What's new

Bangladesh Navy indigenous Frigate development program.

Well best of luck to the Bangladeshi Navy...It is quite a challenging task...

I have a question. What shall be the use of these frigates? Is Bangladesh threatened by a country? These funds could be better spent somewhere else...

One can ask any sovereign nation that question right? Why allocate limited resources to defense needs when there are so many other concerns.

So like any other sovereign nation Bangladesh has national interests. I'm assuming the goverment of Bangaldesh is more aware of the nature of those interests more than you or I. I can only speculate it has to do with protecting resources in the EEZ after the 2012 decision.

Perhaps take a look at this nice article.

http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/...aritime-border-fix-puts-bay-of-bengal-in-play

One can ask any sovereign nation that question right? Why allocate limited resources to defense needs when there are so many other concerns.

So like any other sovereign nation Bangladesh has national interests. I'm assuming the goverment of Bangaldesh is more aware of the nature of those interests more than you or I. I can only speculate it has to do with protecting resources in the EEZ after the 2012 decision.

While I agree that we cannot understand the reasoning of a Government, we need to understand that the Government is run by some people as well who think of themselves more than the public...

One can see external threats and then analyse the need for a military upgrade...I dont even need to ask this Question if there is a military acquisition by India or Pakistan for example...

As per the Wiki Article of the Bangladeshi Navy, they have 02 Submarines, 07 Frigates, 04 Corvettes, 04 Large Patrol Craft, 11 Offshore Patrol Vessel, 09 Fast Attack Craft-Missile, 09 Fast Attack Craft-Gun and 04 Fast Attack Craft-ASW to name a few....plus a few more Ordered...Do they need more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Navy

As far as Bangladesh VS Myanmar goes a full fledged War is highly unlikely...

BD DEFINITELY has a requirement for around 12 4,000 tonne VLS missile frigates. It needs huge conventional forces to safeguard it's sovereignty in a tough neighbourhood.

I am sceptical that BD can start construction by next year as the largest military ships that it has built so far is the 648 tonne Durjoy class patrol craft. However, BD has a thriving civilian shipbuilding industry that can build ships up to around 10,000 tonnes. So it may seem a stretch, with massive Chinese technical assistance, maybe it can be done by 2018.

Whether construction starts next year or a little later, this is inevitable as "Forces Goal 2030" aims for large and modern conventional forces to build a military that can safeguard the interests of around 200 million people.

@Chinese-Dragon ; @ChineseTiger1986 ; @wanglaokan and any other Chinese input would be most appreciated.

I have to say I was skeptical about Forces Goal 2030, but looking at developments like this, man I have to say Bangladeshi government is serious....

Just look at the systematic way they are rapidly acquiring platforms. At first just random cost effective platforms upgraded to give some capability. But now longer term aims of standardization as well as some level of indigenous capability.

This guided missile frigate requirement made me a believer.

Damn, I'm impressed.

While I agree that we cannot understand the reasoning of a Government, we need to understand that the Government is run by some people as well who think of themselves more than the public...

One can see external threats and then analyse the need for a military upgrade...I dont even need to ask this Question if there is a military acquisition by India or Pakistan for example...

As per the Wiki Article of the Bangladeshi Navy, they have 02 Submarines, 07 Frigates, 04 Corvettes, 04 Large Patrol Craft, 11 Offshore Patrol Vessel, 09 Fast Attack Craft-Missile, 09 Fast Attack Craft-Gun and 04 Fast Attack Craft-ASW to name a few....plus a few more Ordered...Do they need more?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_Navy

As far as Bangladesh VS Myanmar goes a full fledged War is highly unlikely...

Yea. I used to think they didn't either.

But a few things. Firstly, Bangaldesh has a population of 160 million plus. AND it is extremely underdeveloped.
There are clearly other needs that need to be addressed. However, this can also be said about many many other countries in the world.

In addition, apparently the economy of Bangladesh has improved significantly in the last decade and projects to continue to do so.

The Bangladeshi military has been neglected to this point. Some sort of modernization program was due.

Also, I think the 2008 disupute between Bangladesh and Myanmar also had something to do with it.

Finally, its not just about a hot war. Having a strong military capability is more about deterence.

And this would allow Bangaldesh to have to NOT fight a war in the case it was a victim of aggresion.

Also these procurements are STRICLTY defensive in nature.

Well best of luck to the Bangladeshi Navy...It is quite a challenging task...

I have a question. What shall be the use of these frigates? Is Bangladesh threatened by a country? These funds could be better spent somewhere else...
The funds are spent on these to protect their countries economy. Especially if there is sea denial or someone starts mining in our waters... To protect our national interest.... We didn't put a dime on the military prior to this... This is needed.

The funds are spent on these to protect their countries economy. Especially if there is sea denial or someone starts mining in our waters... To protect our national interest.... We didn't put a dime on the military prior to this... This is needed.

Pakistan Navy has 10 Frigates while Bangladesh Navy has 7...Pakistan Navy has 13 Fast Attack Crafts while Bangladesh Navy has 22. (Respective Wiki Pages)

I think the Bangladeshi Navy put much more than a dime...

Yea agreed. I was really skeptical about Forces Goal 2030. But I have to say I was wrong.

This requirement for the 6 frigates really says something. And hoping to build it in house even more so.

Its good though. I will improve shipbuilding and all associated industries in Bangladesh.

Remember we dont have to re-invent the wheel to advance the nation. Just emulate others who were successful by using similar methods to advance industry and the economy as a whole.

Pakistan Navy has 10 Frigates while Bangladesh Navy has 7...Pakistan Navy has 13 Fast Attack Crafts while Bangladesh Navy has 22. (Respective Wiki Pages)

I think the Bangladeshi Navy put much more than a dime...

With all due respect. What Pakistan has dosen't have anything to do with Bangladeshi requirements.

Bangladesh doesnt need a nemesis.

And infact, thats a great blessing.

At the same time, an independent nation needs the ability to defend itself as well deter others from infringing on its rights.

By the same token, why does Sweden need a military? Its offically neutral right? No apparent enemies either?

Very nice avatar gif btw.

Bangladesh doesnt need a nemesis.

And infact, thats a great blessing.

At the same time, an independent nation needs the ability to defend itself as well deter others from infringing on its rights.

By the same token, why does Sweden need a military? Its offically neutral right? No apparent enemies either?

Can't compare the Standard of Living of Sweden and Bangladesh...

Very nice avatar gif btw.

Thanks...

Yea very true.

So the spectrum would be North Korea right? on one end. And say a highly developed country like Sweden on the other.

Somewhere in between are countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, as well as many other countries.

I dont know the figures, but I wonder what percent of GDP Bangladesh spends on the military. I guarantee its a small number. Meaning, theres room to increase it.

But way way way more important than buying weapons is to increase human development, better access to education, healthcare, as well as infrastructure development.

That goes without saying. Unfortunately, we humans are not always good to each other.

Yea very true.

So the spectrum would be North Korea right? on one end. And say a highly developed country like Sweden on the other.

Somewhere in between are countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, as well as many other countries.

I dont know the figures, but I wonder what percent of GDP Bangladesh spends on the military. I guarantee its a small number. Meaning, theres room to increase it.

bangladesh-military-expenditure.png

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/MS.MIL.XPND.GD.ZS?locations=BD
Currently 1.442% of GDP...

How does that compare to others?

Nice! Less than Senegal! I would say were on the lower side.

Can probably afford to up it a little if need be.

World Average 2.2.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom