What's new

Bangladesh is getting closer to Eurofighter Typhoon

All of the above is circumstantial evidence at best. Any sources for point 2?

There has been

1) No indication of any trials or tenders for a advanced twin engined fighter
2) No indication from Eurofighter or in fact any other western producer of any interest in a purchase
3) No aviation news reports mentioning this

Leonardo setting up shop could be for a host of reasons, they set up shop in Pak too

Yes there is a source for point 2 - you just need to google.

BAF is already upgrading it’s fighter fleet as 4 of the 8 Mig-29s have been given modern radars and electronics.

BD has the 2nd largest and fastest growing economy in S Asia -money is there and just a case of signing the contract now.

Yes there is a source for point 2 - you just need to google.

BAF is already upgrading it’s fighter fleet as 4 of the 8 Mig-29s have been given modern radars and electronics.

BD has the 2nd largest and fastest growing economy in S Asia -money is there and just a case of signing the contract now.

No, I cannot find any source for a UK announcement for Fighters for BD, simply does not exist.

No, I cannot find any source for a UK announcement for Fighters for BD, simply does not exist.

Please re-read what was said as nothing in the original posts is about a contract being signed between uk and bd for efts.

If BAF does go for 16 Eurofighters then what are the options for Myanmar Air Force?
Maybe Jf17 Block 3 with Aesa and PL15? It will cost much less then the Eurofighters.

If BAF does go for 16 Eurofighters then what are the options for Myanmar Air Force?
Maybe Jf17 Block 3 with Aesa and PL15? It will cost much less then the Eurofighters.

They have none at this stage as EFT + AESA radar + Meteror >> JF-17 Block 3.

It is by far the best 4+ air-superiority fighter in the world and no other plane comes close.

Maybe if towards the end of this decade the J-35 is available then small numbers of these could be affordable.

I am gonna preface this by saying I am am uber skeptic when it comes to BAF.

But lets just go over the evidence shall we? (a brief incomplete list)

1) Officially stated BAF requirements, tender from 2017 and statements made by BAF chief as well as the honorable PM.

2) UK-Bangladesh statement from a few years ago mentioning the UK is ready to help BD with "high calibre multirole fighters"

3) Leonardo setting up shop in Bangladesh.

4) Previous purchases of Euro kit from Leonardo.

5) Florence Parly visiting PM Hasina on the fly.

6) There is more but the thing you should take away from this: Where there is smoke there is often fire.

Carry on.

Also, Bangladesh being listed as a potential customer in their website.

This is a programme that is very much alive. The contract sends a strong message to potential export countries like Finland, Switzerland, Egypt and Bangladesh that they can be assured that this aircraft will be in service up to 2060.

They have none at this stage as EFT + AESA radar + Meteror >> JF-17 Block 3.

It is by far the best 4+ air-superiority fighter in the world and no other plane comes close.

Maybe if towards the end of this decade the J-35 is available then small numbers of these could be affordable.

Under what circumstances? JF17B3 has the latest AESA with more range and functionality than that of the EFs AESA. As well as being equipped with the PL15 which has a longer range than the meteor...

Not just that but the JF17 is combat proven, from operations along the afghan border, to shooting down Iranians UCAVS, to shooting down indian SU30mki. Where does the EF compare to this?

All for 1/3rd the cost and 1/3rd the maintenance... pretty much a guaranty that 3 JF17B3s will be able to take out 1 EF

Under what circumstances? JF17B3 has the latest AESA with more range and functionality than that of the EFs AESA. As well as being equipped with the PL15 which has a longer range than the meteor...

Not just that but the JF17 is combat proven, from operations along the afghan border, to shooting down Iranians UCAVS, to shooting down indian SU30mki. Where does the EF compare to this?

All for 1/3rd the cost and 1/3rd the maintenance... pretty much a guaranty that 3 JF17B3s will be able to take out 1 EF

Are you seriously saying that JF-17 Block 3 is anything to a EFT with AESA + Meteor?

EFT is a monster air-supremacy fighter with canard-delta design and powerful engines. It will totally dominate the JF-17 in the high-altitude BVR kinematic environment.

Meteor uses the best of EU missile tech and will have an edge over PL-15, although I think the Chinese missile will be quite good.

Radar and electronics of the latest EFTs will be better than the equivalent package in the JF-17 Block 3 as UK tech is still better(slightly) than that of the Chinese, and the radar of the JF-17 will be anyway quite small and radar size matters in a fighter aircraft in BVR warfare.

Russian aircraft are junk and just because JF-17 can stand up to the SU-30MKI means nothing when it comes up against a monster air-superiority fighter like the EFT.

Try 3 JF-17 Block 3 against 2 EFTs with FOURTEEN Meteor missiles each in "beast mode" and see the results when the EFTs use their kinematic advantage to target the JF-17s from BVR range.

Are you seriously saying that JF-17 Block 3 is anything to a EFT with AESA + Meteor?

EFT is a monster air-supremacy fighter with canard-delta design and powerful engines. It will totally dominate the JF-17 in the high-altitude BVR kinematic environment.

Meteor uses the best of EU missile tech and will have an edge over PL-15, although I think the Chinese missile will be quite good.

Radar and electronics of the latest EFTs will be better than the equivalent package in the JF-17 Block 3 as UK tech is still better(slightly) than that of the Chinese, and the radar of the JF-17 will be anyway quite small and radar size matters in a fighter aircraft in BVR warfare.

Russian aircraft are junk and just because JF-17 can stand up to the SU-30MKI means nothing when it comes up against a monster air-superiority fighter like the EFT.

Try 3 JF-17 Block 3 against 2 EFTs with FOURTEEN Meteor missiles each in "beast mode" and see the results when the EFTs use their kinematic advantage to target the JF-17s from BVR range.

Uk ahead of China technologically? What a joke, most of their electronic imports are from China, they were even about to give Chinese Huwei 5g contracts until the Americans threatened them. China is far ahead of the UK in technology. I doubt you have any knowledge of military technology other than what you read online :D most American/European weapons use chips/semiconductors that are MADE IN CHINA, even a recent Pentagon report shed light to this.

EFT was developed in the 80s to face soviet threats. The JF17B3 was developed in the last few years for MODERN THREATS. From the AESA radar, to EW systems, to the Link 17 C3 system, the JF17B3 has more modern avionics that are atleast a decade or 2 ahead of the EFTs. These systems are used to primarily gather data and communicate the data to make INFORMED decisions based off of information.

Sure the EFT has superior engines and thus performance (Just as the SU30 does on paper), but you have to remember the side which has better C3I communications ie ground radars, AWAC radars, and synergy will have far more information and thus will be able to make better decisions in combat. The JF17 was built around this synergy similar to the Gripen.

Lastly having EFTs without any basic infrastructure such as ground radars, AWAC support, Arial refueling tankers, and support systems would be pretty useless. Making a jump from F7s/Mig29As to the EFT itself is a difficult challenge and will take a decade or more to have in place (training/support). Its much easier to make baseless claims on forums and fantasize than making it happen in reality.

IF Typhoons are procured, BAF needs to start the process of replacing F-7. Airframe life of F-7MB is reaching its end and F-BGI will follow suit. The MRCA procurement is separate from the F-7 replacement.
It is natural for J-10c to occupy the niche of F-7. therefore it is the most likely contender.

people need to realise that EFT if procured, is not going to be the workhorse of BAF.

Just as important as any weaponry is the TRAINING of Ground crews ,Pilots etc. We could have access to the RAF and NATO standard training and strategies. We could participate in Red Flag etc. etc.
Something MyAF will not have access to.

Just as important as any weaponry is the TRAINING of Ground crews ,Pilots etc. We could have access to the RAF and NATO standard training and strategies. We could participate in Red Flag etc. etc.
Something MyAF will not have access to.

Yes that is true but to keep it simple I assumed that training of pilots, tactics etc would be the same and just compared the fighters one on one.

I know that Pakistanis are really banking on JF-17 Block 3 and for the price and guaranteed supply lines from China, it is an excellent choice for them but to compare it to a fighter like EFT is too optimistic. EFT is a step-up for sure from the JF-17.

Having the best and latest weapons does not win you wars, just look what happened
to Soviet Union in Afghanistan.

I know that Pakistanis are really banking on JF-17 Block 3 and for the price and guaranteed supply lines from China, it is an excellent choice for them but to compare it to a fighter like EFT is too optimistic. EFT is a step-up for sure from the JF-17.
Capable platform. MyAF still hasn't made any attempt to purchase block 3 (at least not in public) given that their country is on fire right now. If they procure anything that upsets balance , we by the grace of Allah (SWT) posess the capability to respond. KFX/TFX whatever it is.

Yes that is true but to keep it simple I assumed that training of pilots, tactics etc would be the same and just compared the fighters one on one.

Eurofighter is a 4.5 gen fighter jet and Jf17 B3 is 4.5 gen as well.

Capable platform. MyAF still hasn't made any attempt to purchase block 3 (at least not in public) given that their country is on fire right now. If they procure anything that upsets balance , we by the grace of Allah (SWT) posess the capability to respond. KFX/TFX whatever it is.

BD's real headache will come if the Chinese J-35 comes into service towards the latter part of this decade and the MAF gets a chance to even buy a small number like 12 of these planes.

Anyway that is theoretical and into the far future for now and I am sure that a wealtheir BD of the 2030s will be able to respond with an appropriate fighter like TFX(I am not really a fan of KFX due to too much US and European content) and US influence over Korea.

Back
Top Bottom