What's new

Bangladesh Navy

I am not familiar with the Bangladesh Navy so i was educating myself a little bit today. Let us take our main adversary to be Myanmar. Of course there is India but quite honestly we are no match.

Using Myanmar as the major threat, I was comparing the two fleets between us and them.

It seems Bangladesh Navy is investing heavily in Padma class offshore patrol vessels. The armaments seem very light though. No anti ship missile capability. We plan on introducing another 20 or so.

What concerns me is Myanmar has many Fast attack craft with the C-802 as the main missile.

It seems we have the C-704 is most of our ships.

There is a great range disparity.

Thoughts?

My two cents.

Superstructure design and features can vary due to Navy requirements. The main stealth feature is the relatively low superstructure, flat slab sided feature and low masts. Curved out edges add a bit of stealth but it is not significant.

In addition to a different superstructure design, the Bangladeshi examples are a bit smaller (lower endurance and smaller patrol area) and as a result lower in displacement (1300 tons) compared to about standard 1500 tons of the 056 class. That is why Chinese yard code name for BNS Shadhinota class is "C13B".

C=Corvette
13= 1300 ton displacement
B=Bangladesh

There is a larger but lightly armed OPV variant of the 056 for Nigeria called "P18N" (NNS Centenary class). The displacement is larger because Nigeria's coastal patrol area may be a bit larger (mostly oil rig protection like ours) and they want longer endurance (different naval doctrine from Bangladesh).

P=Patrol vessel
18=1800 tons displacement
N=Nigeria

Most of the following images are from the ship's visit to the primary home of the South African Navy in Simonstown (Cape Town, South Africa)

p18n-f91-2.jpg
IMG_2044A_zpsed87eac7.jpg
IMG_2081D_zps74d1d2bf.jpg
IMG_2071C_zpse294abf4.jpg
IMG_2004BBB_zpsbd2e9d5a.jpg
IMG_2011C4_zpsbc304ab0.jpg
Our ships also do not have steath capabilities for their mast.

I am not familiar with the Bangladesh Navy so i was educating myself a little bit today. Let us take our main adversary to be Myanmar. Of course there is India but quite honestly we are no match.

Using Myanmar as the major threat, I was comparing the two fleets between us and them.

It seems Bangladesh Navy is investing heavily in Padma class offshore patrol vessels. The armaments seem very light though. No anti ship missile capability. We plan on introducing another 20 or so.

What concerns me is Myanmar has many Fast attack craft with the C-802 as the main missile.

Thoughts?

All frigates including Type 056 corvette either equipped with C-802 or Ottomat anti ship missile.

Our ships also do not have steath capabilities for their mast.

Masts have evolved compared to the past, but have a few years before they can be completely 'stealthified' as an integrated mast. I hope our new lead ship heavy frigates in planning stage (maybe Daewoo 3000 class) will have both VLS as well as Integrated Mast in addition to stealth features. Here's a recent Daewoo-3000H proposal for the Thai Navy having both.

DW-3000H-frigate-starboard.jpg

But for now - smaller corvettes like Shadhinota class do not yet have stealthy integrated masts. Too expensive and also the smaller size of the corvettes themselves help with stealth a lot.

Newer design heavy frigates and destroyers over 5000 ton class are starting to feature them.

Such as the Type 45 destroyer of the Royal Navy.
Duncan_%287899777334%29.jpg

And the Iver Huitfeldt class heavy frigate (6600 ton) from Denmark.
iver-huitfeldt-class.jpg

Please read the following for all you need to know about new integrated masts.

https://defencyclopedia.com/2015/08/28/integrated-masts-the-next-generation-design-for-naval-masts/

Thoughts?

The following was as of 2014 and since then BN has had quite a few naval additions (don't know about Myanma Navy). Now make your own conclusions.

myanmar-navy-vs-bangladesh-navy-jpg.33172

I was looking at the wikipedia pages of both navies and had the following questions.

It looks like BN had inducted 5 Padma already with plans for a total of 20 or so.

Also there are now 2 Durjoy with a 3rd soon to be. Plans are to introduce 8 i believe.

There are 2 Type 56 in service with plans for another 2.

There are also 9 older fast attack craft and 6 frigates of various origin.

Now besides the above, are there any plans to replace the missile boats? Perhaps replace what we have with Chinese Type 22? How about newer frigates like Type 054?

The reason I ask is Myanmar has 19 missile boats equipped with C-802. It is also planning for 5 total Kyan Sittha Frigates with C-802.

Now besides the above, are there any plans to replace the missile boats? Perhaps replace what we have with Chinese Type 22? How about newer frigates like Type 054?

The reason I ask is Myanmar has 19 missile boats equipped with C-802. It is also planning for 5 total Kyan Sittha Frigates with C-802.

The day of the flimsy ~300-500 ton fast attack missile boat equipped with four unsophisticated missiles has come and gone. Coastal defense a la 'hit and run away' philosophy.

These were mainly OSA class boats (Soviet Navy concept), nowadays still practiced by Iran, North Korea and Myanmar Navy. Notice the similarity of the Junta govts. and their 'engagement doctrine'?

Type 22 would be a good solution but these are expensive water-jet craft - and are tough to maintain. I don't know if these have good 'bang for the buck'.

BN is planning to supplement our de-commissioned missile boats with C704 equipped Durjoy class LPC's. I also believe newer batch of smaller Padma Class may be equipped with a couple of lighter AShM missiles. Of course Padma Class is still equipped with MANPADs.

Last edited:
Recently I got hold of the tender which the BN floated to purchase the Anti-Submarine helicopters. Its around 50 pages. I'll post just the general specifications here soon, without disclosing much.

Recently I got hold of the tender which the BN floated to purchase the Anti-Submarine helicopters. Its around 50 pages. I'll post just the general specifications here soon, without disclosing much.

Thanks for your generosity. :-)

Nice fodder for discussion.

These were mainly OSA class boats (Soviet Navy concept), nowadays still practiced by Iran, North Korea and Myanmar Navy. Notice the similarity of the Junta govts. and their 'engagement doctrine'?
we dont use OSA class boats.. where do u get that data.. ? our real teeth in that class 5 series FAC (M)... which is installed 4 C-802 and was already built more than 20 ships..

The following was as of 2014 and since then BN has had quite a few naval additions (don't know about Myanma Navy). Now make your own conclusions.

myanmar-navy-vs-bangladesh-navy-jpg.33172
honestly , this data is so old.. it havent count even F12 and F14 which were commissioned in more than 2 years ago..
plus all our frigate and corvette 772 ,773 are fitted with C-802A missiles , not C-802.. Kh-35U is special choice for F-11 Aung zaya..

I was looking at the wikipedia pages of both navies and had the following questions.

It looks like BN had inducted 5 Padma already with plans for a total of 20 or so.

Also there are now 2 Durjoy with a 3rd soon to be. Plans are to introduce 8 i believe.

There are 2 Type 56 in service with plans for another 2.

There are also 9 older fast attack craft and 6 frigates of various origin.

https://defence.pk/threads/myanmar-defence-forum.347379/page-67#post-9063115 the answer is here..

Thats what @Bilal9 tried to convey
Myanmar_49_meter_FAC-M_1.jpg
i understand what he was trying to say.. just point out what he misunderstand.. that's all..

These were mainly OSA class boats (Soviet Navy concept), nowadays still practiced by Iran, North Korea and Myanmar Navy.

we dont use OSA class boats.. where do u get that data.. ? our real teeth in that class 5 series FAC (M)... which is installed 4 C-802 and was already built more than 20 ships..
you have more than 20 FAC (M) ships ? o_O

Back
Top Bottom