What's new

Bangladesh will buy 5 warships from Britain.

Both Myanmar and Bangladesh are allies of China and both are supporting China to kick India out of Bay of Bengal.

LOL You Hindus are truly delusional which is good.

we are happy bangalis are progressing .

Interesting.

Bangladesh to buy 5 naval ships from UK
Says foreign minister

Sun Nov 7, 2021 12:00 AM

Bangladesh will buy five naval ships from the UK to modernise the armed forces as part of the Forces Goal 2030 as the country aspires to become a developed nation by 2041.
"We have decided in principle to buy five naval ships. The objectives of this purchase is to monitor and protect our huge sea frontiers from others who enter our territories for fishing or other purposes," Foreign Minister AK Abdul Momen told this correspondent from London yesterday.

The issue was discussed at a bilateral meeting between Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and her UK counterpart Boris Johnson on the sidelines of COP26 in Glasgow on Wednesday.
The British premier proposed selling other defence equipment, including aircraft, said Momen.

"The negotiation went on for a long time. This time, we agreed in principle to buy five naval ships. Three of those will be imported from the UK and the two others will be built in our dockyard in Chattogram."
The minister said the final deal on the procurement is yet to be signed. "Our Ministry of Defence will be working on it. We will surely buy the ships at a competitive price."
The development comes at a time when the Indo-Pacific region is drawing more global attention.

There is already the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, known as the QUAD, a strategic dialogue between the United States, India, Japan and Australia, which analysts say is aimed at countering China.
Moreover, Australia, the United Kingdom and the United States announced on September 15 a security pact called AUKUS for the Indo-Pacific region. Under the pact, the US and the UK will help Australia acquire nuclear-powered submarines.
Momen said Bangladesh and the UK have a solid relationship which is growing day by day -- be it in the areas of development, trade and politics.

Earlier on October 14, Type 23 frigate HMS Kent of the UK's Carrier Strike Group deployment (CSG21) sailed to the naval base in Chattogram marking the celebration of Bangladesh's Golden Jubilee of independence and highlighting the historic bilateral defence connections and people-to-people relationship between the UK and Bangladesh.

HMS Kent engaged in a series of events with the Bangladesh Navy and the local administration in Chattogram to maximise bilateral relations benefitting both countries' military, trade, and political alliances.
"This year, with the spirit of Brit Bangla Bondhon, the UK is demonstrating the depth and significance of UK-Bangla ties through its commitment to engage more with Bangladesh as a partner of sustainable peace and growth," the UK High Commission in Dhaka said in a statement on October 18.

British High Commissioner Robert Chatterton Dickson said the welcoming of the frigate builds on a long history of defence cooperation that the UK is extremely proud of.
"We are committed to deepening our cooperation as a key part of the enduring relationship between our two countries."
According to the statement, a significant number of Bangladesh Navy personnel have trained alongside the Royal Navy in the UK, including at the Royal College of Defence Studies.

5 is an odd number, I thought we were looking to get 6 frigates?

One thing is very interesting, I haven't so far seen anybody talking about UK origin warships for the navy, I heard about Chinese, Turkish and even Italian/French. Govt did a good job keeping everything secret. Internet speculators were caught totally off guard.

Bangladesh doesn't hate Burma. We never had much of a relationship with them to love or hate them. It's only recently the Burmese freaks started the Rohingya issue.
Is it necessary for BD to hate Burma? The reality is Burma hates Bangladesh long before the Rohingya issue surfaced.

Rohingyas were pushed in only because Burma knows the GoB is unable to challenge it. There are quite a few historical events of enmity that Burma does not cherish.

The last but one is the pushing back of Burmese troops to the other side of the Naaf river during the time when Ayub Khan was the President of Pakistan in 1963 (?).

Before that, the Burmese troops were garrisoned on the Teknaf side during the British period. Burma waited 40 years to take revenge by sending Rohingya when the country was ruled by a weak one-party govt.

Last edited:
Stopgap has a different meaning than you have implied. Please consult the Dictionary.

stopgap

noun

/ˈstɒpɡæp/

/ˈstɑːpɡæp/

1. something that you use or do for a short time while you are looking for something better
    • The arrangement was only intended as a stopgap.

"something that you use or do for a short time..." = buy Type 23's which will serve for around a decade.

"...while you are looking for something better." = Newly laid Type 31's

Last edited:
"something that you use or do for a short time..." = buy Type 23's which will serve for around a decade.
You must have a comprehensive problem of English. Read the bold part. Is BD buying the frigates for only a short period and then big ships will be bought? And these 5 frigates are in between?

You must have a comprehensive problem of English. Read the bold part. Is BD buying the frigates for only a short period and then big ships will be bought? And these 5 frigates are in between?
Bhai amar e maaf koren. Ami bolod, ami bhabsi 10 bochor short period relative to typical design life of frigates (40+). Sorry for using maths.
I need to industrialise my brain.

Bhai amar e maaf koren. Ami bolod, ami bhabsi 10 bochor short period relative to typical design life of frigates (40+). Sorry for using maths.

Also you must produce some sewing needles and nut and bolts first before commenting on frigates.

I have read people using the same expression, "Stopgap" for our F-7BG/ BGI planes as if BD is sooooo rich that after inducting MRCAs, BAF will discard them to the junkyard as America does when PAF still uses the older PGs and IAF is still using Mig 21, the predecessor of F-7.

Stopgap exactly means a temporary use. BN is certainly not purchasing the British frigates for the purpose of a stopgap. These will be our mainstay warships for long-term uses until their longevity expires.

Bangladesh hates Burma...
China is friendly to Burma and China Bengal relationship is neutral at best

China is BD biggest military partner in terms of acquisition of hardware. She is also the biggest partner in terms of loans and technical assistance for infastructure development. China BD relationship is deep, multifaceted and deep.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom