What's new

Bangladesh-China ties : strategic realities

An interesting idea. If it really came to a tussle with India than Bangladesh should not be a bit player. This proposition might be even more attractive if Sri Lanka was part of the deal. At least this would prevent any future expansionist tendencies on the part of India in the South Asian region.

Well what is Bangladesh's gain in allowing its land to be used to attack India?

No country has successfully won a war where it has split its forces in two theaters of battle with enemies of sufficient strength. Hitler made that mistake when he went after the USSR. The same outcome would happen today if the US went to war against Iran and North Korea simultaneously. Similarly if India had to divide its forces between the East and the West and also the North than it would be impossible for its forces to secure a victory.

You speak so sensibly on the fallacy of diverting assets on a two prong attack. Well wouldnt Pakistan also be diverting its assets in launching an attack from erstwhile East Paksitan. And moreover when India has to move its assets thru friendly land masses with good speed ( rail and road) , Pakistan has to move its assets from west to east thru hostile area( Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal) and that too rather slowly.

I think leaders of Bangladesh should seriously consider this proposition only if China was to guarantee the deal and have some military input in BD similar to your Jinnah and Gwadar ports otherwise it would be a waste of time.

Why would China get directly involved in this issue? China had a glorious chance to corner India during kargil. Foregt cornering India they just ignored their allweather ally during that crisis. That China which didnt help its closest ally would come and help a country which can provide abosulty zero value addition tot it.

I think the present situation in both Pakistan and Bangladesh presents many possibilities and opportunities for both countries but we have to wait and see if the political will exists to see the challenges through. I am not entirely convinced that the government or military in Bangladesh is quite sure in which direction they intend to go on strategic issues and we will need to wait and see how things work themselves out in Dhaka.

Both of the countries mentioned have their ex PM in forced custody or exile. is that the present oppurtunity that you mentioned. I cant see anything else in commin.

I think that Pakistan, China and Bangladesh share a common threat perception.

dear dear,no.we want to have friendly relations with everyone.reason why India is much despised by some here in BD is because of massive propaganda about terrorists and how we are in the grip of the radicals.
China should help us build naval assets instead of getting a naval base.

I think we have to be realistic about out options. We cannot expect free lunches. Nor should we expect that we can be friends with everyone. That kind of thinking has gotten us no where. It is time to build alliances and shape our destiny through cooperation.

very valid point raised munshi

i think if bangladesh joins the sino-pak alliance, then cornering india will not be a very difficult task.

the claws-of-the crab theory of china will be realised.

:china: :china:

Where did you hear that theory, my friend? Any source?

I think that Pakistan, China and Bangladesh share a common threat perception.

Bangladesh is land locked, its sea routed an be blocked very easily. Its rivers flow thru India and then to it.Any sane B'deshi leader would not take any hostile step against India. And also remember right now B'deshis enjoy symphathy from the Indian masses, any hostile move would see the pressure on Govt to hunt these guys down and deport them back, and thats going to be catostrophical for them.

Bangladesh is land locked

Do you know the meaning of land-locked ...... India's seven sisters is land locked Bangladesh has a sea outlet ... whether India can block or not is another issue altogether ....

Do you know the meaning of land-locked ...... India's seven sisters is land locked Bangladesh has a sea outlet ... whether India can block or not is another issue altogether ....

Well i meant most of it is.

Bull is right.geographically we are very vulnerable and our sea lines of communication can be blocked very easily by the powerful Indian navy;unless we invest a LOT in our naval forces and it will still be difficult for us to breakdown naval blockades.
yes China-BD relations are necessary,quite.But that doesn't mean we should spoil our relations or further spoil our already strained relations with India;obviously we shouldn't bow down to all their demands about the solutions to the disputes we have between the two of us.

What has Pakistan got from trying to make peace with India? .... The Indian motto to its neighbour is to either accept its domination and hegemony or face reprisals ..... The only way for smaller countries is to stand up against such bully tactics .... That is the only way to earn respect .... It is either this way or slavery .....

Bull is right.geographically we are very vulnerable and our sea lines of communication can be blocked very easily by the powerful Indian navy;unless we invest a LOT in our naval forces and it will still be difficult for us to breakdown naval blockades.
yes China-BD relations are necessary,quite.But that doesn't mean we should spoil our relations or further spoil our already strained relations with India;obviously we shouldn't bow down to all their demands about the solutions to the disputes we have between the two of us.

Why spend so much of hard cash. Just try to work out good relationship with India. I dont think so india has any born enemity with you.

What has Pakistan got from trying to make peace with India? .... The Indian motto to its neighbour is to either accept its domination and hegemony or face reprisals ..... The only way for smaller countries is to stand up against such bully tactics .... That is the only way to earn respect .... It is either this way or slavery .....

Pakistan tried peace by sending their PM to agra and on the back of that asked the PA to occupy Kargil.

Just try to work out good relationship with India. I dont think so india has any born enemity with you.
uh well.cooperation has been low on part of both the countries.
http://www.tamilcanadian.com/page.php?cat=466&id=4073
this should give you an idea.If this article that is the writer is wrong correct me please.

anyways,Chinese products ,heard our armoured corps wasn't that satisfied with the tanks we bought from them.

anyways,Chinese products ,heard our armoured corps wasn't that satisfied with the tanks we bought from them.

I doubt that we could afford US or Israeli weaponry but it is something we should be aiming for when our economy starts booming again. This years floods are going to take a hit on the economy no doubt.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom