What's new

Bangladesh urges Pakistan apology for 1971 ‘crimes’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Islamabad remark 'misconstrued': Pakistan HC

Wed, Jun 10th, 2009 7:52 pm BdST

Dial 2324 from your mobile for latest news
Dhaka, June 10 (bdnews24.com)—A comment by a Pakistan foreign officer that war crimes trials in Bangladesh may lead to a straining of relations between the countries was "misconstrued", the high commission in Dhaka said in a statement on Wednesday.

An additional secretary to Pakistan's foreign ministry, Masood Khalil, told visiting Bangladeshi media in Islamabad on June 6 that Pakistan's relations with Bangladesh might "cast a shadow" if Dhaka went ahead with the trials.

"We hope nothing will be done to create a slow down in our relations," Masood had said, when asked to comment on Dhaka's latest move to try the crimes against humanity during the 1971 war of independence from Pakistan.

The comment caused concern in Bangladesh. Law minister Shafiq Ahmed has said it violated norms of international relations.

The Pakistani high commission in its statement Wednesday said: "Remarks attributed to an official of the Pakistan foreign ministry have evidently been misconstrued and quoted out of context."

It also said: "Pakistan enjoys good, friendly and brotherly relations with Bangladesh.

"It is determined to further strengthen these relations on the basis of equality, mutual respect, mutual benefit and non-interference in each other's internal affairs."

Foreign minister Dipu Moni had told parliament just the previous day that the government would not tolerate any country's "interference" in the trial of war criminals.

She also said Bangladesh's relations with any country would "not influence" the trials.

Islamabad remark 'misconstrued': Pakistan HC :: Politics :: bdnews24.com ::

i am so dissappointed to read the posts of some Pakistani and Bangladeshi members.
Let forget the past as we did and we would always look for brotherly relations with Bangladesh. Many Bangladeshis are working in Pakistan (many have burgers and pans shops here) and we give them due respect from our hearts and never treat them differently.
Don't stuck in the net made by Indians and India supported BD govt. We like and love you all from our hearts. I have not seen anyone here in Pakistan who consider Bangladesh as an opponent to Pakistan.

This whole thing is staging by Awami stooge and their master in India. General Pervez Musharraf already said sorry in Bd soil about the 71 and that was enough to move forward yet awami and it's anti-Pakistan elements are moving toward to cut off all diplomatic relation with Pakistan. I am sure India enjoying the whole thing as it desire unfriendly relation between pak-bangla.

Bangladesh will be the loser if Pakistan withdrew it's support as India will dominate and our sovereignty as a Muslim nation will go down the drain.

General Musharraf said it as head of the state thus it also reflect the opinion of Pakistan and Pakistani otherwise his statement would have been rejected by the people of Pakistan.

Date : 2002-07-31
Musharraf says once again, Sorry - for 71 calamitous events
The Independent - Bangladesh

Pakistan President General Pervez Musharraf once again said "sorry" for the "calamitous events" that occurred during the 1971 Bangladesh liberation war as old wounds reopened during his visit, reports UNB.

"We feel sorry for the tragedy which left deep scars on both our nations. But wounds do heal with time," said General Musharraf in his speech at a dinner hosted by Prime Minister Khaleda Zia at the Bangladesh-China Friendship Conference Centre last night.

He said: " My brothers and sisters in Pakistan share with their fellow brothers and sisters of Bangladesh profound grief over the calamitous events of 1971."

"As a result of this tragedy, a family having common religious and cultural heritage and united by a joint struggle for independence and shared vision of the future was torn apart," General Musharraf said.

During the last 30 years, he noted, the relations between the two brotherly nations have come a long way. The sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Bangladesh are close to the heart of the Pakistanis, he said

. General Musharraf told the function that Pakistan looked forward to meaningful understanding and friendship with Bangladesh for a "strong South Asia". This relationship will also act as catalyst to promote peace and prosperity in the region.

"We shall always stand by our Bangladeshi sisters and brothers… Time has come to build brotherly trust and confidence and lay down the foundation of mighty pillar of friendship so that our future generations take pride in what we accomplished today and the painful memories of the past don’t haunt them any more."

As he finished, Begum Zia responded: "Thank you, Mr. President, for your candid expression on the events of 1971. This will, no doubt, help mitigate the old wounds."

The Prime Minister further said: "We like to look forward and work together as brothers for a bright prospect tomorrow."

The Pak President, while paying tributes to the Bangladesh Liberation War martyrs at the National Mausoleum on his arrival in Dhaka Monday, regretted the "excesses" committed during the 1971 war.

"Your brothers and sisters in Pakistan share the pain of the event of 1971," he wrote in the visitor’s book at the National Mausoleum after laying wreaths in pay homage to the martyrs.
Musharraf says once again, Sorry - for 71 calamitous events

Last edited:
I have said this before and will say it again. If the purpose is to bring closure to the victims of the 1971 tragedy, then the way forward is to have a Truth and Reconciliation commission set up that takes the cases of abuses on each side. This will allow the perpetrators to come forward and admit their wrongs (those who are still alive) and the victims to forgive and move on.

As the Pakistani leadership has already apologized for the wrongs, anything beyond the above mentioned would be unacceptable and will run into massive problems which the current BD government cannot surmount as there is no global support or pressure to go down this path for Pakistan.

Bangladeshis have to consider the above and do what they must. If they insist then obviously relations will suffer (which may make the GoI and Indian supporters in BD happy), however life goes on for Pakistan and Pakistanis. I hope better sense and judgment prevails and BD and Pakistan can take their relations to new levels with more trade, travel and cooperation, God willing without going down the path of recriminations.

I have said this before and will say it again. If the purpose is to bring closure to the victims of the 1971 tragedy, then the way forward is to have a Truth and Reconciliation commission set up that takes the cases of abuses on each side. This will allow the perpetrators to come forward and admit their wrongs (those who are still alive) and the victims to forgive and move on.

As the Pakistani leadership has already apologized for the wrongs, anything beyond the above mentioned would be unacceptable and will run into massive problems which the current BD government cannot surmount as there is no global support or pressure to go down this path for Pakistan.

Bangladeshis have to consider the above and do what they must. If they insist then obviously relations will suffer (which may make the GoI and Indian supporters in BD happy), however life goes on for Pakistan and Pakistanis. I hope better sense and judgment prevails and BD and Pakistan can take their relations to new levels with more trade, travel and cooperation, God willing without going down the path of recriminations.

Well she also seconded your thought as I saw her interview in the TV. She was mentioning, there are only few remaining discord left over with Pakistan and BD wants to close the chapter and move forward. The biggest issue of Pakistani repatriation is almost comes to an end as the largest amount of stranded Pakistani took the citizenship of Bangaldesh. Few remained who do want to go back and need to be repatriated. The war crime issue is another one which also needs to be addressed by BD govt and will be and most probably will apply only to Bangladeshis. And Pakistan needs to show a formal apology (according to the tripatriate agreement of 1974). These are no big issue and can be addressed by Pakistan if there is a good will prevail within current PK govt. Asset sharing issue is no more an issue as compared to the current Economy of both the country and BD can live without that. I think there were a claim of 500 mln to 1bln dollar that time.

And Pakistan needs to show a formal apology (according to the tripatriate agreement of 1974).

What's the requirement for formal apology assuming the fact that general Musharraf's statement wasn't enough?

And
Should Bangladesh also seek apology to people of Pakistan for behalf of Mukti and their collaborator that killed west Pakistanis? If not than why not?

Well she also seconded your thought as I saw her interview in the TV. She was mentioning, there are only few remaining discord left over with Pakistan and BD wants to close the chapter and move forward. The biggest issue of Pakistani repatriation is almost comes to an end as the largest amount of stranded Pakistani took the citizenship of Bangaldesh. Few remained who do want to go back and need to be repatriated. The war crime issue is another one which also needs to be addressed by BD govt and will be and most probably will apply only to Bangladeshis. And Pakistan needs to show a formal apology (according to the tripatriate agreement of 1974). These are no big issue and can be addressed by Pakistan if there is a good will prevail within current PK govt. Asset sharing issue is no more an issue as compared to the current Economy of both the country and BD can live without that. I think there were a claim of 500 mln to 1bln dollar that time.

What would the "formal" apology look like? Is Musharraf's apology on behalf of the entire Pakistani nation not sufficient? Please realize that those who perpetrated the excesses on each side are no longer around or running the show in either of the countries. Beyond the recent apology from Pakistan (made by no less than the President of Pakistan), I am not sure what else the new generation of Pakistanis can do? The fact that most Pakistanis consider Bangladeshis as their brothers is a reason enough for people on the BD side to realize that this acrimony has to be put behind. If you rub the past too much then the same old dirt comes up and we go in circles.

For BDs, their vindication is in the fact that they have survived as an independent Country and are working hard to prosper. We hope to do the same in Pakistan while not burdening each other. Lets look forward and not backward.

What would the "formal" apology look like? Is Musharraf's apology on behalf of the entire Pakistani nation not sufficient? .

I am also not sure. May be something like official. May be a resolution passed in PK parliament which followed by subsequent law.

This way nothing will be good enough. First its acknowledgment, then its apology, then it’s a 'formal' apology, then some kind of compensation. I think it would be a bad idea giving in to these factually nonsensical and impulsive demands. Best thing to do is ignore them and hope Bangladeshis think better of it…

I would think something coming from the President of Pakistan on an official visit to BD would be pretty much the same thing. Not sure how this whole thing can turn into a law?

This way nothing will be good enough. First its acknowledgment, then its apology, then it’s a 'formal' apology, then some kind of compensation. I think it would be a bad idea giving in to these factually nonsensical and impulsive demands. Best thing to do is ignore them and hope Bangladeshis think better of it…

I agree. Just trying to understand where this is going. I would think an apology from the President of Pakistan, on an official visit, on behalf of the entire Pakistani nation would suffice. We certainly are not asking for anything even though we too suffered.

Compensation??? Huh, you never saw those proud people or those who lost their dear ones and faught for Bangladesh. They will rather die before take compensation from Pakistan.

Compensation??? Huh, you never saw those proud people or those who lost their dear ones and faught for Bangladesh. They will rather die before take compensation from Pakistan.

That is good. So then where is this going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom