What's new

Bangladesh moving closer to China

BDforever

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
China is climbing up the priority list in the Awami League’s foreign relations scheme, leaving Western countries and Bangladesh’s traditional ‘development partners’ trailing.
The ruling party is laying a greater emphasis on Bangladesh’s relations with China because of “strategic reasons”, Finance Minister Abul Maal Abdul Muhith has said.

He said China’s global economic influence had made them interested in bolstering ties.

“China is growing fast. They have huge savings. They have investments in many big countries, even in the US. One cannot think of the global economy without China,” he told journalists on Thursday.

The comment came at a time when it was widely believed that the ruling Awami League was focusing more on regional ties than distant Western relations.

China was looking forward to an economic corridor through the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) regional grouping.

It is also a major contender for the Sonadia deep-sea port, a priority project of the new government.

After the much-debated elections in Jan 5, India and China, the two regional powers, unhesitatingly backed the government when the US openly called for a fresh election “as soon as possible”.

The Finance Minister met the outgoing Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Chief Representative Takao Toda at his official residence.

Japan is the largest development partner of Bangladesh.

The minister said China was also becoming an ‘influential’ development partner like Japan.

For instance, he said China would finance a rail bridge over the river Jamuna.

He said Bangladesh had long-standing ‘friendly’ relations with China. In the 1990s, six bridges had been built with Chinese help as was the Bangabandhu International Conference Centre in Dhaka.

“We are prioritising considering its global economic influence. It’s a strategic reason,” he said.

JICA’s Toda would leave Dhaka on Friday. Mikio Hataeda has already replaced him.

Toda said JICA would continue to be Bangladesh’s partner.

He said as a development partner Japan wanted to be by the side of the Bangladeshi people.

Toda evaded a straight answer when asked whether JICA would renew its role in the much-talked-about Padma bridge project.

“I’ll come to Bangladesh once the bridge is built. I’ll drive car on the bridge,” he said, smiling.

source: Bangladesh moving closer to China -
bdnews24.com

@Ayush @scorpionx @levina @chak de INDIA @Srinivas @kurup and others ab tera kiya hoga kalia ?
connie_1.gif
see ? china is playing nice game, dragging AL out of india's lap :D

good news......they must have good trade relation with other country also
never advisable to trust on one country only........always keep other option open .......:-)

i m a little surprised.....when india backed the AL, then there was a huge problem- rawamy, anti US, anti democratic n what not.....but now since China is also backing the same rawamy league, then its 'friendly' relations. is it the chinese fanboys or just me ??

@Ayush @scorpionx @levina @chak de INDIA @Srinivas @kurup and others ab tera kiya hoga kalia ?
connie_1.gif
see ? china is playing nice game, dragging AL out of india's lap :D

Hmmm
From what I know China is Bangladesh’s top supplier of military equipment and biggest trading partner.
China is slowly building up ties to Bangladesh and competing with India for dominance in the region.....Awami league is being used.
Once they achieve complete dominance Chinese 'll TRASH Awami League.:haha:

This is what India has to say to Bangladesh.

:P

But how come Japan is the largest development partner of BD???

BD needs to move closer to itself.

Nations reach nowhere by aligning themselves with others unless they get their basics right.

i m a little surprised.....when india backed the AL, then there was a huge problem- rawamy, anti US, anti democratic n what not.....but now since China is also backing the same rawamy league, then its 'friendly' relations. is it the chinese fanboys or just me ??

Simple China doesnt work for political regime change in BD.

China will work with any govt in BD for strengthening the ties whereas India only wants rawamis

BD needs to move closer to itself.

Nations reach nowhere by aligning themselves with others unless they get their basics right.

I think by turning to others sides other than India, BD is pretty well trying to get closer to itself aka looking after national interests . If at all rawamis are doing that in actual and not rhetorically

Can't blame BD. They want to side with the winning team, not team india.

Back
Top Bottom