What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Good News

Two Years Old News.

1609742481663.png

Are they here for the Frigate program or just training our men to build better ships ?

I am wondering since the frigate programme is so delayed that BN should just go for a cut-down version of the upcoming Turkish TF-2000 class destroyer.

BN is not likely to get any ships into service by 2025 at the earliest now and so a deal made with Turkey this year and a design could be finalised by 2023. Ships could then be built and in service hopefully by 2025/2026 if all goes well.

Going down the Turkish route for the major warfare surface combatant of the BN would be ideal both in terms of cost and strategic reasons for BD over the next decades up to 2050-2060.

If they plan to "enhance the capacity to build larger warships, build a new dry dock, develop the design house and infrastructures" then i think they are planning to do everything locally with completely new design or ToT of existing model. The existing dockyard can easily build one Type 54A size ship if they have right equipment and manpower as they delivered two ICV to BIWTC in 2018. How heavy those ICVs are if they can carry 158 TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units)? Any idea where i can find latest satellite imagery cause last update in Google was made in March 2020?

Anyway no need to think that those delegation came for frigate project. Most likely they are here for the OPV project.

Last edited:
I am wondering since the frigate programme is so delayed that BN should just go for a cut-down version of the upcoming Turkish TF-2000 class destroyer.

Modified TF-2000 class would be OK design wise, however Turkish Navy ships use mostly NATO type armaments, either standard US stuff or license-made equivalents in Turkey such as RIM 116s and ASROCs. That is very different from what we have in our Navy now. I don't know how Pakistanis plan to integrate Chinese missiles and armaments into Turkish Milgem vessels. Maybe Brother @cabatli_53 knows.

Good question also for maybe @Quwa bhai. Thanks in advance for any details/pointers.

Also - TF-2000 cut down to 6000 or so tonnes will still cost North of $2 Billion each projected, which means cost can spiral upwards. Is that within reason?

How heavy those ICVs are if they can carry 158 TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units)?

ICV for Bangladesh has been standardized at 176 TEU, which is 2800 DWT, so 158 TEU would be say 2500 DWT maybe?

The standardized Bangladeshi 176 TEU Inland container vessels (ICV) design in use for container transport from Dhaka to CTG and Mongla to CTG for onward International export is shown below. This adds to road and rail inland transport of containers which has existed for the last three decades or so. There are more than two dozen container vessels already built owned by several private companies. Of course there are bulker and tanker vessels as well.

iu

Length Overall: 82.00 M
Breadth: 15.00 M
Depth: 7.00 M
Draft: 4.00 M
Capacity: 176 TEUS Containers
Displacement: 2800 DWT

Owner: Neepa Paribahan Ltd. and others
Builder: Western Marine Shipyard Ltd. and other yards
Class: Germanischer Lloyd (GL), Germany.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom