What's new

Bangladesh could acquire Istanbul-class frigates from Turkey

Bangladeshi military assets should be named after in my opinion leaders starting from shere-e-bangla onwards.

We have the language martyrs, 71 martyrs..... we are hardly lacking in this space.

We need to have direct connection to names and personality we lionise.

If we do end up choosing Turkey as build-partner for the new frigates, I suggest these be named alternatively after the Turkish rulers and early Bengal Sultanate rulers, which would be appropriate in any case.

That makes a lot more sense than Chetona names like "Nabajatra" and "Joyjatra" etc.

Names of most major naval vessels in other nations have ancient leaders/rulers/warriors as namesakes. I know it is a bit early for this. But it is a sore ongoing point with me.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you meant Turkic and not Turkish, which is mostly associated with the country of Turkey, don't think anyone from Turkey ruled over Bengal.
In any case don't you want it to be named after Bengalis?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you meant Turkic and not Turkish, which is mostly associated with the country of Turkey, don't think anyone from Turkey ruled over Bengal.
In any case don't you want it to be named after Bengalis?
Bold part: It was Turkic and also many Pashtun Muslims from the eastern Garmshiar of present-day Afghanistan who domiciled themselves in Bengal and they were certainly not Turkish. Sometimes, people make mistakes between the two terms, Turkic and Turkish.

It is 1200 to 1203 AD, about 9 years after Kutubuddin Aibek under Muhammed Ghori of another group captured Delhi that this first group of foreign Muslims arrived in Bihar and Bengal and settled with their retinues, soldiers, and their families.

I wonder if our BAL Chetona group knows this history of Bengal or not.

Bangladeshi military assets should be named after in my opinion leaders starting from shere-e-bangla onwards.

We have the language martyrs, 71 martyrs..... we are hardly lacking in this space.

We need to have direct connection to names and personality we lionise.

Nah , if we get a space program then we should name space missions or rockets after them lol

Bold part: It was Turkic and also many Pashtun Muslims from the eastern Garmshiar of present-day Afghanistan who domiciled themselves in Bengal and they were certainly not Turkish. Sometimes, people make mistakes between the two terms, Turkic and Turkish.

It is 1200 to 1203 AD, about 9 years after Kutubuddin Aibek under Muhammed Ghori of another group captured Delhi that this first group of foreign Muslims arrived in Bihar and Bengal and settled with their retinues, soldiers, and their families.

I wonder if our BAL Chetona group knows this history of Bengal or not.

BAL Chetona group do know, but will not acknowledge this history willingly. Does not fit their overall "chetona" narrative, being that they are more Hindu in mindset than Hindus themselves. That Eastern Bengal (Bengal Subah) was ruled since the 1200's by Muslim rulers is something that the Chetona folks would rather sweep under the rug. And these rulers were more or less very benevolent rulers, unlike the oppressive Hindu Sen and Pal kings that came before them, forcing the lower and lower middle classes in Eastern Bengal carry the oppressive yoke of class structure on their lone shoulders.

They are all Afghan..

It doesn't matter. We all are migrants in someway. Even the upper caste Hindus of Bengal claim to have arrived from north of Vindhya.

Bengalis are a mixture of people from different genetic/demographic backgrounds. The "Bengali identity" itself is a construct of the Bengal sultanate.

BAL Chetona group do know, but will not acknowledge this history willingly. Does not fit their overall "chetona" narrative, being that they are more Hindu in mindset than Hindus themselves. That Eastern Bengal (Bengal Subah) was ruled since the 1200's by Muslim rulers is something that the Chetona folks would rather sweep under the rug. And these rulers were more or less very benevolent rulers, unlike the oppressive Hindu Sen and Pal kings that came before them, forcing the lower and lower middle classes in Eastern Bengal carry the oppressive yoke of class structure on their lone shoulders.
I would like to correct two points below:

1) One is about Eastern Bengal. No, it was today's Bangladesh, west Bengal, Bihar, Orissa, and some of the times some parts of Assam (read western Assam near Dhubri). Orissa was ceased to the Marathas sometime in the late 1740s by Nawab Alwardy Khan except that he cut Medenipur from it and joined it to Bengal proper. All these areas were under the sovereignty of the Bengal Sultanate since the time of Malik Ikhtiaruddin.

2) You have to understand what history says about the number of 1200 AD's migrating Muslims in Bengal. I ask you to note that Ikhtiar took 10,000 to 12,000 troops to invade Assam (not Tibet as our stupid people like to believe). Before he left for Assam he sent two brothers named General Shihabuddin and General Shahabuddin to invade Jajnagar of Orissa. I do not have the knowledge of the number of soldiers. But, you can assume it was at least 5,000.

When these two big numbers of soldiers went out of Lukhnouti for two important expeditions, you can assume that Malik Ikhtiar left at least a similar number of his soldiers to defend the capital and other parts of his territories.

So, add them and their family minors and others together. At least 200,000 people from Afghanistan/ Central Asia migrated to Lukhnouti/ Bengal only on that occasion. There are many others until 1757 AD.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter. We all are migrants in someway. Even the upper caste Hindus of Bengal claim to have arrived from north of Vindhya.

Bengalis are a mixture of people from different genetic/demographic backgrounds. The "Bengali identity" itself is a construct of the Bengal sultanate.

We Bengalis (Eastern Bengalis) have a lot of Asiatic Mongoloid blood. Especially the further South in Bangladesh you go. Lot of seafaring and trade went on in the early days, as well as Buddhist Religious expeditionary activity in between our land and the kingdoms of Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia and China and vice versa.

The fact that we look different than the rest of Indian Hindus is also because of Muslim migrations to Eastern Bengal (in addition to Mongol blood). Detractors try to make jokes about it but I have seen this myself when I visited Gulf countries.

IMHO, the more diverse the mix, the stronger the bloodline. The more talent.

In any case - this is off topic, back to our regular programming...

We Bengalis (Eastern Bengalis) have a lot of Asiatic Mongoloid blood. Especially the further South in Bangladesh you go. Lot of seafaring and trade went on in the early days, as well as Buddhist Religious expeditionary activity in between our land and the kingdoms of Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia and China and vice versa.

The fact that we look different than the rest of Indian Hindus is also because of Muslim migrations to Eastern Bengal (in addition to Mongol blood). Detractors try to make jokes about it but I have seen this myself when I visited Gulf countries.

Cool cool , by the way how tf did we go from talking about modern warships to Mongolians lmao

Cool cool , by the way how tf did we go from talking about modern warships to Mongolians lmao

Its a stealth thread hijack, just the way it works with some of us. :lol:

On topic, here is more talk about why Pakistan was thinking about Istanbul class (and generally MILGEM, four years ago....

Also do not wish to divert the thread but all i will say that BD is a nation of many people who have coalesced into a single culture, language and mostly one religion. We have minorities and that just adds to the mix and makes us stronger. Bangladeshi is what we are and that is the core identity not bengali.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom