What's new

Bangladesh wants Bangla as an official UN language: Sheikh Hasina

^ punjabi in pakistan and india together are more in number than bengalis and punjabi is far richer in literary value than bengali. many movies are made on punjabi stories. no offence to anybody.

there are 88 million native speakers of the Punjabi language, which makes it approximately the 10th most widely spoken language in the world.

there are 88 million native speakers of the Punjabi language, which makes it approximately the 10th most widely spoken language in the world.

There are 300 million native speakers of Bengali language making it the 6th most widely spoken language!! BTW Bengali is far richer than punjabi and the richest in the sub continent, just Google it!!

On topic, I think there are many reasons that Bengali can be the next official language of UN!! Bangladesh already has a positive image cause of the peace keeping missions for UN!! Besides, Bengali is one of the most widely spoken languages, even more than some official languages!!

stop whining bangla is not an influenced language in world stage

or neither punjabi just because some hot headed sardars speaks it

chill

hindi is getting punjabicised.. in next decade hindi will be a dialect of punjabi. dont go on about literature. punjabi is very poetic and rich language. a desi will more probably sung and talk in punjabi rather than in bangla. other than bengalis noone consider bengali as anything. didnt wanted to burst your bubble but had to correct

There are 300 million native speakers of Bengali language making it the 6th most widely spoken language!! BTW Bengali is far richer than punjabi and the richest in the sub continent, just Google it!!

On topic, I think there are many reasons that Bengali can be the next official language of UN!! Bangladesh already has a positive image cause of the peace keeping missions for UN!! Besides, Bengali is one of the most widely spoken languages, even more than some official languages!!

Bangladeshis and Mexicans have so many things in common. both put -o (Shresto, Kendro vs Franco, Amigo etc.) in the last of every word and same other reputation in the world. :azn:

anyways its a good move by the bangladeshi government. at least they are proud of their language. here in india everyone tries to speak in english to show off.

hindi is getting punjabicised.. in next decade hindi will be a dialect of punjabi. dont go on about literature. punjabi is very poetic and rich language. a desi will more probably sung and talk in punjabi rather than in bangla. other than bengalis noone consider bengali as anything. didnt wanted to burst your bubble but had to correct

Dude, Rabindranath Tagore was awarded nobel prize for his Bengali poetry, no other sub continent language has this honor!! Besides, thousands of Bengali poems, songs and novels have been translated into many foreign languages!! I know Punjabis are very much affectionate towards their culture and language but you gotta admit, Bengali is the richest language in the sub continent by far!!

I studied in english medium school but I can speak fluently in my mother tongue and very proud of it. But in
most cases you will find people bragging in english or trying to speak in english even if they don't know a **** about english. All
University text books are in english which makes it very hard for bengali medium students to initially adapt to university life. I think
we should first make bengali very appealing to our youth and then talk about making it an UN language. And the most disgusting part is when I find some morons trying to speak in hindi. The BPL opening ceremony is a bright example of how much BAL gov respects the mother tongue.

It doesn't make sense that French and Spanish are UN languages in 2012.

Mandarin and Hindi would be far better suited in place of French and Spanish based on the sheer number of speakers.

But then, what do you expect from an organisation where a country like India is not even a permanent member.

UN needs reforms, big time.
Many of the south american countries speak Spanish, and many former French colonies in Africa speak French. Hindi and Chinese Mandarin are limited to their respective regions.

Bangladesh itself encompasses an area that is only a 2/3rd of the former British Indian Province of Bengal. It is so tiny and this language certainly lacks credibility of becoming a UN official language. SH wants only to divert people's eyes from the country's internal problems by uttering a stupid proposal like this. She brings only shame to the country.

@ Why Sk Hasina is shamelessly shouting alone to make Bengali as UN language ? Yes to some extend I agree that Bengali is being spoken by 250 to 300 million people, so what ? But it is limited to Bangladesh and West Bengal. Even for last 25 years non of the Pakistani learned Bengali in the true sense but by this times many of us learned urdu.

@ I have a serious doubt that even India will not support us in this respect.

@ Why Sk Hasina is shamelessly shouting alone to make Bengali as UN language ? Yes to some extend I agree that Bengali is being spoken by 250 to 300 million people, so what ? But it is limited to Bangladesh and West Bengal. Even for last 25 years non of the Pakistani learned Bengali in the true sense but by this times many of us learned urdu.

@ I have a serious doubt that even India will not support us in this respect.

As an Indian I fully support BD.

Back
Top Bottom