What's new

Bangladesh to Demand Apology from Pakistan

in my view there is nothing wrong in apology from bangalies ....
and both countries should bury the hatchet and look for future ..
what is by gone is by gone we can,t bring it back...
lets leave it for Allah to decide about past cos HE knows better ..
we both are muslim countries and with great similarities . we should work together and make union like EU countries ...
i wish we again live like brothers ..
i lived in international hostel and my best friend was from bangladesh and really there was no difference among us all bangladeshies and paksitanies were like brothers ..... in those days we came to conclusion that these were and are politions who played and plays with our emotions other wise common people were and are like brothers .....................

Thats the problem in BD, too many hardcore party supporters who only see the nation through the lens of their respective political parties...But the younger generations are much more open minded and hopefully BD will be able to progress with such enthuisiastic youth without being hampered by the family saga known as BD politics.:tup:

dear i really love bangladesh and will visit soon on my friends wedding ...
common people are same ....differenc rises when some people with vested interests plays with our sentiments especially racial and ethnic......

^ I also got very much similarity between PK and BD which is unlike to Indian style.

In our rock bands, drama, films, TV channels, our poor politics, and many in cultures like marriage and religious functions.

Welcome to the forum mate.... Your question is very simplistic and naive.
As said earlier our former president had already apologized durring his visit to BD. The question arises why again??? and why after 40 years??? Didn't we have high tides in Pak-Bangla relations??? If yes then why stooping low again???

Now putting all those questions into the bin, even if they mean something, the most important question which I wanna ask you is that, what is there for Pakistan to gain from the whole move??
We moved on long long ago, accepted you as an independent and brotherly nation. We Developed,
diplomatic,commercial,military,social,cultural and economic ties with you, then why in the middle the fuss again?? And why is it a periodic fever that reoccurs at some specific moments??

Is Pakistan dependent for something on Bangladesh, for which it needs to kneel down every now and then?? Honestly speaking, Nopes and for Nothing.Well then, if that is the case don't you think someone is asking an absurd demand?

Now look at another aspect, if our relations move to cold storage as in the current AL regime, and continues to be kept in their for a long long time, whose gonna suffer more?? Think logically, I am not calming Pakistan to be another Super Power, but certainly to high degree Bangladesh can benefit from of its fields of expertise, which other wise is loss for no justifiable reason!

Now regarding Pakistan Image, it wont get a bit better by re-apologizing to BD in the comity of nations.Its absolutely a dud case for us and the rest of the world. However if it can heal the hearts of our Bangladeshi brothers, in any away, I would fully welcome such a move.
Thing for you to ponder upon as a Bangladeshi is, wither or not AL is doing it for the cause and people of Bangladesh or is it the core of its domestic politics,,, If it is then sorry sir, you are asking us too much,. You are simply stepping on our Integrity for the sake domestic politics.....And that we wont allow at any cost!!

:pakistan:

Adios

Apologizing is not the same as kneeling. Asian countries have this major ego issue - even the Japs are so reluctant to apologize for their excesses in WW-2 but the Germans do so quite often - it doesn't mean Germany kneels and it doesn't lower any country's self-esteem to say sorry. I would prefer it if India actually apologized for its excesses in Sri Lanka during the IPKF years.

Hi, I'm new to the forum although I have been stalking it for some time now lol.

Anyways, I have a question directed at Pakistani members;

If there is some sort of official apology to the Bangladeshi people, what does Pakistan have to lose? From my POV it seems as though Pakistan has everything to gain from doing so. Similar to what Rudd did here in Aus. with the stolen generations.

I think doing something similar to this could do wonders for Pakistan's ailing global image aswell and also remove alot of the hate in some Bangladeshi's.

Welcome to the forum and I invite you to stick around.
What kind of applogy would make you happy?

This has been said by former president of Pakistan Pervez Musharaff in Bangladesh. To me it is more than enough to move on but why some of you are so suck up in past is beyond me.

Now if you are seeking some thing to be done in Pakistan parliament then Bangladesh also need to be doing something similar in Bangladesh parliament. Let us be realistic and reasonable.

Pervez Musharraf.
"Your brothers and sisters in Pakistan share the pain of the events of 1971. The excesses during that unfortunate period are regrettable. Let us bury the past in a spirit of magnanimity. Let not the light of the future be dimmed. Let us move forward together. I am confident that with our joint resolve Pakistan-Bangladesh friendship will flourish in the years to come."

Begum Khaleda Zia
"Thank you, Mr. President, for your candid expression on the events of 1971. This will, no doubt, help mitigate the old wounds."

Now look at another aspect, if our relations move to cold storage as in the current AL regime, and continues to be kept in their for a long long time, whose gonna suffer more??

Pakistani high commissioner in Dhaka must have grown some really thick skin otherwise these guy could not have survived Al bickering. Some time I wonder, why the hell????? :undecided:

It is the Pakistan Parliament that needs to pass a resolution mandating the Head OF State or Government to formally apologise to Bangladesh. BD Parliament does not have to apologize, because this country did not send any troops to the west to kill the innocent civilians there.

^ Problem was here, so troops came here.

Bangladesh, Pakistan plan PM level talks

Bangladesh, Pakistan plan PM level talks

2010-11-02 13:20:00

Dhaka, Nov 2 (IANS) Bangladesh and Pakistan have agreed to give 'fresh impetus' to their bilateral relationship and planned a prime ministerial-level dialogue by the end of 2011.

The foreign ministers of the two neighbours will meet in the next six months and their prime ministers by the end of next year, it was decided at an official-level talk in Islamabad, The Daily Star newspaper said Tuesday.

A commitment to give 'fresh impetus' to the bilateral relations was made during the fifth round of consultation Monday between Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes and his Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir, the paper said.

The last consultation was held in Dhaka in 2007, when an un-elected caretaker government was in office here.

During the three-hour discussion Monday, the two sides reviewed bilateral relations over a range of issues, including politics, economy and trade, defence, cultural and educational ties.

Bangladesh was carved out of Pakistan after a bloody freedom struggle in 1971. Pakistan recognised the new nation in 1974 and diplomatic ties were established in 1975.

However, relations have been uneasy between the two countries. Pakistan's former president Pervez Musharraf visited Bangladesh once, but no Bangladeshi head of state has visited Islamabad so far.

The Daily Star quoting foreign office sources here said Islamabad did not officially comment on Bangladesh's long-pending demands of Pakistan's apology for the 1971 genocide, repatriation of stranded Pakistanis and sharing of assets.

Last edited:
It is the Pakistan Parliament that needs to pass a resolution mandating the Head OF State or Government to formally apologise to Bangladesh. BD Parliament does not have to apologize, because this country did not send any troops to the west to kill the innocent civilians there.

Why should we apologize? We're no dog that we should roll over every now and then whenever your gov tells us to.

If Musharraf already apologized on our behalf then i don't see why this issue is still being dragged on. Very immature of your gov to bring this up over and over again. I sometimes wonder why we have any relations with BD:tdown:.

No promises from Pakistan

Wednesday, November 3, 2010
NO PROMISES FROM PAKISTAN
Meeting of foreign secys stalls on
genocide apology, stranded
Pakistani repatriation, asset sharing

Diplomatic CorrespondentPakistan once again avoided making any commitment to resolve long outstanding issues with Bangladesh, including apology for the 1971 genocide, repatriation of stranded Pakistanis, and sharing of pre-separation period state assets.

Since independence, Bangladesh has been asking Pakistan to resolve the issues which also include transfer of foreign aid that was meant for cyclone victims of 1970, and payment of war reparations. But all successive Pakistani governments, including the present one, have completely ignored the request, except repatriation of a small number of stranded Pakistanis.

Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes raised the issues again at the 5th round of Bangladesh-Pakistan Bilateral Consultations held in Islamabad on Monday. But conveying their position on the issues, Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir said "they remain open to continue discussion on these at all levels".

Diplomatic sources said Pakistan officials' assurances since independence are merely rhetorical. They did not take any initiative to resolve the issues. Full diplomatic ties between the two countries were established in 1976.

However, on Bangladesh's request, Pakistan agreed at the meeting to provide access to information and database particularly on geological surveys and archaeological excavations conducted by Pakistani agencies before 1971 in Mainamati, Chittagong, etc.

Mijarul led a seven-member Bangladesh delegation at the foreign secretary level consultations, which covered the entire range of bilateral relations.

Bangladesh High Commission in Islamabad, which issued a media release yesterday about the outcome of the consultations, however said the two sides agreed to give fresh thrust to promoting bilateral relations, and Pakistan suggested moving towards a comprehensive partnership.

Both sides recognised that there is an abundance of goodwill and potential for further development of relations. Pakistan agreed to the proposal of the Bangladesh foreign secretary for holding regular directors general level bi-annual meetings of the two foreign ministries.

They agreed to redouble efforts to achieve US$1 billion target set for bilateral trade, and to address the issues of market access, trade facilitation, and removal of tariff barriers for export of Bangladeshi products to Pakistan.

Bangladesh specifically sought duty free market access for value added jute products, and urged Pakistan to review its sensitive list. But there was no specific word from Pakistan regarding duty free access.

Both sides agreed on the need for easing visa procedures, and for enhancing connectivity through direct shipping and increasing the number of flights between the two countries.

Pakistan foreign secretary welcomed Bangladesh's proposal for undertaking joint initiatives to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Bangla poet Rabindranath Tagore, and the 100th birth anniversary of Urdu poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

Pakistan foreign secretary welcomed Bangladesh's proposal for undertaking joint initiatives to celebrate the 150th birth anniversary of Bangla poet Rabindranath Tagore, and the 100th birth anniversary of Urdu poet Faiz Ahmed Faiz.

What the hell is this Bullshit. Why Tagore dammit. He is neither were a east Pakistani nor a Bangladeshi. We should celebrate birth anniversary of Najrul Islam instead of Tagore. :hitwall:

Now I welcome the celebration of Faiz Ahmed Faiz. He wrote this poem upon return from Dhaka, Bangladesh, after the partition of East and West Pakistan, 1972. :tup:

hum ke Thairey ajnabi itni madaraatooN ke baad
phir banain gaiN aashnaa kitni mulaqatooN ke baad

Kab nazar maiN aaey ge bai_daGh sabzey ki bahar
Khoon ke dhabbey dhulain gaiN kitni barsaatooN ke baad

dil to chaaha par shikasht-e-dil nay muhlat he na di
kuch giley shikvey bhi kar laitey manajaatooN ke baad

thay buhat bai_dard lamhey Khatm-e-dard-e-ishq ke
theeN buhat bai_mehar subhaiN meherbaaN raatooN ke baad

un se jo kehney gaey thai "faiz" jaaN sadqa kiye
unkahee he reh gai voh baat sab baatooN ke baad

Last edited by a moderator:
Diplomatic CorrespondentPakistan once again avoided making any commitment to resolve long outstanding issues with Bangladesh, including apology for the 1971 genocide, repatriation of stranded Pakistanis, and sharing of pre-separation period state assets.

Doesn't BD feel it some kind of insulting or shameful to ask for apology every time and then refused? Well BD deserves it- cos why it begs apology again and again. This apology apology drama belittling us. If BD has something to do proud then it does not need any apology from PK for doing any placebo proud.

Since independence, Bangladesh has been asking Pakistan to resolve the issues which also include transfer of foreign aid that was meant for cyclone victims of 1970, and payment of war reparations. But all successive Pakistani governments, including the present one, have completely ignored the request, except repatriation of a small number of stranded Pakistanis.

Not sure about that how legitimate is this claim. But if BD really deserves any money then PK can think to give us money back.

Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mohamed Mijarul Quayes raised the issues again at the 5th round of Bangladesh-Pakistan Bilateral Consultations held in Islamabad on Monday. But conveying their position on the issues, Pakistan Foreign Secretary Salman Bashir said "they remain open to continue discussion on these at all levels".

Diplomatic sources said Pakistan officials' assurances since independence are merely rhetorical. They did not take any initiative to resolve the issues. Full diplomatic ties between the two countries were established in 1976.

However, on Bangladesh's request, Pakistan agreed at the meeting to provide access to information and database particularly on geological surveys and archaeological excavations conducted by Pakistani agencies before 1971 in Mainamati, Chittagong, etc.

Mijarul led a seven-member Bangladesh delegation at the foreign secretary level consultations, which covered the entire range of bilateral relations.

Bangladesh High Commission in Islamabad, which issued a media release yesterday about the outcome of the consultations, however said the two sides agreed to give fresh thrust to promoting bilateral relations, and Pakistan suggested moving towards a comprehensive partnership.

Both sides recognised that there is an abundance of goodwill and potential for further development of relations. Pakistan agreed to the proposal of the Bangladesh foreign secretary for holding regular directors general level bi-annual meetings of the two foreign ministries.

They agreed to redouble efforts to achieve US$1 billion target set for bilateral trade, and to address the issues of market access, trade facilitation, and removal of tariff barriers for export of Bangladeshi products to Pakistan.

Bangladesh specifically sought duty free market access for value added jute products, and urged Pakistan to review its sensitive list. But there was no specific word from Pakistan regarding duty free access.

Both sides agreed on the need for easing visa procedures, and for enhancing connectivity through direct shipping and increasing the number of flights between the two countries.

If apology would not be the main intention of this diplomatic tour then this tour could have been more successful and we would get more response from PK.

Where is Nazrul Islam? Giving so much priority to R-Nath over Nazrul means AL has intention to please a frictional and Hindu community only.

Let me say another thing: In BD AL says 'Joi Bangla', 'Joi Bongobondhu' and BNP says 'Bangladesh ZindaBad', 'Long live Bangladesh'. BNP never uses the word "Joi" and hell AL never uses "Zindabad". It means nation is very much divided from the deep and no light of political peace (not progress ) for never in BD.

Last edited:
Well if Pakistan takes this step, it will be a massive normalization drive and will cure the strategic over shadow of Bangladesh from India to Pakistan, both being muslim countries. India may not want this to happen!

In the long term, unitied Pakistan wasnt sustainable and solution to Bangladesh would have come by political means if not by millitary means. The real Pakistan, whole of it was concentrated in west while the east served as an overseas terriotry where west played the role of colonial power. The Bengladeshis should also admit their mistake. Mujeeb should not have conspired with hidden Indian-Russian communist agenda. Normalization of ties will open way for defense pacts and may be joint development of defense sector with Pak-China. As Bangladesh has some really smart engineers who have given their input in world reowned fights like F15 and F16.

Last edited:
Now I welcome the celebration of Faiz Ahmed Faiz. He wrote this poem upon return from Dhaka, Bangladesh, after the partition of East and West Pakistan, 1972. :tup:

hum ke Thairey ajnabi itni madaraatooN ke baad
phir banain gaiN aashnaa kitni mulaqatooN ke baad

Kab nazar maiN aaey ge bai_daGh sabzey ki bahar
Khoon ke dhabbey dhulain gaiN kitni barsaatooN ke baad

dil to chaaha par shikasht-e-dil nay muhlat he na di
kuch giley shikvey bhi kar laitey manajaatooN ke baad

thay buhat bai_dard lamhey Khatm-e-dard-e-ishq ke
theeN buhat bai_mehar subhaiN meherbaaN raatooN ke baad

un se jo kehney gaey thai "faiz" jaaN sadqa kiye
unkahee he reh gai voh baat sab baatooN ke baad

YouTube - Faiz Ahmed Faiz & Qazi Nazrul Islam - 'Hum ke thehre ajnabee' & 'Money pode aaj shay kon'

If you are fan of Faiz than do listen to this. A real classic. Same poem but from a different singer.

:frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom