What's new

Bangladesh Navy

Whats the latest operational status of the 8 x Mig 29's, any updates yet?
Cost**

All are operational and fully working. The last four that was sent for overhaul was back last year.

BAF has floated a tender for new Radar,FCS & Avionics. Looks like Baf isn't going to upgrade/modify the airframe like in the SMT, just Radar & avionics upgrade.

BAF has floated a tender for new Radar,FCS & Avionics. Looks like Baf isn't going to upgrade/modify the airframe like in the SMT, just Radar & avionics upgrade.
The radar and avionics are up to smt standard. Bringing any changes to the few examples we have will increase maintenance cost and is uneconomical for a airframe this few and old.

US govt refused citing a poor country like bangladesh doesn't need a high performance jet like that. What are you talking about? PS. MIGs coated more to keep operational after they were grounded and stored in khaleda's time

USA was not in a position to refuse the transfer, because these units were beyond the numbers embargoed. Per treaty with Turkey, some eqpt were not covered by terms with NATO/USA.

USA was not in a position to refuse the transfer, because these units were beyond the numbers embargoed. Per treaty with Turkey, some eqpt were not covered by terms with NATO/USA.
Even if we got them transferred... Dummy missiles, missiles and bombs maintenance units simulators would have to be bought either from turkey or US which has to be cleared from Pentagon first

The CDDL dry-dock looks like this (old image), even without BMRE, which is already underway.

There is a concentration of half a dozen large yards around CDDL within a few miles, most of them private and relatively modern. Skilled Men, support machinery and material are available in quantity in the area. CTG is already a shipbuilding hub. And clueless foreigners questioning us building a few 3000 ton frigates in multiple

well said, brother.....

what I can add here is that there are many "companies" with diddly-doddly names that work as subcontractors for large shipyards.... they work for many yards; meaning - the knowledge is spread everywhere through the people.... and there are too many places around the hundreds of kilometers of riverside and coastlines in Bangladesh that hardly require any infrastructure to build ships.... 3,000 ton ships are too easy.... 10,000+ tons may require somethings special in some cases because of draft issues.....

I believe you've missed the Wikileaks docs on this F-16 issue....

Could you share more on this.

sorry brother, can't find the links..... but I can share one PDF discussion on the US decision on F-16.... the original news items even had the names of US State Department spokesperson.... but those had been removed from Google searches.....
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/u-s-refused-to-sell-f-16s-to-bangladesh.113695/

but on a positive note, I had been able to recover another Wikileaks link on the cable by US Ambassador in Dhaka back on 19 Jan 2010 on the suggestion to supply a Newport-class LST to Bangladesh..... the suggestion was refused by the US govt as we now know....
https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/10DHAKA65_a.html

Even if we got them transferred... Dummy missiles, missiles and bombs maintenance units simulators would have to be bought either from turkey or US which has to be cleared from Pentagon first

That wouldn't have been necessary. F-16 is widely used around the world. PAF would have helped us with back-up. Leave it at this. We are on BN thread.

The radar and avionics are up to smt standard. Bringing any changes to the few examples we have will increase maintenance cost and is uneconomical for a airframe this few and old.

I think maybe the purpose of keeping and upgrading the radars in the Mig-29s are to familairize BAF pilots with the operation and tactics of modern radars in the context of a 4th generation airplane, and not neccesairly to keep the Fulcrums in service for their inherent defence capabilities, although that is definetly important also.

I think maybe the purpose of keeping and upgrading the radars in the Mig-29s are to familairize BAF pilots with the operation and tactics of modern radars in the context of a 4th generation airplane, and not neccesairly to keep the Fulcrums in service for their inherent defence capabilities, although that is definetly important also.
Yes maybe. But also the stock radar they came with doesn't unlock the planes full capability in respect to BVR etc.

Yes maybe. But also the stock radar they came with doesn't unlock the planes full capability in respect to BVR etc.

I know. What I meant to say is that apparently BAF is trying to buy 4-6 Zhuk-ME to replace the original radars in the single seaters. At the same time also trying to upgrade the OLS on the UB. Basically cost effective upgrades to familiarize pilots on newer tech before introduction of the MRCA.

Back
Top Bottom