last edited:
Ok folks, here is what I speculate is happening:
  1. BN is ordering x number of Type 31 frigates upfront with option for additonal units.
  2. It will take years for the Type 31's to get laid. In the meantime, y number of used Type 23 frigates are being bought as stop gaps. This allows RN the opportunity to avoid having to sell expensive frigates for scrap while BN makes a quantum leap in warfighting capabilities overnight by inducting NATO standard system integrated, VLS and MRSAM equipped frigates. The HMS Kent visit to Chittagong was essentially a demo to BN by RN.
  3. Meanwhile BAF: :sleep:

Last edited:
  1. BN is ordering x number of Type 31 frigates upfront with option for additonal units.
  2. It will take years for the Type 31's to get laid. In the meantime, y number of used Type 21 frigates are being bought as stop gaps. This allows RN the opportunity to avoid having to sell expensive frigates for scrap while BN makes a quantum leap in warfighting capabilities overnight by inducting NATO standard system integrated, VLS and MRSAM equipped frigates. The HMS Kent visit to Chittagong was essentially a demo to BN by RN.

If we buy Type 21's - then they will only be good for cadet training, like those two USCG frigates.

Actually the USCG frigates are newer vintage and they were given for free to us essentially (we paid for refurbishment). :lol:

The turbine engines on the Type 21's are RR Tynes (Vickers Vanguard 1960's airliner) and the WWII-era technology Bristol Olympus (used in Concordes, early two spool turbojet). Maintenance nightmares I bet. I won't even mention fuel efficiency.

Good for the Royal Navy to fob off these junk heaps to our Navy instead of breaking them up (and earn a name that they "helped" us).

Who approves these decisions in Bangladesh govt. and should we even pay for these things?

My condolences and a huge waste of money in my opinion. Throwing good money after bad.

Pakistan retired half of their Type 21's (Tariq class) already. In another two years the rest will be gone too.

I think you might be making an error. It will be Type 23, not Type 21. Type 23's (after mid-life refits and BMRE) have some life left.

The Royal Navy is trying to decommission Type 23s at this time, not Type 21s.

HMS Kent which visited Chittagong a few weeks ago was a duke class Type 23 as well.

Type 21s (even Type 22's) have mostly been decommissioned and broken up already.

Last edited:
If it is indeed Babcock Iver design like Indonesian order, then BD needs to buy Naval H22M Helicopter. Indonesia Navy is also interested to buy several of them after we ordered 2 Type 31 frigates.

So 5 frigates means at least 5 Caracal. Heavy Maintenance and modification can be done in Indonesia Aerospace.

1636254522484.png

If we buy Type 21's - then they will only be good for cadet training, like those two USCG frigates.

Actually the USCG frigates are newer vintage and they were given for free to us essentially (we paid for refurbishment). :lol:

The turbine engines on the Type 21's are RR Tynes (Vickers Vanguard 1960's airliner) and the WWII-era technology Bristol Olympus (used in Concordes, early two spool turbojet). Maintenance nightmares I bet. I won't even mention fuel efficiency.

Good for the Royal Navy to fob off these junk heaps to our Navy instead of breaking them up (and earn a name that they "helped" us).

Who approves these decisions in Bangladesh govt. and should we even pay for these things?

My condolences and a huge waste of money in my opinion. Throwing good money after bad.

Pakistan retired half of their Type 21's (Tariq class) already. In another two years the rest will be gone too.

I think you might be making an error. It will be Type 23, not Type 21. Type 23's (after mid-life refits and BMRE) have some life left.

HMS Kent which visited Chittagong a few weeks ago was a duke class Type 23 as well.

Type 21s (even Type 22's) have mostly been decommissioned and broken up already.
Let us hope it is F23 for the BN. Some information from the internet source is below:

A total of 16 Type 23 vessels were built to date and the first of these was commissioned in 1990. The Type 23 Duke class frigates include HMS Norfolk (F230), HMS Argyle (F231), HMS Lancaster (F229), HMS Marlborough (F233), HMS Iron Duke (F234), HMS Monmouth (F235), HMS Montrose (F236), HMS Westminister (F237), HMS Northumberland (F238), HMS Richmond (F239), HMS Somerset (F82), HMS Grafton (F80), HMS Sutherland (F81), HMS Kent (F78), HMS Portland (F79), and HMS St Albans (F83).

The UK Ministry of Defence announced that the Type 23 fleet was to be reduced to 13 in July 2004. Batch 1 vessels, HMS Norfolk and Marlborough, were decommissioned in 2005 and Grafton in March 2006.

All three were sold to the Chilean Navy and delivered over 2007-2008. Grafton was renamed Almirante Lynch (FF-07), Marlborough to Almirante Condell (FF-06), and Norfolk to Almirante Cochrane (FF-05).

The base port of eight Type 23 frigates was changed to Plymouth and the remaining five will be based in Portsmouth.

If it is indeed Babcock Iver design like Indonesian order, then BD needs to buy Naval H22M Helicopter. Indonesia Navy is also interested to buy several of them after we ordered 2 Type 31 frigates.

So 5 frigates means at least 5 Caracal. Heavy Maintenance and modification can be done in Indonesia Aerospace.

View attachment 790859

Guessing that the missiles are Exocets on both sides. Good effective piece of kit.

2. It will take years for the Type 31's to get laid. In the meantime, y number of used Type 23 frigates are being bought as stop gaps. This allows RN the opportunity to avoid having to sell expensive frigates for scrap while BN makes a quantum leap in warfighting capabilities overnight by inducting NATO standard system integrated, VLS and MRSAM equipped frigates. The HMS Kent visit to Chittagong was essentially a demo to BN by RN.

Agree.

I think you meant Type 23 but we get it.

I like it!

Agree.

I think you meant Type 23 but we get it.

I like it!

You are correct, I meant Type 23 (Duke Class). HMS Kent, that visited Chittagong, is one of them.

There is no harm in obtaining Type-23's as stop gaps if they come cheap.

Yes, ideally we wouldn't want more junk but the reality is we are not commissioning new builds any time soon. Might as well use the time to get accustomed to advanced naval tech.

Guys, below is a 2018 news that says all the 13 units of F 23 Frigates have been replaced with new engines. Below is an excerpt from the internet:

"Originally designed with a service life of around 18 years, the RN’s Type 23 Frigates will now have to serve for around 30 years. All 13 frigates are undergoing life extension (LIFEX) refits and an important component of these upgrades is the Power Generation Machinery Upgrade (PGMU) to replace the ships’ four diesel generator sets".

1636256901316.png

The MTU 20V-4000 M53B Diesel Engine (Photo: Rolls Royce)

@jamahir bhai your thoughts.

You are right bhai. Unfortunately in South Asia education is just a means of getting a degree and getting into the middle class or perpetuating it, without using the many years of school and college life to actually learn somethings and benefit their local society and humanity in general. The worst of South Asian societies is India. If population actually being a potential pool of talent is an idea that is true then India with its 1.4 billion population should have become the fount of socio-economic, political and technological innovation. But it is not. A small population country like Libya ( native population about four million ) gave the world the Jamahiriya political concept but India did not despite Modi saying to an international leaders' audience earlier this year that India is the Vishwaguru ( Teacher to the world ). LOL. Of what ?

I will give examples of my two recent threads - the cyclorotor aircraft thread and the carbon-14 depleted radioactive battery thread. Despite the thousands of automobile, aerospace, material and electrical engineers and PhDs in India why weren't those two innovations brought out from India ? The so-called education system in South Asia is mainly for churning out graduates who will be employed in an economic and technological workplace environment where the original systems are developed by non-South Asians and when new systems are brought out - by non-South Asians - then South Asians will merely do post-graduate courses to "upskill" themselves and fit-in in the new system and of course continue the obsolete, anti-democratic, anti-human and anti-intellectual culture that has recently existed for the last seven decades.

Edit : I forgot to mention that at least in the space sector in India there are three promising private space companies where two are are building launch rockets ( ATM for small satellites to LEO ) and one is building a novel in-space engine that uses water as propellant.

---

@SMX 3.0, why the haha to Bilal bhai's post ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom