What's new

Bangladesh can grow like China

Hammer-fist

Reaction score

Rejaul Karim Byron and Md Fazlur Rahman

Ellen Goldstein, who recently completed her assignment in Bangladesh as the World Bank's country director, talked with The Daily Star before her departure. She shared her views on various issues such as the Bank's contribution to Bangladesh, the country's macroeconomic situation, infrastructure deficiency, investment climate, corruption and Padma bridge financing. Here are the excerpts from the interview.

What is your overall contribution/impression about Bangladesh's economy?

I feel that my term here was on balance a pretty positive one, as the World Bank was able to achieve many of the things we had set out to do, that contributed to important development results in Bangladesh.

We have a portfolio of more than $5 billion in total commitments now in over thirty different operations.

In areas like rural transportation, rural water supply, local governance, community-driven development, girls' education, health and nutrition outcomes, we have massive scaling up of the WB's resources. At the same time, we can measure and see the results on the ground and how it is changing people's lives.

Is Bangladesh moving up the ladder on social indicators?

Most of Bangladesh's social welfare indicators have shown improvement over the past 20 years. This is a tremendous credit that can be attributed to successive governments and many other stakeholders such as non-government organisations and community organisations.

There has been a consistent focus across different governments on improving social welfare, health, education, nutrition, social protection and family planning.

What is your comment on corruption, efficiency of infrastructure and bureaucracy issues?

I first came to Bangladesh in early 1990s. When I came back here again in 2009 for the current assignment, I saw a remarkable transformation of Bangladesh's economy and society over this 20-year period.

There has been amazing transformation, and a lot of that is underpinned by a relatively good macroeconomic management which is a kind of hallmark for Bangladesh.

At the same time, I do not think that we have seen a huge progress on some areas that would allow Bangladesh to jump from the current relatively good performance of 6 percent growth a year and falling poverty rates.

But, if the country wants to grow like China with 8 percent to 10 percent GDP growth, Bangladesh has the potential to do that.

What areas can help achieve higher economic growth?

The big opportunity for Bangladesh is to take advantage of the most competitive labour market in the world. The country has a demographic dividend with a huge number of young people. More educated young people are entering the labour force than before. In order to take advantage, there should be additional structural reforms in the areas of infrastructure development and investment climate.

What is your comment on infrastructure deficiency and investment climate?

For large scale infrastructure, Bangladesh needs to embrace public-private partnership (PPP) model. Not all infrastructures can be built through public sector money. There has to be a much more diverse market for providing the needed infrastructure. And we are talking about a whole range of infrastructure -- telecom, port, roads, inland water transport, etc.

The other related area is investment climate in terms of the regulatory environment and the processes and procedures around investing, starting or operating businesses in Bangladesh.

What are the development challenges of Bangladesh?

Remarkable progress on human development has been made which is a triumph for Bangladesh. The number of women in workforce or the number of girls in school demonstrates a huge social transformation.

But one area related to human development as well as to investment climate, that now needs focus is skill development. Bangladesh needs to have more skilled labour force both in the country and outside. For that, a significant focus on the quality of education is needed going forward.

There is allegation against the WB of slow fund release. What do you say?

First of all, we need to work on the facts, not on the allegations.

The WB has a total commitment of around $5 billion and about $3.4 billion which is currently committed but not yet disbursed. We have to remember that when a donor commits for a five-year project, in the first year almost fourth-fifths of the money will not be disbursed. The minute the money is committed it will not go out of the door. The WB's yearly disbursement is higher than other development partners. In recent years, we have disbursed from less than $400 million to well over $500 million. In the first half of the fiscal year, we have already disbursed $350 million. Hopefully, we will continue the same pace and the full years' disbursement will be more than $600 million.

Why is Bangladesh not getting budgetary support from the WB?

Under the current country assistance strategy, we thought there might be scope for budget support. While considering a poverty reduction support credit, some deterioration was seen in the overall governance environment in the country. You can remember back at that time, there were problems with the management of capital market, issues in the telecom sector such as renewal of telecom licences, and issues with public debt management. As a result, we saw a decline between fiscal year 2010-11 and 2011-12 in the Country Policy and Institutional Assessment or CPIA. This is an indicator that we use to assess how the government is doing on many different aspects of policies and institutional development.

Let me say that the strategy pursued in the power sector did in fact help to keep growth moving which is very important. This is not meant to be necessarily a criticism. But what it did mean is that there is a tremendous increase in subsidies in government spending. This led to greater domestic borrowing by the government that led to the tendency to crowd-out borrowing by the private sector. Along with this, there was deterioration in the quality of public spending in some areas.

Was the way the WB handled the Padma bridge issue a bit high-handed when no money changed hands? Is it a zero-sum game in the end?

You have raised a very important question for everyone working in development. And that is a question of how do we do business in a weak governance environment. How do we balance the need to avoid corruption risk, which takes money out of the hands of poor Bangladeshis? How do we minimise those risks and still try to contribute to development results? This is a very fundamental question and it is unlikely to be answered today.

The people of Bangladesh win if a stance is taken against corruption. I think most Bangladeshis are tired of thinking that money meant to be used to improve the lives of the poorest in the country may not be used for that purpose. It frustrates people tremendously. They deserve the money that is made available by the international community to be used for more long-term development purposes.

What are the improvements that make you proud?

We have made a lot of progress in supporting and strengthening Bangladesh's own systems. And in the end, through this strengthening, Bangladesh will be a more dynamic country.

I was thinking in particular about improvement in the public financial management. We are working together to improve the programming and oversight of the budget. The parliament and the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General need to be strengthened to be more efficient and more transparent, so people can see how the public money is being spent.

We have had also incredibly good progress on public procurement reforms. All of the drama around the Padma bridge project is because of a procurement issue.

Is the WB responsive?

We scale up in areas where we see results. We see results and we scale up to get more results.

We also tried to be a more responsive WB. There have been many instances where the government has had a sudden or important problem to deal with. Despite the reputation of slow bureaucracy, the WB tried to respond in an innovative, flexible and quick manner.

Will the Padma bridge episode have any adverse impact on the relationship between the

government and the WB?

We have a wonderfully long and productive relationship between the government and the WB. I think our relationship can withstand this kind of discussion. It has its moment of stress and people get frustrated. I believe that we have been through so much together as partners and that our relationship is going to come out of this very strong.

The fact that many people in Bangladesh have understood and appreciated why the WB has taken this decision, I think the public still see us as a very valuable partner to the country both in the terms of the money that we bring and the projects we have done.

@Bangladeshis please feel free to comment.

@madx
@ShadowFaux
@BDforever
@sepoi
@RiasatKhan
@UKBengali
@CaPtAiN_pLaNeT
@eastwatch
@animelive
@DURJOY
@Moander
@iajdani
@asad71

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont want to grow like China their graphical slope is tooo much in height. This type of growth isnt ideal. The fast it can grow it can easily fall. I just want to see BD maintain its growth 7-9%. Thats enough. By that way we can easily reach our milestone to a middle income country.

infra strcture, power suppy,proper management of the man power ,political stabitility and anti corruption .pls ensure me i ensure you another malaysia or vietnam or thailand pretty soon. bd has a great hope in future.garments trading , ship building,micro electronics,pharmaceuticals these four sector can be our pioneer hope.

One problem Bangladesh have is its small size and fast growth in population. Bangladesh should start increasing in purchase of land in Africa and establish farms, industries etc. to other nations. Extra burden and increased Dependent population may hurt BD in coming times.

BD is smart country and it should have a plans for decades ahead a,d situation that may rise.

India and China are already a good market for BD's textile industries.

India and China should keep BD's interest in mind for creating economic zone.

infra strcture, power suppy,proper management of the man power ,political stabitility and anti corruption .pls ensure me i ensure you another malaysia or vietnam or thailand pretty soon. bd has a great hope in future.garments trading , ship building,micro electronics,pharmaceuticals these four sector can be our pioneer hope.

if all these problems are eradicated then any country can become USA why just China? But the difficulty is these are too big problems for any developing country and they do not disappear within a few years.

dont be a hopeless :D , look some past about malaysia,vietnam,thailand ,indonesia .before 40 years ago they were below GDP than us. and now? well we are moving forward too. and another thing i must tell tell you once the british raj ruled us.now who cares them? INDIA is the 4th superpower now and has 3 times more investment in UK than the british investment in INDIA.we are the same ppl dont forget.and yeah bd is doing well .see us in next 30 years :)

One problem Bangladesh have is its small size and fast growth in population. Bangladesh should start increasing in purchase of land in Africa and establish farms, industries etc. to other nations. Extra burden and increased Dependent population may hurt BD in coming times.

BD is smart country and it should have a plans for decades ahead a,d situation that may rise.

India and China are already a good market for BD's textile industries.

India and China should keep BD's interest in mind for creating economic zone.

Thanks for your good opinion. But, Bangladesh cannot possibly project itself outside of its small boundary. Although, population is large, it will keep on increasing until it is stabilized at 200 million, a big number, indeed. But, BD has little choice than to plan within many limits, such as, small land, small natural resources base and a big population. I think, even with all these negative factors, BD economy will increase for the next two or three decades.

Comparing to its land area the population is high. But, this large population is one of the factors that has initially started the development process, both in the social, education, industrial and infrastructure sectors. Look at the figures of agriculture production. It has more than doubled since 1971. The growth has outpaced the growth of population.

I have seen, on my recent trip, many crop lands in and around my district town have been converted to forest lands. There are more than 200 saw mills in my town and its surroundings, whereby there was only one saw mill about 15 years ago. This is also a part of progress, because some people can afford to wait 12 years to get the benefits of selling their grown up trees, and it is happening because many more people now can afford the luxury of purchasing furniture. It is happening not only in the townships, but also in the villages. The houses in the villages are now being built soooo beautifully, I was surprised to see.

I am not saying population should keep on growing, but there is no way it will stop before it hits 200 million figure. So, BD has to think ways to utilize these hands as best as it is possible. One result is the outward moving out of some of the population, from where they are sending $13billion per year that makes it possible to import raw materials and fuels.

As the country progresses the young population are given higher education. These young people will contribute to and manage the future economic development of the country. So, I think instead of thinking the present population number in a negative light, the BD planners should steer the country with the assistance from this population. This is really what is already happening in the country.

Note one thing, even with such a large population no one is dying hungry. Please disregard the dwindling number of beggars in Dhaka. It is their own choice. They can be fruitfully employed, only if they wish to be.

Bangladesh has the capability to grow very quickly...... for that instance any small country with good reforms can have decent growth rate .
For example look at African countries . Many small countries there are growing at a rate of 18% growth :woot: .
The first thing that BD should be lookinv forward is good governance who must have the priority to allow massive inflow of investments from all over the world.

@eastwatch Well I think BD should follow China as far as development of Human resources is concerned. Look at China, with focus on education and skill developing technical training centers, they have created a good pool of skilled labors, engineers, entrepreneurs and innovators.

BD has democracy and people should stand against Corruption just like they stood against War Criminals. BD can also get benefit from India in developing service sectors like IT and from China in Manufacturing sector.

Providing Transit to India and China in return of water, transfer of Knowledge, infrastructure building will provide rapid growth.

Personally I want, this area of Indian NE-Bengal Bihar-Bangladesh-Nepal-Bhutan-China-Myanmar to develop as Major Economic hub. Along with Indonesia, Malayasia.

SAARC may have failed but a new Economic Cooperation Organization should be made. Lets see if we can work this out.

As for size, look at Japan, with hard work and nationalism they have become such a potent and developed nation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bangladesh is Bangladesh...
so why to compare it with some other countries??
It would frow like it should...
and Behgali deserves much growth..:tup:
Make yourself example...
take the lead and choose your own path rather than following footsteps of any other country.....:)

To BD friends....apart from Texttile, which is famous from BD, what is the other product that has a good export value to India?..

Bangladesh can become one of the fastest growing economies but the Jamaatis and religious extremist elements will always try to spoil the party. Unless and until these clowns are brought to book, Bangladesh will continue to lag behind.

China and Bangladesh both have huge population. But Bangladesh is very small compare to china. The secret of china's high growth rate is political stability, long term planning, cheap labor, infrastructure, resource utilization etc. But China's one child policy will backfire in the near future. On the other hand, Bangladesh only got cheap who are not even skilled but still we got GDP over 6%. So, if we can ensure political stability, long term planning, cheap labor, infrastructure, resource utilization etc. we can easily have growth rate equal to china.

Back
Top Bottom