What's new

Bangladesh Economy: News & Updates

No one is opposing development. What everyone is asking for is a development which is in the interest of BD people. Not in the interest of bloodsucker multinational corporations. They opposed open pit coal extraction plans, not coal extraction. They don't oppose power plants in general, they oppose a coal fired power plant which may cost us the largest single piece mangrove forest which contributes thousand times this super advanced 1320 MW power plant ever will. If you can't see the differences then you should stop taking development propaganda theories, and study a little more on the matter.

Anti- development people have many names for their pet projects. I think, you have very little idea about coal extraction from a depth 500 meter below the zero ground level. How do you do it? It is economically unfeasible. It is all a negative anti-development attitude in different positive names. BD needs to produce more and more electricity at any cost, because its production is directly related to the setting up of industries and thus opening many more opportunities for employment.

Instead, well-dressed people go after many slogans that deprive the common people of their future. BD needs to generate at least 50,000 mW of power in the short term and 100,000 mW for the near long term. Today, it is less than 8,000 mW. People get swayed when the Anus start propagating anti-development programs. These guys want BD to depend on India, I guess. Why do you think Rampal will destroy the ecology or Sunderban? Give us some good reasons for that.

Anti- development people have many names for their pet projects. I think, you have very little idea about coal extraction from a depth 500 meter below the zero ground level. How do you do it? It is economically unfeasible. It is all a negative anti-development attitude in different positive names. BD needs to produce more and more electricity at any cost, because its production is directly related to the setting up of industries and thus opening many more opportunities for employment.

Instead, well-dressed people go after many slogans that deprive the common people of their future. BD needs to generate at least 50,000 mW of power in the short term and 100,000 mW for the near long term. Today, it is less than 8,000 mW. People get swayed when the Anus start propagating anti-development programs. These guys want BD to depend on India, I guess. Why do you think Rampal will destroy the ecology or Sunderban? Give us some good reasons for that.
Well tell your God's own message on development to somsomeone from Fulbari or Rampal. The care you will receive will convince you otherwise I am sure. :enjoy:

And as for being anti Rampal, there is already hundreds of articles in both Bengali and English. Please Google and help yourself.

And when you are at it help me to understand something. why Rampal? Why not somewhere else?

Last edited:
A lot of practical things (among them living standards) need to be improved before one wants symbolic 100+ story towers to represent a country.
I would also opposed if the money came from govt. But the money is being provided by KPC group.Their money,only they can decide where to invest.Govt. need to look after common mass and it would have been wrong to spend 1.27 billion dollar by the govt in this project. But this project is like foreign investment in real estate sector in BD.Plus it's construction will stimulate local economy and create a lot of job.

Last edited:
A 145-storied building will be putting permanently too large a downward pressure. This pressure temporarily increases whenever there is an earthquake or a wind gust. I am not sure if Dhaka has any hard stone layer, say, at 50 meter below the ground level. If not, will it not be a little unwise to build such a tall structure on only friction piles?

I have once calculated the deposit of coal in BD in terms of its calorie. It is about 90 trillion cft equivalent of natural gas and BD's so far discovered gas deposit is something in between 13 to 30 trillion cft. So, the coal deposit is vast. The quality is very high with a very low amount of ash content.

BD cannot just leave the coal deposit idling underground when its new industries will require vast amount of power. I am personally in favor of building the BD-India Rampal power plant. Only condition from my side is the chimneys do not allow more than 1% of the fly ash to mix with air. The requirement is not something that cannot be achieved. There is a anti-development group led by that Prof. Anu Mohammed whose opposition to extract coal did not yield any tangible result. Now, again this Anu Mohammed is making the water murky.

You will have to give me those numbers. Something looks off. You have to assay the coal to see what type of coal it is. Did you use the 600 million ton number or something else?

You will have to give me those numbers. Something looks off. You have to assay the coal to see what type of coal it is. Did you use the 600 million ton number or something else?
Table below shows major coal fields and reserves in Bangladesh.

1) Coal field (district) 2) Year discovered 3) Depths of coal seam (m) 4) Reserve (million ton) 5) Status
1) Jamalganj (Joypurhat), 2) 1962, 3) 640-1158, 4) 1053, 5) not feasible economically
Barapukuria (Dinajpur) 1985 118-506 303 Underground mine started production
Khalashpir (Rangpur) 1989 257-451 147 Undeveloped
Dighipara (Dinajpur) 1995 250 200 Undeveloped
Phulbari (Dinajpur) 1997 152-246 380 feasibility study undertaken in 2004

Source Petrobangla; Geological Survey of Bangladesh.

Table below shows major coal fields and reserves in Bangladesh.

1) Coal field (district) 2) Year discovered 3) Depths of coal seam (m) 4) Reserve (million ton) 5) Status
1) Jamalganj (Joypurhat), 2) 1962, 3) 640-1158, 4) 1053, 5) not feasible economically
Barapukuria (Dinajpur) 1985 118-506 303 Underground mine started production
Khalashpir (Rangpur) 1989 257-451 147 Undeveloped
Dighipara (Dinajpur) 1995 250 200 Undeveloped
Phulbari (Dinajpur) 1997 152-246 380 feasibility study undertaken in 2004

Source Petrobangla; Geological Survey of Bangladesh.

OK so in total there is about 2 billion tons of coal in BD?

Again if you consume it at same energy intensity of India does now (say you achieve this somewhere 2025 onwards)...thats roughly 100 million tons you will be needing each year (1/7th of Indian consumption today roughly given your population is 7 times smaller roughly).

Thats about a 20 year reserve at best (probably less if you plan on ramping the consumption like India is doing now).

Even if its all anthracite coal which I doubt it is, thats maybe 25 - 30 years tops. If its lignite it will be cut short drastically...maybe 10-15 years. A mix of everything along with regular sub-b coal....will be 20 years at constant india-level per capita consumption for BD.

We are not even taking into account that not all of the reserve can be extracted as well....how high this % will need a better more detailed analysis by the assayers.

OK so in total there is about 2 billion tons of coal in BD?

Again if you consume it at same energy intensity of India does now (say you achieve this somewhere 2025 onwards)...thats roughly 100 million tons you will be needing each year (1/7th of Indian consumption today roughly given your population is 7 times smaller roughly).

Thats about a 20 year reserve at best (probably less if you plan on ramping the consumption like India is doing now).

Even if its all anthracite coal which I doubt it is, thats maybe 25 - 30 years tops. If its lignite it will be cut short drastically...maybe 10-15 years. A mix of everything along with regular sub-b coal....will be 20 years at constant india-level per capita consumption for BD.

We are not even taking into account that not all of the reserve can be extracted as well....how high this % will need a better more detailed analysis by the assayers.

BD population is 8 times smaller than India.

You will see a lot of BD coal fired power plants using imported coal like the current Matarbari project which will have a port specifically to unload coal.

BD coal plants will use a mixture of domestic and imported coal of only high quality as BD wants to minimise pollution.

Last edited:
BD population is 8 times smaller than India.

You will see a lot of BD coal fired power plants using imported coal like the current Matarbari project which
will have a port specifically to unload coal.

BD coal plants will use a mixture of domestic and imported coal of only high quality as BD wants go minimise
pollution.

So is BD local coal relatively bad quality (say lignite with lots of sulphur?)

So is BD local coal relatively bad quality (say lignite with lots of sulphur?)

My understanding is that it is generally of a high quality.

The reason there has not been more use of it is due to the fact that BD is land scarce
and so governmentshe have been reluctant to develop the resource to it's full potential.

My understanding is that it is generally of a high quality.

The reason there has not been more use of it is due to the fact that BD is land scarce
and so governmentshe have been reluctant to develop the resource to it's full potential.

Ok fair enough, because if its continuation of the gondwana coal seam geology in Eastern India then it should be generally good coal.

So if it hasnt been developed to full potential....is there actually coal mining going on in small amount in BD then?....and if so how much is the production per year?

Ok fair enough, because if its continuation of the gondwana coal seam geology in Eastern India then it should be generally good coal.

So if it hasnt been developed to full potential....is there actually coal mining going on in small amount in BD then?....and if so how much is the production per year?

One mine that powers a small 250mw power plant in Barapakuria in NW BD.
Not sure about total production but it will be small since it powers only a small
power station.

A 145-storied building will be putting permanently too large a downward pressure. This pressure temporarily increases whenever there is an earthquake or a wind gust. I am not sure if Dhaka has any hard stone layer, say, at 50 meter below the ground level. If not, will it not be a little unwise to build such a tall structure on only friction piles?

yes purbachal soil is very ancient and not formed by siltation. That is the reason the plan for the building is shifted from Keraniganj to Purbachal. RAJUK are not giving permission for smaller tower in the purbachal now a days. They are asking land owners to make syndication with the neighbor and apply for towers taller than 40/50 storied and if possible 80/90 storied around this KPC tower.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom