What's new

Bangladesh on cusp of industrial revolution, HSBC says in Bangladesh Market Insights 2021

Bangladesh is not yet an export led country, it still has large trade deficit (18.8 billion USD) that mainly comes from China
It is getting there. It also has a large diaspora that sends large amounts of remittances, with decent exports volumes, it is well poised to overcome the challenges and follow the trajectory of tiger economies.

Now, tell me what economic activities the local private sectors have done so far. It is nothing except that many BAL brats are stealing money in two hands and fleeing to Canada and Dubai.

You seem to be counting chickens long before the eggs are laid as usual. Pray, tell me what technology industries BD has built during the last two decades. It cannot even produce machines, tools, or even Lathe Machines.

Industries must be built on whatever infrastructure a country has, and built near the Sea Ports. It is not the other way. Do not you see garments and related factories were built without the presence of Padma and Roopur?

At least try to learn how to manufacture lathe machines because these are the mother of all other machines, motors, engines, and tools the production of which makes the country wealthier.

BD people are fond of putting cart before the horse, and start bickering when someone points out the fault.

There are lots of industries in BD that you seem not to be aware of.

https://www.thedailystar.net/business/export/news/pharma-export-thrives-covid-medicines-2124401

Screenshot 2021-08-13 at 10.29.51.png

"The leading conglomerate of Bangladesh, founded in 1997, currently exports locally made electronic products to over 40 countries worldwide, mainly in the Middle-East and African market, including some European nations such as Germany and Romania."

Yes BD exports its own televisions into Germany. No other S Asian nation, even India, has managed this feat so far.

Now I am sure that you are aware of all this, so why do you keep whining and keep saying that BD has no industries apart from garments? True the current export volume is quite small but it is rising at maybe twice the rate at least of garments and so other industries will hopefully in time become a more important part of the export basket.

You are like a old man who is too proud to accept that all the views that you held dear are in fact not or mainly not true.

BD is doing just fine and its economy is predicted by people far more qualified and educated than you to grow 7-8% a year till 2035. They would not make these predictions just on the back of garments.

Last edited:
Now, tell me what economic activities the local private sectors have done so far. It is nothing except that many BAL brats are stealing money in two hands and fleeing to Canada and Dubai.

You seem to be counting chickens long before the eggs are laid as usual. Pray, tell me what technology industries BD has built during the last two decades. It cannot even produce machines, tools, or even Lathe Machines.

Industries must be built on whatever infrastructure a country has, and built near the Sea Ports. It is not the other way. Do not you see garments and related factories were built without the presence of Padma and Roopur?

At least try to learn how to manufacture lathe machines because these are the mother of all other machines, motors, engines, and tools the production of which makes the country wealthier.

BD people are fond of putting cart before the horse, and start bickering when someone points out the fault.
I am not a expert in this matter but there are private industries that are setting up new industries. Fair Technologies already assembles non-flagship models of Samsung.
Fair Technologies will set up a Hyundai assembly plant in Gazipur.
Realme also assembles phones.

These are all assembly plants but you can't go to manufacturing without assembling first.

Pharmaceuticals are already being exported. Square pharmaceuticals has set up a factory in Kenya.

Bashundhara Group and Meghna Group of Industries are the local giants. Meghna has 34 industries all over the country. They have their own economic zone called Meghna Economic Zone. Last year Meghna Group alone imported 14000 crore BDT worth of raw materials.

Bangladesh gets low FDI because of its poor infrastructure. That's why the government is investing in Infrastructure. Not only in roads or power plants but SEZs. Companies are already constructing their factories in Mirasarai economic zone.

I am not saying that Bangladesh is the best industrialized country in the world, I am just saying that its not as bad as you think.

"The leading conglomerate of Bangladesh, founded in 1997, currently exports locally made electronic products to over 40 countries worldwide, mainly in the Middle-East and African market, including some European nations such as Germany and Romania."

Yes BD exports its own televisions into Germany. No other S Asian nation, even India, has maanaged this feat so far.
Not only TVs, Walton has already signed a deal with German compressor manufacturer Secop-Gmbh to supply compressor components

Bangladesh has quite a few homegrown industries, from electronics & white goods (Walton Digitech), industrial cranes, power generation equipment (transformers, etc, by Energypac), high quality processed steel (GPH Ispat), reasonably successful pharma industry, and so on.

Import dependencies have shrunk drastically over the last few decades, within the aforementioned domains. For a geographically small country like Bangladesh, with agricultural background, it could be far worse. Though most of the aforementioned industries so far have been aimed at the domestic market, with negligible export volumes. Some, like Walton IBU, have started to export high-tech manufactured goods, selling budget-ranged LED tvs and washing machines. It's a good start, but it's early days. So yes, we have electronic industries in BD, but we're not an electronics exporting country yet. And I don't really see any policy decisions made recently, that aspire to make it one. Only individual companies like Walton are going ahead with such bold initiatives.

On the subject matter of technological autonomy, self-reliance, etc. Countries like Vietnam, which are so insanely effective at attracting FDI, find their domestic industries often struggle to breathe. I don't know if that's being turned around now, not saying it can't. They are accumulating the capital and experience, so it may be possible. Even companies within Bangladesh have raised this concern. GPH Ispat has said they'll struggle to compete with large multinational companies like TATA steel if they were to operate in Bangladesh. This is a difficult balance master. On the top of my head, the only country with 3rd world origins that have managed to pull it off is China. Incredibly good at attracting FDI, but also globally competitive industries of their own. But yes, Bangladesh is terrible at attracting FDI, and that needs to change. 75% literacy rate, lack of infastructure, dysfunctional bureaucracy, corruption are to blame. And we aren't technologically advanced enough to go it alone either.

The pattern of Bangladeshi industries goes like this. Bangladesh could not attract any investments in the past (still very low now). So Bangladeshi industrialists, through their own initiatives, made their own. Develop competency, then hope to attract FDI. A lot of them flopped. Bangladesh's economic complexity ranking actually gone down from the 1990s (when her per capita income was around $400, IE near the bottom rank). Probably because many industrialists, especially after economic liberalization, started up new industries across the country. A lot of them flopped, particularly around heavy engineering. So they were no longer there. Only the sustainable ones remained, such as RMG, pharma, etc etc. Others have tried, and they failed, for a variety of reasons.

Having worked in A*STAR SIMtech in Singapore, a government-owned research lab that conducts scientific research to enrich the Singaporean industry, I can categorically say, for such an advanced, knowledge-based economy as Singapore, even they cannot manufacture their own machine tools or scientific instruments that are required for R&D for high-tech industries. And neither is there a desire to do so. Though one caveat, companies like Makino, Oerlikon, Toshiba, Siemens, even Rolls Royce PLC (aerospace) have R&D in Singapore (at SIMtech, along with NTU, NSU uni's). For small countries like Singapore, it's more economically sustainable to consume certain technologies, in order to develop others. When I went to SIMtech, I did research for Razer (laptops) on Magnesium castings, using Liquid Forging. All the equipment in my I've used was of either Japanese or German origin. It's the same story in the industry itself.

For a lot of industries, there's literally no substitute for experience. A great example (on top of my head) being aero engines. How many countries have their own aerospace industries? Other than the big 4 (USA, France, Russia, USA), quite a few. Sweden, India, Brazil, Indonesia even... And how many can make their own gas turbines? USA, Russia, China, France, UK. And that's pretty much it. Not even an advanced country like Sweden, South Korea, or Japan, can manufacture medium-to-large jet engines, certainly not military ones. So they buy from western companies like Rolls Royce, GE, Safran, etc etc. And it's pretty much down to a single component, compressor turbine blades. The single most important component for a Jet Engines performance, reliability, efficiency, etc. The manufacturing process to build these blades are incredibly complex, very expensive, and requires the sort of know-how that is very difficult to acquire, even for advanced countries like South Korea and Japan.

There is no book that explains the know-how of certain manufacturing processes well enough, for others to replicate it. Turbine compressor blades being one of them, but it holds true for many other industries. You will find an enormous amount of publications in the theme, but I challenge you to read them, then come up with any sort of feasible plan to start up your own gas-turbine manufacturing company. And it's similar to other industries. Do you really think Bangla-fucking Desh has the R&D experience to develop advanced tooling machines that can satisfy the demands of modern industry, in the same way, Makino, Mazak, Liebherr et al can? Bangladesh doesn't have experience managing R&D in the first place!

As others have said, the most moronic thing for a developing country to do is trying to sprint like Ussain bolt, before they can even walk. Lee Kuan Yew knew this well. Heck, he even said (in the 80s), "Singapore is a nation of technicians, not Scientists". But today, they are among the leaders of R&D in Asia. Bangladesh is a f*cking infant. Have realistic expectations. Look at the building blocks that already exist, and work from there.

Personally, from my "unexpaaart" knowledge on industrial policy, Bangladesh will do well to attract more FDI, build capital, and substantially boost its human resources through education. Even compared to India, Bangladesh's R&D and scientific output per capita are minuscule. Use the money from exports (still too low tbh) etc, and invest in education ASAP. Particularly pre-workforce education. The education standards of our populace are probably the no1 reason for the bottlenecking of our industrialization and modernization efforts. And there's no substitute for it. Don't be like Pakistan, who thought otherwise

Last edited:
Fair Technologies already assembles non-flagship models of Samsung.

Fair Technologies assembles flagship models of Samsung too. They assemble Galaxy Note S20 and now S21.

Sweden, South Korea, or Japan, can manufacture medium-to-large jet engines, certainly not military ones.

Sweden used to manufacture military engine components as "risk and revenue sharing partner" in a consortium with a Volvo subsidiary (manufacturing various components like fan blades and compressor casings) called Volvo Flygmotor (later called Volvo Aero). Jet engines are complex products to develop under the leadership of one company, unless that company supplies a superpower - like P&W/GE supplies the US and NATO members. Volvo Aero was an assembler of several jet engines over the years, as their needs dictated, but rarely of their own design, for practical reasons. Volvo Aero used to assemble the Volvo RM8 engine that powered the Gripen, which was an F404 derivative. The company was purchased by GKN UK.

Ishikawajima Harima (IHI) in Japan was better funded by their govt. and had better (more independent) capabilities, though similar to Volvo Aero.

Russian engines were "inspired" by Nazi and later US Technology, and they went to a different level. Today they manufacture their own engines of course, including modern FADEC controlled passenger jet ones. They recently developed the Aviadvigatel PD-14 for their new MC (MS) -21 jet, competitive with B737 and A320 series. MS-21 is also available with US, French and UK engine power options.

Maiden_flight_of_MC-21.jpg

So I agree with your point - that developing High-Tech or even medium Tech items (or even trying to sell them overseas) is not practical for a small country like Bangladesh. However the Govt. certainly has not made it easy for even Bangladeshi investors to set up shop to develop Low tech items. It does encourage looting of public resources and siphoning money overseas to the tune of 100's of billions (with zero repercussions or pursuing them), as we see in the news everyday.

In this lawless environment - what foreign investors will invest? Even if you build freeways and railroads encased in Gold?

People have eyes, they can see. We are talking about foreign business people's hard-earned money here.

Last edited:
It is getting there. It also has a large diaspora that sends large amounts of remittances, with decent exports volumes, it is well poised to overcome the challenges and follow the trajectory of tiger economies.

That should become the wake up call for BD government. They need to have a level of urgency any responsible government should have with that alarming number.

Indonesia started having trade deficit when its GDP has almost reached 1 trillion USD in 2011. The reason our GDP is still around 1 trillion USD until this day is due to the weakening of our currency, Rupiah, from around 10,000 Rupiah per USD around that year into 14.000-15.000 Rupiah per USD since 2012-until Today (gradually weakening). This is the effect of market liberalization when ASEAN countries make FTA with China and become effective since the start of 2010 for Indonesia.

The highest trade deficit we have is around 8 billion USD in 2018. This number has brought the administration focuses on the economy than any other else. This is why there is no foreign loan for defense procurement during 2018 as we have seen the momentum of surging trade deficit since the start of 2018. Later in 2019 the foreign loan for defense procurement is so small and come back to nothing in 2020.

This is why I suggest BD to focus on the economy first until 2030 and just forget about buying 4 billion USD of Eurofighter. Concentrate on the economy and also education and then BD better acquire KF 21 (InshaAllah the program will be success) in 2030 where this fighter is planned to keep evolving until it posses 6 generation fighter capability as recent news reveals

Last edited:
" Fair Technologies assembles flagship models of Samsung too. They assemble Galaxy Note S20 and now S21. "

Yup, assembly so far, but not full manufacturing. I believe the higher value-adding manufacturing processes still happen in places like Vietnam, whereas Bangladeshi factories just put them together like lego. Although I'm told Realme has allegedly fully manufactured (outside of semiconductor components) mobile sets in BD now. I saw it on Linkedin. But they won't disclose whether it's for export or domestic market. I suspect it's for the latter. But still, step in the right direction. Hopefully, more full production will come soon. For both the export market, and domestic. Allegedly, some of the industrial zones currently under construction, are 100% export-orientated. But as of now, our economy is still too closed off. The only exception being the RMG sector.

Allow me to go on a massive tangent regarding engines, as it's kinda my area of expertise:

With regards to Swedish and Japanese engines. All Volvo aero-engines are local modifications of existing western designs, like the Rm2B (De-Havilland Ghost), RM6C (Rolls Royce Avon), Rm8 (a Jt8, with a Swedish designed afterburner), and the RM16 (bog-standard F414). They do manufacture gas turbine components. One of my colleagues works for a Swedish company that manufactures the exhaust cone for Safran engines. But they will never be able to design and develop their own, fully indigenous gas turbine. Neither do they want to. BTW, even in the 1950s, Sweden lacked the ability to manufacture its own high-output diesel engines for tanks. The Landsverk company drafted a fairly impressive indigenously designed tank (known as the Kranvagn), but the Swedish industry at the time did not have an engine/transmission in the 600hp+ range. So they outsourced it to Continental USA. It's nothing to do with Sweden being behind. But a small country with a lack of industrial experience (relative to the big players, including ones right next to them) ment they had certain limitations. And they were smart enough to work around it. And they have moved up tremendously. Volvo diesel engines these days, are world-class.

As for Japan, Honda, IHI, et al, have so far made very small jet engines, which aren't as technically demanding. The XF9 engine program is their most advanced, ambitious design, which is still going through bench tests. And engine development these days can take up to 2 decades or more, even for the advanced countries. It isn't groundbreaking in any way. By the time it enters sevice, the big 4 (Russia, USA, France, UK) will have 6th+ gen plus engines, like the concept demonstrated by Rolls Royce for the Tempest program. Japan is behind China on this field, who to their credit, have supersonic, 4th+ gen thrust vectoring engines currently fielded in mass (later WS-10 variants), alongside 5th+ engines like the WS-15 (I say 5+ plus because it has variable bypass and plasma igniters, which are beyond present-day 5th gen engines like the F119).

Again, not because the Japanese are intrinsically incapable (i dunno, maybe their short stature and flat noses impede their ability to comprehend complex aerodynamic flow-fields, and high-temperature metallurgy). Japanese was forced to become an American client state after WW2. Before WW2, Japanese engine technology was pretty good, just hampered by a lack of resources. Though they weren't advanced enough to independently develop gas turbines themselves, like the Brits, Germanys, Italians, even Soviets.

Yes, the Soviets were among the first to develop the Jet engine, Alexander Mikulin set the groundwork in the 30s. They built a 2500ib thrust (which was very high for the early 40s) prototype. But work was halted after the German invasion. Whereas the UK and USA managed to devote resources and time for jet engine development during WW2, USSR didn't have such luxury, their situation was a lot different. So they initially lagged behind post WW2. They mostly worked on reverse-engineered Rolls Royce Nene engines. The german-derived engines were most notably used for the MiG-9 and Yak-17s, and few prototypes. Soviet indigenous engines really began to proliferate from the late 1940s, with the RD9 (one of the first production engines with afterburners), and Mikulin AM3 (the most powerful engine in the world, for its time).

Russia is actually one of the world authorities in jet engine development, though almost exclusivly within military aviation. PD14 is the right step, it's roughly comparable to comparable Western engines in its class, with slightly less advanced features. But it's supersonic military engines where they really shine. The ITem-30 on the Su-57 is the most advanced after-burning turbofan ever to fly. With 5th+ gen plus features like variable bypass, plasma ignition, and the highest turbine inlet temp (usually an indicator of a nation's technical ability, as engineers around the world are working furiously to increase this parameter as much as possible) ever reported for a gas turbine engine. They're also really good at turboprops, helicopter engines etc etc. OKB Kuznetsov arguably made one of the biggest propulsion breakthroughs of the modern era with their prop-fan concepts. But lack of funding halted their development.

Anyway, to conclude that lengthy diversion, a lot of manufacturing technology requires huge bodies of experience and knowledge, which smaller nations simply don't have, or can access. Can't access because the precise "recipe" are often protected trade secrets, which large companies will never share. For example, Oerlikon makes some of the best TUngsten Electrodes for automated TIG-welding. The precise manufacturing processes are trade secrets, even though the processes themselves are widely known. It's the same thing with their CNC machines. Do you know why MG34s of ww2 fired so fast? Germans held all big metallurgical patents during the 20s and 30s, which allowed them to produce components with a higher degree of tolerance and quality, than most other people. Similarly, German a 2 inch German rolled armored plate, had a similar protection value as a 3 & 3/4 inch armored plate built in Britain.

For Bangladesh, with 1/4 population who can't even write their own names on paper, we're still struggling to find enough people to operate even basic machine tools. Even the Asian Tigers knew the limitations they had when they industrialized.

Bangladesh's development has a lot of inertia for rapid change. But I feel some are framing this discussion in the wrong way.

Last edited:
And btw, If I was the "minister for industrialization", I'd start with opening up high-capacity metal foundries, particularly cast iron, in order to grow "mother industries", which are presently lacking.

And they need to be modern, energy-efficient metal-casting facilities that can compete (in terms of yield, scrap rate, quality control, etc), which can compete with other modern metal-foundries, like the Volvo foundry in skövde (remarkable thing, visited it once, almost clinic like clean)

I'd also look at additive manufacturing, particularly welding-based additive manufacturing. Automated forms of manufacturing, can produce very intricate shapes easily, with good mechanical properties, and are very energy efficient. High investment cost, and require fairly technical operators (vocational training in CNC machines, at least). But the pay-off is good in the long run, as it produces net-shaped products. Whereas subtractive forms of manufacturing, such as machining, produce lower yields.

Bangladesh not only needs to industrialize but industrialize in a smart way. Sustainability will break or make industries in the future. For newly industrializing countries, they need to incorporate sustainability principles from day 1. Whereas large traditional firms often struggle to incorporate those principles, because they were always setup in the most unsustainable way.

Last edited:
And btw, If I was the "minister for industrialization", I'd start with opening up high-capacity metal foundries, particularly cast iron, in order to grow "mother industries", which are presently lacking.
Please repeat this thing to our BAL brats in the PDF and to the PM of Bangladesh who knows nothing about industrialization and development.

You have sound knowledge of how a country should initiate industrialization and progress. Please accept my thanks.

Russian engines were "inspired" by Nazi and later US Technology, and they went to a different level. Today they manufacture their own engines of course, including modern FADEC controlled passenger jet ones. They recently developed the Aviadvigatel PD-14 for their new MC (MS) -21 jet, competitive with B737 and A320 series. MS-21 is also available with US, French and UK engine power options.
Now, tell us which of these engines you have noted has inspired the making of our own engines? I find no such thing as tools, machines, engines, motors, etc. made in Bangladesh. Yet, you guys keep on celebrating the development of the country.

Note one point. Medicines/ drugs may be Generic and easy to produce but mechanical products are not. Perseverance is needed to produce them. BD has completely failed the expectations of its people. No industrialization means no development and progress.

Now, tell us which of these engines you have noted has inspired the making of our own engines? I find no such thing as tools, machines, engines, motors, etc. made in Bangladesh. Yet, you guys keep on celebrating the development of the country.

Note one point. Medicines/ drugs may be Generic and easy to produce but mechanical products are not. Perseverance is needed to produce them. BD has completely failed the expectations of its people. No industrialization means no development and progress.

Watch the below video and then speak after you know a few basic facts about BD electronic engineering capabilities:

BD does not have to make everything at this time, just enough to keep it's 7-8% per year GDP growth show on the road. Some of the others will come in due course.

And they need to be modern, energy-efficient metal-casting facilities that can compete (in terms of yield, scrap rate, quality control, etc), which can compete with other modern metal-foundries, like the Volvo foundry in skövde (remarkable thing, visited it once, almost clinic like clean)

I'd also look at additive manufacturing, particularly welding-based additive manufacturing. Automated forms of manufacturing, can produce very intricate shapes easily, with good mechanical properties, and are very energy efficient. High investment cost, and require fairly technical operators (vocational training in CNC machines, at least). But the pay-off is good in the long run, as it produces net-shaped products. Whereas subtractive forms of manufacturing, such as machining, produce lower yields.

Bangladesh not only needs to industrialize but industrialize in a smart way. Sustainability will break or make industries in the future. For newly industrializing countries, they need to incorporate sustainability principles from day 1. Whereas large traditional firms often struggle to incorporate those principles, because they were always setup in the most unsustainable way.

I'd say in this respect Pakistan is ahead of Bangladesh and their foundry expertise is very good at a basic level (roadside shops even). While I realize that similar shops do exist in Bangladesh too, but I am amazed how backward integrated their stuff is in some cases (in this case aluminum for cookware is rolled from melted ingot). Have a gander please. This guy's channel has several such videos.

" Fair Technologies assembles flagship models of Samsung too. They assemble Galaxy Note S20 and now S21. "

Yup, assembly so far, but not full manufacturing. I believe the higher value-adding manufacturing processes still happen in places like Vietnam, whereas Bangladeshi factories just put them together like lego. Although I'm told Realme has allegedly fully manufactured (outside of semiconductor components) mobile sets in BD now. I saw it on Linkedin. But they won't disclose whether it's for export or domestic market. I suspect it's for the latter. But still, step in the right direction. Hopefully, more full production will come soon. For both the export market, and domestic. Allegedly, some of the industrial zones currently under construction, are 100% export-orientated. But as of now, our economy is still too closed off. The only exception being the RMG sector.

Allow me to go on a massive tangent regarding engines, as it's kinda my area of expertise:

With regards to Swedish and Japanese engines. All Volvo aero-engines are local modifications of existing western designs, like the Rm2B (De-Havilland Ghost), RM6C (Rolls Royce Avon), Rm8 (a Jt8, with a Swedish designed afterburner), and the RM16 (bog-standard F414). They do manufacture gas turbine components. One of my colleagues works for a Swedish company that manufactures the exhaust cone for Safran engines. But they will never be able to design and develop their own, fully indigenous gas turbine. Neither do they want to. BTW, even in the 1950s, Sweden lacked the ability to manufacture its own high-output diesel engines for tanks. The Landsverk company drafted a fairly impressive indigenously designed tank (known as the Kranvagn), but the Swedish industry at the time did not have an engine/transmission in the 600hp+ range. So they outsourced it to Continental USA. It's nothing to do with Sweden being behind. But a small country with a lack of industrial experience (relative to the big players, including ones right next to them) ment they had certain limitations. And they were smart enough to work around it. And they have moved up tremendously. Volvo diesel engines these days, are world-class.

As for Japan, Honda, IHI, et al, have so far made very small jet engines, which aren't as technically demanding. The XF9 engine program is their most advanced, ambitious design, which is still going through bench tests. And engine development these days can take up to 2 decades or more, even for the advanced countries. It isn't groundbreaking in any way. By the time it enters sevice, the big 4 (Russia, USA, France, UK) will have 6th+ gen plus engines, like the concept demonstrated by Rolls Royce for the Tempest program. Japan is behind China on this field, who to their credit, have supersonic, 4th+ gen thrust vectoring engines currently fielded in mass (later WS-10 variants), alongside 5th+ engines like the WS-15 (I say 5+ plus because it has variable bypass and plasma igniters, which are beyond present-day 5th gen engines like the F119).

Again, not because the Japanese are intrinsically incapable (i dunno, maybe their short stature and flat noses impede their ability to comprehend complex aerodynamic flow-fields, and high-temperature metallurgy). Japanese was forced to become an American client state after WW2. Before WW2, Japanese engine technology was pretty good, just hampered by a lack of resources. Though they weren't advanced enough to independently develop gas turbines themselves, like the Brits, Germanys, Italians, even Soviets.

Yes, the Soviets were among the first to develop the Jet engine, Alexander Mikulin set the groundwork in the 30s. They built a 2500ib thrust (which was very high for the early 40s) prototype. But work was halted after the German invasion. Whereas the UK and USA managed to devote resources and time for jet engine development during WW2, USSR didn't have such luxury, their situation was a lot different. So they initially lagged behind post WW2. They mostly worked on reverse-engineered Rolls Royce Nene engines. The german-derived engines were most notably used for the MiG-9 and Yak-17s, and few prototypes. Soviet indigenous engines really began to proliferate from the late 1940s, with the RD9 (one of the first production engines with afterburners), and Mikulin AM3 (the most powerful engine in the world, for its time).

Russia is actually one of the world authorities in jet engine development, though almost exclusivly within military aviation. PD14 is the right step, it's roughly comparable to comparable Western engines in its class, with slightly less advanced features. But it's supersonic military engines where they really shine. The ITem-30 on the Su-57 is the most advanced after-burning turbofan ever to fly. With 5th+ gen plus features like variable bypass, plasma ignition, and the highest turbine inlet temp (usually an indicator of a nation's technical ability, as engineers around the world are working furiously to increase this parameter as much as possible) ever reported for a gas turbine engine. They're also really good at turboprops, helicopter engines etc etc. OKB Kuznetsov arguably made one of the biggest propulsion breakthroughs of the modern era with their prop-fan concepts. But lack of funding halted their development.

Anyway, to conclude that lengthy diversion, a lot of manufacturing technology requires huge bodies of experience and knowledge, which smaller nations simply don't have, or can access. Can't access because the precise "recipe" are often protected trade secrets, which large companies will never share. For example, Oerlikon makes some of the best TUngsten Electrodes for automated TIG-welding. The precise manufacturing processes are trade secrets, even though the processes themselves are widely known. It's the same thing with their CNC machines. Do you know why MG34s of ww2 fired so fast? Germans held all big metallurgical patents during the 20s and 30s, which allowed them to produce components with a higher degree of tolerance and quality, than most other people. Similarly, German a 2 inch German rolled armored plate, had a similar protection value as a 3 & 3/4 inch armored plate built in Britain.

For Bangladesh, with 1/4 population who can't even write their own names on paper, we're still struggling to find enough people to operate even basic machine tools. Even the Asian Tigers knew the limitations they had when they industrialized.

Bangladesh's development has a lot of inertia for rapid change. But I feel some are framing this discussion in the wrong way.

Great post and wonderful account of jet engine development, however I must correct one of your statements.

Yup, assembly so far, but not full manufacturing.

Two local manufacturers (namely Walton and another one I forget) make cellphone motherboards from scratch (as well as custom designed circuit boards) for locally made laptops, tablets and even their smart fridges/aircons. The pick and place SMT/SMD assemblers for those operations cost several crores each. To my knowledge, they don't manufacture cellphones from scratch even in India, only assembly.

I'd say in this respect Pakistan is ahead of Bangladesh and their foundry expertise is very good at a basic level (roadside shops even). While I realize that similar shops do exist in Bangladesh too, but I am amazed how backward integrated their stuff is in some cases (in this case aluminum for cookware is rolled from melted ingot). Have a gander please. This guy's channel has several such videos.

I think Walton has a fairly modern automatic metal-casting plant in one of their factories, probably the only type of its kind in Bangladesh. They allegedly hire actual process engineers to optimize their operations, using computational fluid dynamics. I was really surprised to hear about that for a Bangladeshi factory!

Metal Castings is one of the oldest manufacturing techniques known to man. We've been doing it for 6000 years or more. It's only in the past 60 years, we began to treat it as a science, rather than an art form. This is one of the reasons why metal castings traditionally had a low reputation in the industry, relative to forgings, machining, etc. This is why turbine blades used to be forged in the past because casting technology back then was not advanced enough, to satisfy the required material properties. Only fairly recently (the 80s), with the advent of mono-crystalline turbine blades, did castings replaced forgings, for the manufacturing of critical mechanical components. Which ment you could make very complex shapes (3D aerodynamic design), which was not possible previously through forging.

Believe me, there are many foundries in the UK that operate with victorian era technology that is hemorrhaging money. Because a high % of the castings they make fail quality control.

For mass production of high-value engineering components, automated forms of casting are the best approach. You want to eliminate any possibility of human errors, of which there are a lot of in most traditional casting practices. Automated casting plants use automatic pouring of liquid metal, in a very controlled manner, in order to minimize surface turbulence, which has a big impact on the mechanical integrity of the final solidified casting.

On the other hand, traditional artisan castings, like the one you've shown, can be useful for domestic items. Bangladesh has a huge domestic market for such items. So it can offer plenty of employment opportunities. Women do the knitwork, men can do the metalwork :P

Someone told me one of the reasons why Bangladesh has so many rickshaw drivers, is the inability of the industry to absorb our humongous population. Which probably has some truth to it. We need to think of creative ways of producing new, more productive employment opportunities

Back
Top Bottom