What's new

Bangladesh will buy 5 warships from Britain.

Details on Type 23 refits...

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/hms-northumberland/
China is BD biggest military partner in terms of acquisition of hardware. She is also the biggest partner in terms of loans and technical assistance for infastructure development. China BD relationship is deep, multifaceted and deep.

Bangladesh might want to look into purchases of Type 052B or 052C refurbished as an alternative, as PLAN is retiring some of those and they are roughly in the same weight class (a bit heavier but having a different class of weapons and having VLS missile options of many types).

Maybe brother @Shotgunner51 could graciously share his opinion and more details if possible.

I recall that the type 052B cost roughly $400 million to build in the early 2000's, so refurbished/refitted price maybe comparable to what we are planning to buy the Type 23 frigates for from RN, which are older and not as potent armament wise.

Type 052C would be the best choice IMHO.

Last edited:
Details on Type 23 refits...

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/hms-northumberland/

Bangladesh might want to look into purchases of Type 052B or 052C refurbished as an alternative, as PLAN is retiring some of those and they are roughly in the same weight class (a bit heavier but having a different class of weapons and having VLS missile options of many types).

Maybe brother @Shotgunner51 could graciously share his opinion and more details if possible.

I recall that the type 052B cost roughly $400 million to build in the early 2000's, so refurbished/refitted price maybe comparable to what we are planning to buy the Type 23 frigates for from RN, which are older and not as potent armament wise.

Type 052C would be the best choice IMHO.
You may be right in your assumption that BN will buy a few retired o52B/ 052C from China instead of buying frigates from the UK.

However, international diplomacy runs on reciprocity. UK imports a huge quantity of garments from BD every year. It needs to be reciprocated. So, this may turn into buying the 5 UK frigates.

- Now, about the purchase of MRCA planes. I have opened a thread on it and I was sure that BAF will buy Eurotyphoon planes.
- However, I am reading information that says, BAF may purchase Dassault Rafale built independently by France. Eurotyphoon was developed by a few countries including the UK. But, in the course of development, France went independent.
- From the internet source, "In 2019, Bangladesh exported $3.33B worth of goods to France". In 2021, the export volume may be much more than this.

It is very normal for France to expect reciprocity from BD. So, I would not be surprised if BAF buys Dassault Rafael from France (and not Eurotyphoon), and buys five frigates from the UK. This will balance everything.

People would say, IAF uses the same Rafael. But, a plane's internal electronics systems can be revised/ upturned to suit the BAF requirements. So, finally, Rafael's main platform may remain the same as the IAF's Rafael, but the internal systems can be quite different.

Anyway, I am doing some guessing works. But, please tell me if my thinking is illogical/ awkward.

To be honest this is not "most perfect".

Everyone was expecting all 6 frigates to be built in BD and to have only 2 now out of a total of 5 being built in BD is a massive disappointment.

I suspect that the reasons are rather less than a straight price:performance ratio and strategic calculation but more to do with the UK's substantial leverage with BD in terms of imports, BD disapora in UK, visa permits etc. that is the real reason for this decision. Brexit UK is pushing hard to tout for business wherever it is able to.

Turkey was the best choice to partner up with in order to procure the next-gen frigate programme and BD has just allowed itself less freedom of action as per it's naval doctrine by going with UK. Turkish frigates could have been used freely against both Myanmar and India.

I do not think this has anything to do with the frigate programme.

I really do believe it is an additional 5 ships. I do not believe these would be frigates either.

Nah I just want to to remain into your garbage forum subsection. You’re not welcome here but your shamelessness has no bounds

Sir, I'm not sure if you are still on this site post-ban, but that really hasn't been an option for them since last Saturday. Sorry that you guys have to deal with their BS now.

You may be right in your assumption that BN will buy a few retired o52B/ 052C from China instead of buying frigates from the UK.

However, international diplomacy runs on reciprocity. UK imports a huge quantity of garments from BD every year. It needs to be reciprocated. So, this may turn into buying the 5 UK frigates.

- Now, about the purchase of MRCA planes. I have opened a thread on it and I was sure that BAF will buy Eurotyphoon planes.
- However, I am reading information that says, BAF may purchase Dassault Rafale built independently by France. Eurotyphoon was developed by a few countries including the UK. But, in the course of development, France went independent.
- From the internet source, "In 2019, Bangladesh exported $3.33B worth of goods to France". In 2021, the export volume may be much more than this.

It is very normal for France to expect reciprocity from BD. So, I would not be surprised if BAF buys Dassault Rafael from France (and not Eurotyphoon), and buys five frigates from the UK. This will balance everything.

People would say, IAF uses the same Rafael. But, a plane's internal electronics systems can be revised/ upturned to suit the BAF requirements. So, finally, Rafael's main platform may remain the same as the IAF's Rafael, but the internal systems can be quite different.

Anyway, I am doing some guessing works. But, please tell me if my thinking is illogical/ awkward.

You are right on almost all counts. The only question is how far one can reconfigure the electronics (especially the IFF equipment) to counter anything the Indians have to defeat the system. Above all - Indians being familiar with the Rafale may know its weaknesses and achilles' heels as well. That is what worries me.

Maybe one of the Pakistani bhais experienced in this can comment, especially @Quwa bhai. Thanks in advance to him for shedding some light on this.

You are right on almost all counts. The only question is how far one can reconfigure the electronics (especially the IFF equipment) to counter anything the Indians have to defeat the system. Above all - Indians being familiar with the Rafale may know its weaknesses and achilles' heels as well. That is what worries me.

Maybe one of the Pakistani bhais experienced in this can comment, especially @Quwa bhai. Thanks in advance to him for shedding some light on this.
I am not an electrical engineer, so I know very little about the electronic gadgets in a plane.

However, I believe a design engineer can certainly redesign the system as per requirement of the customer. An electronic design is not something static, it is variable. An engineer can do anyway he likes to do. Anyway, it all depends upon how BAF wants the system to change.

By the way, what happens if BAF buys Eurotyphoon today and IAF buys it tomorrow. So, our logic is not valid.

Also., we are being kicked by Burma morning and evening everyday. We are unable to tackle that country, but many guys talk about fighting India.

It is more than absurdity unless India attacks us. In that case, BD people and its terrain will fight without even jet fighters. So, we should not lose our sight. Ten India together cannot defeat BD people.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom